Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 May, 2017, 11:17:13 AM
Really, I could go on and on about this particular genre, it pickles my fancy so very much, and this is before we even get into the euro-crime subgenre (though both WHTDTS? and WHTDTYD? are crossovers in this regard, particularly the later) but for now, i'd say these are good entry points for some of the none Argento or Bava Snr. titles.

I've been looking around and getting some of these giallo movies recommended, but while I'm at it... any recommendations for those euro-crime movies?  :cool:

Almost Human (1974) looks lively, by that Lenzi guy, and Gambling City also looks promising. What are your favs that you've seen in that genre so far?

Hawkmumbler

Almost Human is essential! Lenzi and Millian at there barmy best, and while your at it, The Cynic, The Rat and the Fist aint half bad either, starring the omnipotent genre icons Merli.

When it comes to eurocrime, one director rains supreme however, Fernando Di Leo. He directed some of the snazziest, classy and intriguing mob movies ever, his opus being Milano Caliber 9, a movie that can go toe to toe with Goodfellas, but then he also directed some glorious trash like The Boss, which is glorious in it's own way.

Dellamano concluded his trilogy after WHTDTYD? And WHTDTS? with an out and out cop thriller, Colt 38 Action Squad. It's a fairly gritty fair, but one of the beat of the genre. In stark contrast is the barmy Di Keo scripted (and candidate for the best title to a movie ever) Live Like a Cop...Die Like a Man! from Rogero Deodato. It opens with an unlicensed motorcycle chase that saw the director taken to court and concludes with a miniature sea yot exploding on a freeze frame. It's awesome!

Greg M.

I'm not so well-versed in this genre, but I did enjoy Enzo G. Castellari's The Big Racket. I saw it described as Death Wish via The Magificent Seven, which is about right.

Eric Plumrose

In an uncharacteristic act of pure evilness the Souster woman switched over to PROMETHEARSE on Channel 4 and promptly fell asleep on the remote.

It's still on. As. I. Type.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

PsychoGoatee

Thanks for the recommendations, many cool looking movies to check out!

I saw Sexy Beast recently by the way, pretty entertaining stuff.

Smith

Dead Presidents.It goes all the way from a slice-of-life to a war film to a heist film.
Also,painting your self like a mime might not be the best disguise.

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Alien : Covenant

[spoiler]Or should that be Prometheus 2? Since I got home half an hour after seeing it I am still processing the film, but I can say without hesitation that it was much better than Alien 3, Resurrection, AVP, AVP:R and Prometheus. I'm still not sure how I feel about how much this film changes Alien lore. Definitely go and see it at the cinema because the effects and scenery are both gorgeous. Some of the casting choices weren't up to par, but the action and gore made up for that. I think a re-watch is in order to give it a proper evaluation but on first watch I'd say make this the next film you see.[/spoiler]

If you didn't like Prometheus I'm not sure how much enjoyment you will get from this as it feels more like a sequel to that than a continuation of the Alien saga. But it was well worth the $10.50 entry price.

Andy Lambert

The Void
Certainly earns it's 18 rating, and for an independently made movie, it's pretty impressive as it focuses on practical effects rather than CGI. Very nighmarish in a Carpenter/The Thing/Event Horizon kinda way, but it does lose some coherency towards the end.

Mattofthespurs

Alien: Covenant

[spoiler]I enjoyed it but not as much as I was hoping for. The first hour is very slow paced and if you haven't seen Prometheus then much of it will go over your head. The final 30 minutes are fun, and much more of what I had hoped for. I shall be going to see it again next week. A solid 7/10 for me. Good but not as good as it could have been and poses more questions than it answers.[/spoiler]

DKCX

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 May, 2017, 09:37:31 PM
Quote from: DKCX on 05 May, 2017, 11:47:11 PM
Great thread, I'm working back through the whole lot (Page 704) and drawing up a list of movies that everyone has recommended.

Be interesting to see what you've picked out from here if you fancy sharing?

Mr Nobody
Strange Days
Existectz
THX 1138
Alpha Papa
triangle
the last stand
room 237
lockout
best in show
colossal
the killer has reserved 9 seats
handmaiden
single man
the void
tickled
the wolfpack
suicide shop
young offenders
free fire
shin godzilla
Get out
Green Room
Black Dynamite
Swiss army man

This list represents movies recommended that I haven't seen going back to page 680 so far... Existectz I have seen but want to see it again.

DKCX

Mr Nobody
Strange Days
Existectz
THX 1138
Alpha Papa
triangle
the last stand
room 237
lockout
best in show
colossal
the killer has reserved 9 seats
handmaiden
single man
the void
tickled
the wolfpack
suicide shop
young offenders
free fire
shin godzilla
get out
green room
black dynamite
swiss army man
What Happened Miss Simone
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Slow West
Porco Rosso
The BFG
life of crime
captain fantastic
War on Everyone
The founder
split
Hunt for the wilderpeople
Crimson Peak
A monster calls
Bone Tomahawk
UNder the shadow
Ethel and Ernest
cop car
A walk among tombstones
Pusher Trilogy
The Homesman
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
April and the Extraordinary World

Missed half my list in the last posting, looking forward to checking these out!

Colin YNWA

Wow you got some time on your hands!

Tiplodocus

And not one single film with SHIT  in the title.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

SHIT GODZILLA

Just kidding, Shin Goji is AMAZING!

Mardroid

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 13 May, 2017, 07:30:01 AM
Alien: Covenant

[spoiler]I enjoyed it but not as much as I was hoping for. The first hour is very slow paced and if you haven't seen Prometheus then much of it will go over your head. The final 30 minutes are fun, and much more of what I had hoped for. I shall be going to see it again next week. A solid 7/10 for me. Good but not as good as it could have been and poses more questions than it answers.[/spoiler]

On my way back from the cinema after seeing this and this review pretty much matches mine.

[spoiler]I wish I hadn't read and watched online as much as I had before as they spoiled too much. Also not keen on Davids role in the alien genesis, but the twist at the end was interesting. [/spoiler]