Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 July, 2016, 12:17:53 PM
With a lot of rave reviews here I picked up the FCBD comic of this and wasn't that fussed. Maybe didn't have time to get going? Can anyone sell it to me?
It's really, really silly.

And the first volume is only a couple of quid.
We never really die.

CalHab

Dark Horse have discounted most of their stuff Comixology. I've taken the opportunity to catch up with Hellboy in Hell, and will probably go through the rest later,

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 July, 2016, 12:17:53 PM
With a lot of rave reviews here I picked up the FCBD comic of this and wasn't that fussed. Maybe didn't have time to get going? Can anyone sell it to me?
One-Punch Man I can see as being very marmite to someone who doesn't read manga on a regular basis. What I will say though is devour the first volume, then decide what your take on it is. Often times manga chapters read better in the collected format and OPM is no exception. Also, the art gets crazy good early on.

And it doesn't appear to be on the UK comixology anyway... :|

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 July, 2016, 12:50:49 PM

Its there, each volume is 2.99, so tempted.What's it actually about?

IndigoPrime

50p Progs, Megs and EEs over at the store.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 July, 2016, 05:22:46 PM

It's about Saitama, a man, bored with his life to the point of narcissism, who one day decided he wanted to be a superhero (explained in chapter 2). Only problem is he became too strong, and now defeats every villain he encounters with a single punch. So he's back to being bored and narcistic...and jobless. The comic is a series of bizarre adventures where Saitama finds himself against increasingly outlandish circumstances, the real joy comes from his interactions with the supporting cast. The series has a vinyet style attitude to story arcs so theres no real over hanging motives or goals (recent developments however might tip that out of balance) instead utilising Saitamas dead pan attitude to life to achieve some genuinly brilliant comedic timing.

It also acts as a giant piss take (and love letter) to the super hero and shounen genres.

And the art is fucking amazing, did I mention the art?!

chris_askham

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 July, 2016, 05:34:09 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 July, 2016, 05:22:46 PM

It's about Saitama, a man, bored with his life to the point of narcissism, who one day decided he wanted to be a superhero (explained in chapter 2). Only problem is he became too strong, and now defeats every villain he encounters with a single punch. So he's back to being bored and narcistic...and jobless. The comic is a series of bizarre adventures where Saitama finds himself against increasingly outlandish circumstances, the real joy comes from his interactions with the supporting cast. The series has a vinyet style attitude to story arcs so theres no real over hanging motives or goals (recent developments however might tip that out of balance) instead utilising Saitamas dead pan attitude to life to achieve some genuinly brilliant comedic timing.

It also acts as a giant piss take (and love letter) to the super hero and shounen genres.

And the art is fucking amazing, did I mention the art?!

It's funny and it looks good.
If you don't like manga, then it's probably not your thing.
But if you do, worth a punt for 2.99

Colin YNWA

Stumbled across Rok of the Reds in Forbidden Planet baragain box in Sheffield for 30p! Had been trade waiting this as I'd not seen it around, this has changed my mind!

Colin YNWA

Ha! Over in 'What's Everyone Reading' town I've just shot my nerd bolt (thank you sir if you pick up the reference) over the first Volume of Elephantmen which I've just read and said I'm going to have to trackdown the rest. Well the comics Gods are smiling on fatboy today and after thinking some of the hardcopies are looking a little steep and hard to get hold of (shame as I'd have prefered these) I stumbled over to Comixology to see what you can get digitally, thinking I could wait for the next Image sale.

Well turns out there is no wait as image have a San Deigo themed sale on RIGHT NOW with a host of trades available for £2.99 (take that Bexit comic cost increases) including all the Elephantmen trades.

I'm holding off just to check a couple of other hardcopy channels but suspect in the morning I'll be about 30 quid lighter but dancing a jig of comicy happiness. I love these regular Image sales!

CalHab

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 July, 2016, 08:48:20 PM
Stumbled across Rok of the Reds in Forbidden Planet baragain box in Sheffield for 30p! Had been trade waiting this as I'd not seen it around, this has changed my mind!

It's a fun reminder of the glory days of football comics. I'm really looking forward to the second issue.

It's a shame it's not in the newsagents, as I think it would really appeal to a lot of kids and show them there's life in comics beyond superheroes and burly men with guns (unless they appear in issue 2).

CalHab

Dredd vs Mars Attacks is up for sale at comixology. Is it worth a read?

IndigoPrime

I thought it was pretty good.

Hawkmumbler

I digged it as well, the E-Wing droid writes good Dredd.

I, Cosh

Quote from: CalHab on 09 August, 2016, 10:30:47 PM
It's Al Ewing writing silly Dredd with John McCrea art. It's great.
We never really die.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 09 August, 2016, 11:04:07 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 09 August, 2016, 10:30:47 PM
It's Al Ewing writing silly Dredd with John McCrea art. It's great.

It's frikkin awesome is what it is!!!  Martians! Dredd! Anderson! Don Uggie! Judge Pal bubblegum cards! The best Dredd not printed in 2000AD ever!!!