Main Menu

Prog 1914 Crowd Buster

Started by Skullmo, 17 January, 2015, 12:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Another belter of a cover from Alex Ronald. 

Dredd: Art is as impressive as you could wish for, and the story proceeds as one would expect for the Dark Judges.  As to the 5th body thing....I do notice one empty coffin in the 3rd panel of the first page, with 2 corpses occupying the coffins beside them, presumable Fire and Mortis as they have no helmets....then we see Both Death and Fear (helmets on) rise from their coffins, so perhaps there was indeed requirement for a 5th body.  The idea that it's PJ does hold water for me, simply due to the fact we've seen nothing of him thus far, and it'd be a terrible waste to not have featured him.  Plus there's the whole '5 bodies' thing.  Athough there is also weight to the argument that it's just an error, as in the previous instalment, Death gets into his coffin which has Fire on his right....and when he 'wakes', it's Fear on his right, and there is an indication of a further empty coffin on his left (Page 2, 1st panel, obscured by inset panel) which wasn't there before.  May well be not so much a mistake as misdirection, in order to have the '5th coffin resident' reveal as a surprise, but that had 'clues' all along.  Whatever the reasons, still loving the strip.

Ulysses Sweet  Still poop. And just today, I finally clicked what it reminds me of (not so much in content, but tone) is Captain Klep, which even as a kid I thought was puerile nonsense.

Orlock Continues to intrigue....what's he up to??? Nice touch with the wee slow-mo vial on the bed....sex on slow-mo......interesting idea to say the least!

The Order Okay.....I'm getting drawn in, I admit it.  It's well written, even if it did seem like old ground to begin with, and the art is wonderful.  Glad to say I was wrong about this one initially.

Savage Still liking the art, but that's all.  The way Savage 'confused' the Hammerstien operator was just so contrived it clunked off the page.  Looks like it'll be around a few weeks yet...oh well, at least it's pretty!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Skullmo

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 January, 2015, 03:17:26 PM
Yeah, you can get too bogged down in how things work - it can be a bit of fun, but it can also get a bit like reading a Haynes manual, and irrelevant to the story.

You don't need to have everything shown.

I agree you can get too bogged down. But for me it detracted from the story flow because they were in the tanks with no helmets and then suddenly they had helmets. I was just voicing my view.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Steve Green

They don't though.

The only two who have helmets are Death and Fear.

Fire is just a flaming skull and Mortis is shown changing (as he did in the DoC MacNeil story)

Steve Green

Fear's helmet is shown clearly in the previous prog as being in the nearest coffin in the panel.

Cutler puts on Death's costume and helmet and gets in the empty one.

Fire's head is just from the donor corpse once it's on fire and so is Mortis' once it mutates into a sheep/horse skull.

Mortis' head isn't a helmet.

Skullmo

Well that's the mystery explained.

Frank

Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day, entirely by chance. They gave him a magic potion, which turned him into a ghost. He's only a zombie until he gets killed, then he turns into a ghost for as long as it takes to find someone else to turn into a zombie, and then his ghost possesses them, until that zombie gets killed as well. He and his three zombie friends have magical powers, and they can travel in time, space, between dimensions, and into other publishers' comic books thanks to some aliens they met completely by chance.

Judge Death is his real name.

How the magical-space-zombie-ghost managed to buy two novelty helmets aboard a spaceship full of billionaires, which has its own baseball park, is the least credulity-stretching aspect of the whole affair.

Steve Green

Skullmo

mejustnow

Butch wins the internet. Now... will Fire buy the farm first again? It's like a running gag at this point.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: mejustnow on 17 January, 2015, 05:49:56 PM
Now... will Fire buy the farm first again? It's like a running gag at this point.

I think you mean Fear...
@jamesfeistdraws

Bat King

A few preview pages on my blog if anyone wants a peak before Wednesday.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

ZenArcade

When you think about it you have 2 crappy Dark Judges: Fear and Mortis; one reasonably dangerous: Death and one mean hombre: Fire. I hope J W makes them utterly horrifying in this one. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Greg M.

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 January, 2015, 09:52:26 PM
When you think about it you have 2 crappy Dark Judges: Fear and Mortis

Mortis is crappy? You take that back, sir! In what way is he any less effective than Death? (I'll give you Fire as the most dangerous, though - he's undoubtedly the deadliest and the hardest one to deal, with even though he's the least interesting of them.)

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 January, 2015, 09:52:26 PM
When you think about it you have 2 crappy Dark Judges: Fear and Mortis; one reasonably dangerous: Death and one mean hombre: Fire. I hope J W makes them utterly horrifying in this one. Z

In what way is Mortis crappy?! T'other day I re-read the sectuon in Necropolis where he chases the cadets through the Undercity and it is terrifying.
@jamesfeistdraws

ZenArcade

Zen slowly winds back from his intemperate statement. No, kidding aside, I do want this to reveal the Dark Judges in all their cruel, empty majesty. I read the Zarjaz and Dog breath issue with the Dark Judges and it got across the horror of what these truely sociapathic things represent (especially the story with the mother and the choice given between her and her child). The ship acts just as the undercity did, a confined space with nowhere to hide. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead