Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 November, 2009, 09:05:41 AM

On balance, I like having the book come out on a reasonably reliable schedule ... if there were two and three month gaps between issues, I suspect I'd lose interest quite rapidly.

Since there's a skip month in December according to DCs advanced solicitations Febuary will actually have two issues so it catchs up! Hows that for keeping the pace going. 

Judge Cassidy

I'm currently collecting the comic version of 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' and enjoying it greatly (first time I've ever had a comic on subscription order at Forbidden Planet). Blade Runner is all well and good, but I've always wanted to see 'Sheep' done in a visual format and this is working very well. I love the fact they have gone out of their way not to simply copy designs from 'Blade Runner', aside from giving Deckard a big brown trenchcoat (but then again, surely that's what instantly springs to anyone's mind when you hear the name Rick Deckard- the coat). I'm passing the comics on to my dad when I've read them and he is enjoying them as well; I told him there'd probably be a big collected volume at the end of the run, but he said he was happy to have the individual issues! Very unusual for him...
In this city, Justice comes at a price- that price is FREEDOM!

HdE

I just read the graphic novel 'Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising', which I gather has raised a bit of hype for itself. It got a feature in a digital arts magazine I read regularly a few months back, and the amazing looking artwork made me me punt it to the top of my 'stuff to buy' pile.

Oh dear.

Easily the most disappointing comic I've read this year. A real missed opportunity. I feel so badly for everyone involved.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Christov

Finally got my hands on Zen and Violence after days of missing the Postman by mere minutes.

Sadly, I blasted through the whole 170-something pages in around 45 minutes, but it left me wanting more. Charming, exciting, and it captures the attention in a way few comics truly do. Lovely stuff.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 19 November, 2009, 08:24:14 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 November, 2009, 11:58:38 PM
I know some of us keep banging on about it ...

But Morrison's really doing the business on Batman and Robin ...

Cheers!

Jim

Just finished reading this issue. I'm running out of superlatives.

You know some things are just worth banging on about. Read this on the way to Leeds today and it is simply brillant.

SmallBlueThing

I'm about to give Marvel Zombies 4 my third attempt. Loved One, Two was dismal, but made readable by Sean Phillips's art, Three was magnificent- but this, this is simply so turgid as to defy belief. Even Kev Walker's drawings can't save this one I think.

A real shame.

SBT (crying because his zombies let him down)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 November, 2009, 05:35:41 PM

You know some things are just worth banging on about. Read this on the way to Leeds today and it is simply brillant.

Bolt-01 tells me I missed you at Thought Bubble, Colin ... sorry about that!

CHeers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Didn't realise you were there Jim. To be honest a bad nights sleep, not for once due to our 5 month old but rather by wife who's suffering with a hacking cough means you didn;t miss much. Was knackered and really not on the best of form and left by about 3! Dagnabbit. Still nice to meet a couple of people and will be great to meet more at a later date.

Zarjazzer

"Innocence proves nothing" by Sandy Mitchell. More Dark Heresy mayhem. Fun so far.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Dandontdare

Recently treated myself to the 6 volumes of Swamp Thing written by Alan Moore. It must be 15 years since I read these, but it's a testament to their quality that I remember almost every detail. There are Marvel and DC GNs that I read in the last month that I couldn't summarise if my life depended on it!

Roger Godpleton

I finished Damnation Alley today. What a great book.

I'm on the last volume of In Search of Last Time. We get it, your fat girlfriend died, we don't need, like, 80 pages of moping. [/faux philistinism]
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kerrin

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 22 November, 2009, 07:39:05 PM
[/faux philistinism]

I didn't know you pretended to collect stamps Roger. That's great.

I'm halfway through rereading the 'Hyperion' omnibus and I'm trying to decide between 'The Court of the Air' by Stephen Hunt next, or 'Black Swan Green' by David Mitchell.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 22 November, 2009, 07:39:05 PM
I'm on the last volume of In Search of Last Time. We get it, your fat girlfriend died, we don't need, like, 80 pages of moping. [/faux philistinism]
Germaine Greer had a diverting column in The Guadian the other week concerned, in amongst the posing, with the difficulty in translating style. Which are you reading?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/nov/08/germaine-greer-proust

Quote from: Kerrin on 22 November, 2009, 07:57:13 PM
I'm halfway through rereading the 'Hyperion' omnibus and I'm trying to decide between 'The Court of the Air' by Stephen Hunt next, or 'Black Swan Green' by David Mitchell.
Black Swan Green isn't as good as Cloud Atlas, but it has a poorly researched reference to 2000AD in it.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Just finished Sansom's Dissolution, the first Shardlake book.  It doesn't start well, but picks up nicely, and has a good end.  There's a very nice joke about Name of the Rose about a third of the way through that I wish had been at the start, as the comparison was painful up to that point (murder in a monastery, with religious schism and secular control as a backdrop).  Pity that I twigged the murderer as soon as they appeared.  Still, looking forward to the next one.

Kerrin

I thought they improved markedly after 'Dissolution' TB. There must be a new one on the way soon.