Main Menu

Wolfenstein-some SPOILERS

Started by Zarjazzer, 23 August, 2009, 09:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Finally after an eight year wait we get a sequel to the sequel that was Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Basically the plot is, if you don't know, Nazis and their undead allies being blown away by you, playing  as B.J Blazkowicz an American soldier and expert in the occult.

The good- excellent graphics and new weapons, Fun physics so you can cause massive destruction and unpleasant deaths such as levitating a baddie nazi occult scientist then setting him on fire by blasting nearby explodey things. And watch him buuuurrn! A joy. And you have superpowers at the start which you'll either like or hate.

the bad-the map system used to navigate is basically crap. Even following the compass can lead you astray but the missions are relatively short. Also the town of Eisengrad where it's set is a bit dull. The streets are all a bit alike and you soon notice you're going round the same streets several times. Worse of all the magnificent leather clad killer Nazi babes of Return have been replaced by rather feebler killer babes that fire miserable little blasts at you or whip you. Ahem. There are some excellent new baddies  chuckling psychos with knives, invisibility and superspeed are quite chlling. The ending though where you have to knock off the same guy three times is frankly an annoyance.

It's good  could have been  better! 8 out 10.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

the shutdown man

There's a new Wolfenstein game? How the hell did I not hear about this?

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Dark Jimbo

I must admit I'm not too keen. Think I prefer 'Return...' to this. I'm not sure quite what it is, but something indefinable seems to have been lost.

And no, I'm not too keen on the superpowers.
@jamesfeistdraws

GordonR

Quote from: the shutdown man on 24 August, 2009, 11:31:25 AM
There's a new Wolfenstein game? How the hell did I not hear about this?

Sadly, the reviews seem to be pointing solidly toward the "it's a bit shit, really" end of the spectrum.

Save your galactic groats for Batman: Arkham Asylum, out the end of this week, I think.

Zarjazzer

The AI is a bit problematic. Sometimes the troops are dangerous chasing you out with umpteen grenades and ambushing you. Sometimes they just seem to line up to be blasted.

the fabulous first "Far Cry" frankly had better AI than this. They've had eight years and while i did enjoy it (apart from the ending) and i will play it again, I feel that they may have just missed the essentials somehow. Also originally Blaskowicz was tough and grizzled like say Bruce Willis now he just looks like a male model, leather biker jacket and all.

The Black sun universe is I feel an okay idea but isn't scary enough,(like the hell section in Doom3)  or weird enough  (as in the first Half Life) to really grab the attention.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

bluemeanie

Am playing this at the moment and quite enjoying it. Has a kind of semi retro "Get from point A to B, kill everything" feel and it really does look gorgeous.
Just a shame they make you want to use the veil thing so much as it then kills the graphics with a washed out green filter.

Zarjazzer

Quote from: bluemeanie on 25 August, 2009, 09:32:47 AM

Just a shame they make you want to use the veil thing so much as it then kills the graphics with a washed out green filter.

And at one point I left the veil "sight" off in a darkened part of the hospital and the German guards couldn't see me. Bizarre. I do like upgrading th e weapons but haven't tried it yet with any of th e superpowers except expanding the amount of magical energy you can use -that only seemed to work for a bit though.I'm probably doing something wrong.