Main Menu

Go Speed Racer GOOOOOO!!!

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 02 January, 2007, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philt

You know I have absolutely no recollection of the cartoon this is based on. Was it ever shown on the UK or did I just miss it?

Devons Daddy

i think its a Japanese based cartoon. isnt it, i have seen it in several different languages,malay,tamil,english,japanese,mandarin.
its very popular out here in asia.

constantly repeated on both cable and free to air tv.
could be a winner this one.after transformers,i have high hopes.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Keef Monkey

I loved the cartoon as a kid(the theme tune was banging),but this just looks like a kids film so I doubt I'll enjoy it much.

Richmond Clements

I've never seen the cartoon, and wasn't convinced by anything I'd read about this (the Wakoskis[sp] have already done their best work in my opinion).

But that trailer looks like mental OTT sensory overloaded fun. Looks like Wipeout: The Movie.

ThryllSeekyr

The Mach 5, the car Speed Racer drove in the series (known as the "Mach Go", or simply the "Mach" in the Japanese version), is a technological marvel, containing useful pieces of equipment. These gadgets were easily deployed by pressing buttons marked 'A' through 'G' on the steering wheel hub. There was another button, marked 'H', mounted in the console.

The buttons had the following functions:

Button A (Auto Jacks): â??Releases powerful jacks to boost the car so anyone can quickly make any necessary repairs or adjustments.â? Although not designed for this function, the auto jacks can also be used to â??jumpâ? the car short distances at high speeds. The "chyock chyock" sound effect played whenever the car jumped through the air is instantly recognizable to the show's fans.
Button B (Belt Tires): Toggles special grip tires for traction over rough terrain (firm, icy, or unsteady ground, ocean floor, vertical mountainsides). At the same time, 5,000 horsepower is distributed equally to each wheel by auxiliary engines.
Button C (Cutters): For use traveling over heavily wooded terrain. A matched pair of powerful rotary saws protrude from the front of the Mach 5 to cut away many obstacles.
Button D (Deflector): Releases a powerful transparent cover which seals the cockpit into an air-tight chamber. The cover is bullet- and crash-proof. The cockpit becomes a water-tight chamber which then allows the car to be completely submerged under water.
Button E * ("Evening Eye"): Controls special illumination lights "which can be controlled singularly or in tandem", allowing the driver to see more clearly than with ordinary headlights. When used with the â??night shadesâ? attached to Speedâ??s helmet, his vision is enhanced with infrared light. The original Japanese version strictly translates this as "illuminating eyes".
Button E was later modified to activate mini-wings that would slide out from under the car to assist Speed in long jumps.
Button F (Frogger mode): Used when the Mach 5 is submerged. An oxygen canister supplies the cockpit with breathable air. A periscope can then be raised to scan the surface of the water. Everything viewed is relayed to a video screen inside the Mach 5's cockpit. The 100-pound auxiliary supply of oxygen is enough to last for thirty minutes.
Button G (Gizmo Rocket): Releases a flying, gull-shaped "homing robot" from under the hood of the car.
Button H (Home): Mounted in the center console with the rest of the controls for the homing robot, this button sends the homing robot back to the Racer house.

This all the stuff that the 'Mach Five' can do in the original cartoon. You don't need alternate reality FX such as as what is being used in this film already to stop i from looking dumb.

They have doing stuff like this in quite few more realistic film featuring gadet cars and or motorcylces, boats, jet planes.

Watch any old James Bond film.

'Night Rider' is a damn good example.

'StormBreaker' I know there is no car here, really, but you get my idea about Spy movie where the hero gets to use alot of weird James Bond style gadgets.

'The Avengers' The old series and the movie. Again I am not altogether sure if ther is a speicl car here, but you get my idea.

Even if some of these films weren't really that good. They still didn't need the sugary coating that has now been applied to 'Speed Racer' adaption.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtIu61s2PDo&feature=related" target="_blank">Old cartoon opening and closing theme