Previous topic - Next topic

Fatboydale

bing ......Ro-buster splash by Mick Mcmahon from 2000ad issue 113 pg 30

hippynumber1

Wow! Three real beauties there Dale!

hippynumber1

Quote from: Fatboydale on 05 May, 2013, 11:52:44 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 05 May, 2013, 11:48:38 PM
Is that from 'The Rise and Fall of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein'?

all i am saying its an awesome page ....only person that will get it will be Joe Soap ...

And I was part-way there!

Steven Sterlacchini

Very cool, especially the Dredd image.

I real gem.

Spikes

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 08 May, 2013, 08:11:58 PM
Quote from: Fatboydale on 05 May, 2013, 11:52:44 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 05 May, 2013, 11:48:38 PM
Is that from 'The Rise and Fall of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein'?

all i am saying its an awesome page ....only person that will get it will be Joe Soap ...

And I was part-way there!

And i wasnt even close with my guess! But a super page, Dale.

Quote from: Fatboydale on 08 May, 2013, 07:29:56 PM
booooooooooooooommmmmmmm

But this is load of shoddy crap, did CF buy you it to counter that piece you bought him? I reckon so, in that case, to save your embaressment ill take it off your hands.........

opaque

The Cam stuff was amazing, it must have all gone now surely?

I'm very happy I got the last warlock page :)

Just waiting on a reply from CAF about uploading multiple photos and I might get mine up there at some point! Still missing a few prog/page details though.

Link Prime

A trio of classics Dale....love the Ro-Busters page.
I'll be throwing embarrassingly low bids your way some day soon!

Jo-L

That Ro-Busters page is really amazing.  Nice pick-up.

NeilFord

Robusters page is wonderful Dale! I'm so jealous! :)

SuperSurfer

Amazing classic artwork.

Looking at that Robusters page, it brings to mind what I have thought for years – that era of letterers must have had nerves of steel to draw all those caption box and speech bubble outlines directly onto artwork. 

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 May, 2013, 11:27:21 AM
Amazing classic artwork.

Looking at that Robusters page, it brings to mind what I have thought for years – that era of letterers must have had nerves of steel to draw all those caption box and speech bubble outlines directly onto artwork.

I always think the very same thing.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Wake

The letters are on separate pieces of paper that have been pasted onto the artwork, which is why they go translucent with age. My prog 1 Harlem Heroes page does have lettering directly onto the art, but in that case Dave Gibbons did his own lettering (and presumably there are different rules for launch issue artwork anyway, since he did use separate pieces on the other page I have from prog 16).

Bubba Zebill

It's the fact that the lettering is doing something irreversible to the original art. The letterer can't easily fix ink that has smudged or run due to a mistake - hence the comment about nerves of steel. Even for Dave Gibbons who could fix his smudges (although I doubt he made any) it would be a pain. It's just so surprising to see, no money for / or method established for / acetate or perhaps no easy way to photograph pages with letters pasted over acetate in those days.

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

o1s1n

Absolutely wonderful pages. Well done Dale - I don't know how you do it!  :o

Regarding lettering - remember, if a mistake was made, it's going to black and white print. Nothing a bit of tipex won't sort. (If there's anything I've learned from my Hicklenton pages is that tipex is okay!)

Not that there are any lettering inconsistencies in those pasted bubbles on the Ro-busters art. Lovely work so it is.

Have to say, I love the way the pastes go translucent, get to see the artwork again! :D

Greg M.

Quote from: o1s1n on 09 May, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
Have to say, I love the way the pastes go translucent, get to see the artwork again! :D

Yeah, I love seeing through 'em and getting to witness those little fragments of art that never graced the prog.