Main Menu

Charley's War Bookplates

Started by Tjm86, 28 March, 2018, 11:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Ah- it was a pleasure to see those glorious pages at such a whopping size. Makes me miss Joe Colquhoun all the more now.

Tweaked as I'm a fool...

Southstreeter

Well issue 2 has just arrived (went for the discount bulk buy) and it's got a bookplate! Thanks Tharg/Pat. Didn't expect that, maybe a wee mistake somewhere?

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Southstreeter on 21 May, 2018, 04:35:07 PM
Well issue 2 has just arrived (went for the discount bulk buy) and it's got a bookplate! Thanks Tharg/Pat. Didn't expect that, maybe a wee mistake somewhere?
Same here. I hope the peeps who ordered the bookplates don't get the plain ones.

TordelBack

Finally got my act together and bought Volume 1. What a product!

This must be my third or fourth time through Charley's War, first being in Battle itself (though not from the start), and it has never looked better.  I usually heartily dislike tampering with old comics for collected editions, I'd much rather see them as close to how they originally appeared as possible, "Next week!", half-page Weetabix adverts and all - but this refresh is a bonafide exception to the rule.  I applaud our very-own Jim and everyone else involved - the lettering upgrade is completely seamless, retouched surrounding art or not, wonderfully legible and entirely appropriate.  I  don't know how these things work at a technical level, but the apparent variety within the font makes the whole thing feel hand-lettered, and it sits easily against Colquhoun's incredible inks.

The inclusion of full-colour covers in the back, the coloured action scene on the front, all situate the material correctly, as a serialised boys' war comic of the 70s, rather than some illustrated historical treatise, and as such it shows just how incredibly far Mills and Colquohon have taken the medium and the milieu.

As with every re-read, I seem to get punched in the gut every couple of pages: it's an impact that never ceases to surprise, and never seems to fade. The power of this comic to move and inform has been gently moved into the current decade, and I couldn't be more impressed. 

TordelBack

Apologies for the misspelling of Colquhoun in the third paragraph above.

broodblik

I brought all 3 volumes digitally and every time I read it it feels like completely new. Everything about Charley's War oozes brilliance. Hopefully they will release the non-Mills story-line as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 July, 2018, 12:54:28 PM
Finally got my act together and bought Volume 1. What a product!

TBH, having leafed through the volumes released so far in FP etc I've thought the same.  It's just a shame they were paperback.  If they'd done hardbacks I'd have been in in a flash.  Hey ho.

Southstreeter

Quote from: broodblik on 26 July, 2018, 01:15:08 PM
Hopefully they will release the non-Mills story-line as well.
In Pat's commentary he says something to the effect that he regards his 1933 ending as the proper one and has no interest in seeing the rest collected, unless some one wanted to publish a Joe Colqhoun showcase or similar.