Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illyana

Message us your email address and what name you'd like on the no prize!

Quote from: Bad Andy on 18 April, 2021, 11:57:00 PM
Ha. Just catching up with episode 9 to find out I've won a no-prize! Go me.

Given I haven't read the whole epic yet (think I got to the start of the pirate arc) I hope I haven't spoilered myself!

Colin YNWA

Caught up while away - arh the joy of going away for a week! And the podcast continues to be a delight. I'd seen Simon's Facebook post mentioning the Kickstarter for Octobriana but knew nothing about the character so this gave a fantastic insight into what all that's going on about. I'm also interested in how Simon engaged with the strip and feed ideas in even when not doing the art. I'll be fascinated to hear of occasions when Simon specifically had ideas he wanted to draw them and whether the relationships and logistics in producing the series meant this was possible?

The other bit about the Octobriana story is Andy Clarke's art - he's one of the artists we got to see develop in front of our eyes in the Prog. Here it is raw and fiddly and as I recall we only get one more with 'The Hunting Party' (is it - the one with 'Slaine' and 'Sinister Dexter' in) it would have been fantastic to see the artist he became, even a year or so later when he worked on Sinister Dexter and had become and astonishing artist.

Oh and that final scene with Viktor sitting on the bed - for me its a shame that he burped - I mean its a funny moment, but did rather defuse the moment which was pretty terrifying otherwise. Viktor was always a favourite of mine. His silence gave him a real presense perversely.

Bad Andy

My No Prize cheered me up no end today!

Am I allowed to share it? Not sure I've secured my NFT rights.

Illyana

Quote from: Bad Andy on 19 April, 2021, 09:53:41 PM
My No Prize cheered me up no end today!

Am I allowed to share it? Not sure I've secured my NFT rights.

Of course you should share it! You won it!

Illyana

It's Wednesday and we're more shambolic than usual (one of my favorite words Simon uses often) so the podcast just went up!

http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2021/4/21/ep-10-the-movable-masque-feast

My apologies that I'm so damn chatty in this one. I was still delirious from my second vaccine shot. I have some ideas on how to organize my summaries better going forward so...enjoy the chaos here (I hope) and we'll rein me in better next ep.

Barrington Boots

I really liked the chatty and relaxed tone on this one!

Also what do we have to do to get Romanov boxer shorts? I'm pretty sure everyone on the board would buy a pair.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Just listening to episode 4 - the airship has "титаник" in Russian - that translates to "Titanic" :)

sheridan

Bad Andy

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

That's a glorious prize for a No Prize!

Bolt-01

Illyana

Hey folks! Putting the call out for listener questions! Anything you've wanted to ask Simon Fraser​​ or, heck, even me! ASAP would be great ❤️

Colin YNWA

We recently got a collection of Dante in hardcover via the Hachette collection and while its clearly part of a wider collection as a fan its a wonderful thing to have BUT what would be your ideal way for Dante to be presented? Or aren't you fussed, happy its all easily accessible via digital and don't worry about such things?

When you are asked to draw Dante by fans is it a sigh, as its like playing your greatest hits* again and again, or do you love the fact that its still so loved and enjoy returning to him and his world?

*This is based on the assumption that you consider Dante your greatest hit - which is me projecting, due to my own biase. Do you consider it your greatest work?

Finally (for now) you clearly travelled a lot while working on Dante, how do you think that influenced what we saw and which places you've lived do you think have had the greatest impact on your work generally?

Finally one for Edie. Is it odd being married to someone who has such a specific aspect to their fame? When you get middle aged, balding men past their prime (I speak for myself!) gushing and getting all star struck over Simon is that weird? You've also mentioned your a writer, where might we read your work?

Funt Solo

Why the long break (2003-2005) from art duties? Up until that point it was multi-artist and became mostly a two-hander with you and John Burns, but there's a long non-Fraser bit there where it looked like (from an ignorant reader's perspective) you were off the project.

Some thrills do spin-offs - especially popular ones. Given that Dante became one of the main cornerstones of the comic (part of the triumvirate of Dredd, Sin Dex & Dante that turned the quality of the weekly around from the mid-90s doldrums) and has such a large collection of compelling support acts, I'm surprised we haven't seen any side-thrills. Have spin-offs been mooted? Would you enjoy revisiting that world?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++