Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Quote from: wonkychop on 16 January, 2012, 12:49:24 PM
Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 12 January, 2012, 10:40:03 AM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 11 January, 2012, 02:05:09 PM
Venus Bluegenes didn't go over my head but I can't help thinking of her when I listen to 'Dirty Blue Gene' by the late great Captain Beefheart:

"She's not bad
She's just genetically mean"

I allways thought Venus Bluegenes was an amalgam of Velvet Underground and David Bowie

Venus in Furs and Blue Jean/The Jean Genie

could be both then... Big Eyed Beans From Venus/Bluejeans & Moonbeams by Don Van Vliet seem more likely though imho.

*Ahem*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_in_Blue_Jeans
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Roger Godpleton

When your mom squirted it went over my head.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

ming

That's what you get for being such a shortarse, Roger.

Gonk

Quote from: Noisybast on 16 January, 2012, 03:13:51 PM
Quote from: wonkychop on 16 January, 2012, 12:49:24 PM
Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 12 January, 2012, 10:40:03 AM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 11 January, 2012, 02:05:09 PM
Venus Bluegenes didn't go over my head but I can't help thinking of her when I listen to 'Dirty Blue Gene' by the late great Captain Beefheart:

"She's not bad
She's just genetically mean"

Neil Diamond?

I allways thought Venus Bluegenes was an amalgam of Velvet Underground and David Bowie

Venus in Furs and Blue Jean/The Jean Genie

could be both then... Big Eyed Beans From Venus/Bluejeans & Moonbeams by Don Van Vliet seem more likely though imho.

*Ahem*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_in_Blue_Jeans
coming at a cinema near you soon

SuperSurfer

I didn't know that Harke & Burr was a play on Burke & Hare – because I'd never heard of the latter.

Oh, and it didn't click until I read it, that Frank Quitely is a play on "quite frankly".

Cactus

Quote from: Dash Decent on 14 January, 2012, 11:54:57 PMBack on topic, I suppose I would have realised that GI females were called 'dolls' because of "Guys [GI's] & Dolls" if I'd thought about it long enough at the time....

Yup, I missed that one.  :-[ I always thought it was just because they were artificial.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Steve Green

Quote from: ming on 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM
I'm thinking of stuff like Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein (Rogers & Hammerstein), the Slavers of Drule and all those other puns and references that drifted gracefully over my head as a kid...  (Some of 'em still do.)

Anyway, I just spotted a 1949 Schlitz advert in a Grauniad New York photo gallery (http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2012/jan/06/new-york-photography-in-pictures#/?picture=384053709&index=4) sporting the slogan: "The beer that made Milwaukee famous"...

I guess that's where the Dredd classic "The Fear that made Milwaukee famous" came from.  I live and learn!

There is actually a Schlitz sign in a panel as well...

Gonk

It always went over my head the mythological references in Nemesis. For example Brother Hades the Pandemonium player who was a Mandrake. At the time I had no idea that Pandemonium or Hades were both the same or indeed that mandrakes were a type of plant that was meant to grow under the trees used for hanging criminals.

Ace Garp - Ace Card. ::)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: wonkychop on 27 January, 2012, 08:52:54 AM
Ace Garp - Ace Card.

Is it... if it is I'm letting myself off that one. Though looking at that logo...

Dash Decent

...and his head is pointy like the Spades symbol, hence "Ace" of Spades???
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

SpetsnaZ99

I thought it was inspired by The World According to Garp. Or is that just too obvious
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Gonk

SpetsnaZ99

You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Gonk

Ro - Busters, when something is tough it's called ROBUST/...(ers)

and it was also the name of a comic (Ro)... BUSTER...http://www.wackycomics.com/2011/07/buster-comic-library-29.html

Also I've only just noticed Devlin Waugh -- Evelyn Waugh was the author of Brideshead Revisted.

And "The Simping Detective" ---The Singing Detective a drama for television by Dennis Potter.

I'm sure others will turn up.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: wonkychop on 04 February, 2012, 11:44:38 AM
And "The Simping Detective" ---The Singing Detective a drama for television by Dennis Potter.

D'oh! How did I miss that? And why do these things always seem so obvious in retrospect?
@jamesfeistdraws