Main Menu

The 2000 AD Messageboard Advent Calendar 2018!

Started by Pete Wells, 30 November, 2018, 11:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rackle

Hi, mind if I add a little something to the calendar?

I see that Frank has set up a separate thread for the Jumper (Jimper) which was made for @CommandoForces  but I have a picture of the full knitted ensemble, including the knitted helmet.

Modelled by @Sheridan

Colin YNWA

As ever this is an almost direct swipe from the mighty Bill Watterson.

JayzusB.Christ

Right, the clock's gone midnight, so might as well get this one in now.

It was my brother Kieran who introduced me to the prog many, many years ago (I can't even remember a time before he read it in fact).  Although he lapsed a long time ago (though still enjoys dipping in) he has fond memories of the House of Tharg, and made me a Judge Death T-shirt for Christmas last year, which i snuck into the advent calendar on the 25th.  I love it and wear it as much as possible - I wore it today, in fact.

Anyway there's another one up for grabs - one size L to give away.  To be in with a chance to win it, just send me a PM with the words '2018 competition'.  I'll pick a name out of the hat on the 24th, announce it on a seperate thread in this section, and get it to the winner after Christmas (sorry, would love to send it as a Christmas gift, but there's no way it would get there on time).  Good luck and Merry Christmas!

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

...SWEATshirt, actually, not T-shirt. That'll larn me to post at midnight!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

I originally intended this to be a comic strip... but I left it too late and probably lack the talent for that anyway.

I might lack the talent for writing too, but this was an enjoyable task. Apologies for any bad grammar. I hope it makes you smile at least. Merry Christmas!

---
The Santa you Need

Dirk peered out of the alley. "Here comes a good prospect," he said.

Nigel glanced at the portly figure walking amiably towards them. It was night, but the lamppost close to the eldster was still functional. The red hood and beard were unmistakable.

"I'm really not happy about robbing folk on Christmas Eve, especially one of those Block-Mall Santas." he said. "They give presents to underprivileged kiddies."

"Give? They're paid by rich parents to give gifts to spoilt brats," said Dirk. "We're underprivileged kids." (Nigel was seventeen and Dirk was eighteen, so they weren't far off.) "Now old whiskers can give some charity to us. Don't be a dweeb. Get ready."

Dirk drew his long blade. Nigel sighed and picked up the baseball bat he'd left standing against the wall.

As 'Santa' drew near to the alleyway, the two lads stepped out.

"Ho ho ho!" declared Santa. "Merry Christmas young men! What can I do for you?"

Dirk sneered contemptuously. "You can start by emptying your sack old man, or we'll go 'ho ho ho' on your ass!"

Nigel tried not to groan out loud. Dirk could be a walking cliché sometimes. He watched way too many classical action movies on the holovid.

Santa opened his sack. "I have just started my shift, so as you can see, my sack is empty", he replied. "That is about to change, however."

Nigel felt his skin break out in goose-bumps. During the last sentence, the tone of Santa's voice had changed from the usual cheerful sound of an old man after too many lines of happy-dust, to a harsh grate. As Santa raised his head, Nigel spotted the gleam of a visor beneath his hood.

"He's one of those wally squad judges Dirk! Lets get out of here!" he said. (In the moment, it didn't occur to him to wonder why an undercover judge would bother wearing his own uniform under his disguise.)

Santa, straightened up... and strangely his shoulders continued to rise as his torso seemed to lengthen, re-configuring from the fat figure to something lean, and lethal. When he had finished, his head towered eight foot over the lads'. His eyes glowed red behind the visor, (or was the visor his eyes? Nigel couldn't tell). In the moonlight, Nigel saw the gleam of chrome beneath Santa's hood, and from the torso glimpsed within the red robe.

"I'm not a member of wally squad", said the robot, for it was clear now that's what it was. "But I am, a judge. I also, am Santa. Not the one you want, perhaps, but the one you need. My gift to you both is a sentence of ten years in a juve-cube for attempted armed robbery. And five years for declaring embarrassing cliches in mockery of the season."

A long red and white striped day-stick, like a huge stick of candy, slid out of robo-Santa's sleeve. "One way or another, you're going in the sack. Resistance is useless."

The lads resisted. That was when the screaming started.

Hershey and Dredd had watched the proceedings on a monitor, via a live feed streamed to them from the Mek. They saw everything from the robot's point of view. Dredd didn't like robots very much. He certainly didn't approve of the auxiliary mechanismo units, who were operating more frequently throughout the city, and this Christmas variant seemed like a cheap joke! A robot could never replace a true judge! He had to grudgingly admit, though, despite the hokey seasonal trappings, the speed in which the mek disposed of the two perps was impressive.

The stupid more aggressive one had actually attempted to lunge at the mek with his knife. The knife would have done no more harm than to tear the robots robe, but it didn't get that far. Dirk's hand had hardly moved before the mek's own hand had moved into shot grasping Dirk's. There was the sound of breaking twigs as that large metal hand squeezed. After one quick sharp tap on the head with the mek's daystick, Dirk stopped screaming.

The second perp, who had seemed a bit more sensible to Dredd, almost surprised him. Nigel's initial reaction had been to run. On seeing his mate in trouble, however, he had turned, dropped his baseball bat and pulled out a gun. He was pretty fast for a novice, too, and he fired three times, before the mek could respond.

The bullets didn't harm the droid, of course. The screen fizzed momentarily as a bullet bounced off the mek's visor. Fortunately for Nigel, he had fired his weapon at an angle, or he would have effectively shot himself with the ricochet.

Like all mechanismo units, the SANTA unit, had a firearm of his, own, yet he did not draw it. Instead he threw the daystick with a quick whip of his hand hitting the perp squarely in the forehead.

Hershey turned to Dredd as the mek deposited both of the unconscious perps into it's sack. (After that, it flung the sack over it's shoulder and continued on down the road humming a Christmas carol, back in jovial fat man mode, but neither of the judges observed this. They had moved on.)

"I know you don't approve of the reinstated mechanismo programme, Dredd, but based purely on the operation you just saw, what do you think of our prototype Yuletide series mechanismo unit?" asked the chief judge.

After a few seconds of serious thought, (as if he ever thought any other way) Dredd replied.

"I think it will need a bigger sack."

The Monarch

Don't you just hate festive reruns :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXZDnQ06j6M

yeah sorry about that me and kazan had planned a nice nod to the mega city bookclub by making him read the first book of nikolai dante. but sickness and scheduling kinda scuttled it. so please enjoy last years nod to the almighty spacespinner 2000

Gail Nedry

BONUS PIECE- In case anyone is finding it difficult to get their piece done. (I got ya back dudes!...lol)
Older piece done in Manga Studio. I moved away from digital after this. Bloddy layers, layers, layers...yawn.

Anyroad up, Mighty PJ over in Dreddcember has left me toying with the notion of trying some digiart again.
Procreate here I come, badboy.

flip-r mk2

It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Colin MacNeil

This year I thought it'd be appropriate to remember the message transmitted by the crew of Apollo 8, on this day, Christmas Eve 1968. It was the first time in history that humans had seen, with their own eyes, "Earthrise" over the Moon.

With all the troubles on this world, it is good to remind ourselves of that which binds us to one another, this small blue planet, this Earth, Our home.

I can think of nothing to say, but repeat the words of Frank Borman, Commander Apollo 8.

"And from the crew of Apollo 8, we close with good night, good luck, A Merry Christmas - and God bless all of you, all of you on the good Earth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3LIvb1Nzak

flip-r mk2

A very merry Christmas and a happy new year to all you wonderful boarders out there :)

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

David Broughton

Its been really great meeting so many forum members at conventions this year. Here is to the same next year. The advent calendar has been absolutely amazing this year. Merry Christmas everyone!

Steven Denton

PAGE 1

PAGE 2

PAGE 3

PAGE 4

PAGE 5

PAGE 6

PAGE 7

PAGE 8

I don't think I have posted this to the Advent Calendar before, even though that's what it was created for!
Merry Christmas!

shaolin_monkey

Dandontdare

Death sweatshirt arrived today and I love it! Big thanks to JayzusBChrist (and his brother), and yah boo to all you suckers who didn't bother entering!