Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edgeworthy

Quote from: radiator on 20 April, 2019, 01:20:09 AM
QuoteYep, I love that aspect to it too, and wonder if US viewers manage to distinguish a gentile southern accent from a down-to-earth Northern one.

I live in the US and can tell you for a fact that the majority of Americans do not distinguish between the Northern/Southern accents on the show, no.

Which is odd since everyone in Britain sort of notices that the writers appear to have actually grasped the North/ South divide ...

... you are missing out on a lot if you didn't understand the North's reaction to Dany essentially being "Who does this posh southern bird with her fancy dragons think she is!?"

I could call it subtle and nuanced, only it isn't at all, its about a subtle as a lead pipe.
(D&D and GRRM are to be commended for their understanding of the concept, probably since much of GoT is drawn from the Wars of the Roses)

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteYep, I love that aspect to it too, and wonder if US viewers manage to distinguish a gentile southern accent from a down-to-earth Northern one.

I live in the US and can tell you for a fact that the majority of Americans do not distinguish between the Northern/Southern accents on the show, no.

Thanks!

Makes GoT all the more impressive when you realise its creators pay attention to a detail that most of its viewers won't notice.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

For me the first episode was a re-introduction to the characters that will make up the finale.  GoT overtime has changed but for me this is still one of the best series ever to grace the small screen.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

radiator

Couple of random predictions for the remaining episodes (this isn't based on leaks or anything like that, just my own speculation):

I have a strong suspicion that before the end of the season [spoiler]Sean Bean will return in a cameo as Ned Stark in a flashback/dream/vision sequence. No real reason other than it just seems like something they would do, what with it being the finale and with all the callbacks to season 1.[/spoiler]

The line in episode 1 where Varys, Davos and the others are discussing the prospect of Westeros finally being ruled by a 'just man and a noble woman' or whatever it was is [spoiler]foreshadowing, but not for Jon and Danaeyrs, but the coupling of either Sansa and Tyrion or Arya and Gendry (I don't think Jon and Danaerys make it out the season).[/spoiler]

radiator

I thought last night's episode was pretty decent. All build up/calm before the storm. Couple of nice moments, a lot of cheese, and one very uncomfortable/odd scene - trust me, you'll know it when you get to it.

Next week is going to be [spoiler]the big battle - expect a lot of major deaths. I'm reasonably confident that Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime and presumably Sam, Gilly & Baby Sam are safe, but aside from that all bets are off. I would actually be amazed if any of the following didn't die:

Bran
Theon
Jorah
Brienne
Beric
Grey Worm
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I also wouldn't rule out Arya, Varys and Tormund.

I actually hope that the body count won't be as big as all that - I don't want the finale of the series to be a total downer because there's only 3 named characters left alive.[/spoiler]

Something I've been wondering in anticiaption for this season is whether the white walker threat will be dealt with a few episodes before the end, and the last few episodes will be the showdown with Cersei/Euron and the Golden Company. It wouldn't surprise me, but it would seem weirdly anticlimactic if they go that way with it.

Dudley

Death predictions:

[spoiler]Surely dead (because nowhere left to go):
Grey Worm
Brienne
Theon
Varys
Tormund
Davos

Probably dead:
Gendry
Bran
Jorah

Possible curveballs:
Dany
Night King
Tyrion
Arya

Safe in their plot armour:
Sansa
Jon
The Hound
Jamie
[/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

I'll be mildly surprised if the battle is wrapped up in one episode — reports are that they did fifty-five consecutive night shoots for this. People have shot feature films in less time!

And, yes, now that it's been mentioned, they do seem to be leaning heavily on the whole [spoiler]kill the night king and the rest will fall*[/spoiler] thing, so maybe they ARE going to wrap that entire plotline up mid-season and then [spoiler]have everyone regroup for a final showdown with Cersei**[/spoiler]

* I have a fiver on [spoiler]Sam to do the honours.[/spoiler]

** I have another fiver says [spoiler]we get to see those elephants she was banging on about.[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

It's like the fucking Mueller Report round here...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

I mostly enjoyed the second half of that episode. [spoiler]But anytime I find myself having to calculate the age of a character in a sex scene, then I know the writers and director and producers have made a bad call[/spoiler]
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 April, 2019, 10:25:01 PM
I mostly enjoyed the second half of that episode. [spoiler]But anytime I find myself having to calculate the age of a character in a sex scene, then I know the writers and director and producers have made a bad call[/spoiler]

Yeah. weird choice, especially for that character.

If you want to really confuse yourself about the timeline of the show, think about the relative ages of various characters compared to that of Baby Samwell (who was born in season 2 and is still a toddler)  :-\

Regarding [spoiler]the Hound[/spoiler], yes, he has to survive for various reasons - the main one presumably being so he can [spoiler]conquer his fear of fire and use Beric's flaming sword to kill the Mountain in a future episode (I suspect Beric will sacrifice himself to save or possibly resurrect him in next week's episode).[/spoiler]

radiator

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 April, 2019, 08:40:23 AM

Thanks!

Makes GoT all the more impressive when you realise its creators pay attention to a detail that most of its viewers won't notice.

Trust me - most Americans I know can't even distinguish between Aussie, Kiwi, South African and English accents, and also think Irish and Scottish accents sound the same.

radiator

Quote from: Dudley on 22 April, 2019, 09:17:54 PM
Death predictions:

[spoiler]Surely dead (because nowhere left to go):
Grey Worm
Brienne
Theon
Varys
Tormund
Davos
[/spoiler]

You know, despite being a relatively pointless character in the grand scheme of things (his primary role in the books was to be a bystander to whatever Stannis and Melisandre were up to at any given time, something the TV adaptation arguably didn't need) I have a huge soft spot for Davos. He's one of the most guileless and down to earth characters in both the books and show, and I absolutely love Liam Cunningham's portrayal of him (and Cunningham always seems like a genuinely nice bloke in interviews) so he's one of the characters I'm really rooting for to make it to the end of the series alive.

But then, [spoiler]they seem to have introduced a little girl who looks like Shireen who would be perfect for Davos to die a heroic death saving (as he couldn't Shireen)....  :|[/spoiler]

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 April, 2019, 10:25:01 PM

The actor is 22 and the character she's playing is 18.  [spoiler](Book) Gendry is 23, and that actor is 31.[/spoiler]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 April, 2019, 10:19:52 PM
It's like the fucking Mueller Report round here...!

[spoiler]   :lol:   Chortle [/spoiler]

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 23 April, 2019, 01:04:25 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 April, 2019, 08:40:23 AM

Thanks!

Trust me - most Americans I know can't even distinguish between Aussie, Kiwi, South African and English accents, and also think Irish and Scottish accents sound the same.

True - went to California in the 1980s and our British (English) accents were mistaken for Australian all the time.