Main Menu

how do you pronounce ceilidh?

Started by Grugz, 23 July, 2014, 04:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I think we're missing a trick by insisting on the less popular 'Scottish' when 'scotch' is a recognised brand around the world. Who wouldn't want to entrust their finances to The Royal Bank of Scotchland. Okay, it makes you think you're handing over your cash to someone who will only challenge it to a fight, be sick over it, and leave it on the night bus home, but that's still a less horrifying thought than consigning your pension fund to the eejits who transformed the actual Royal Bank of Scotland from the fourth largest bank in the world into an international laughing stock.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: ZenArcade on 24 July, 2014, 09:56:56 PM
Scotch? I thought that was a poorly made, foul tasting  copy of whiskey? Z

I got this. It isn't funny.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I can resolve the whole argument.

You pronounce it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dphpDdfZUGw
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 23 July, 2014, 05:41:00 PM

The puckish trickster god JOE SOAP deceives and dissimilates like Loki. While Hibernians like him may very well do that distressing, hoppy, cross-legged dancing at gatherings they call a kaylee, sweaty ginger folk who put too much emphasis on their Rs and think Irn Bru tastes nice step on each others' feet at a kaley. Imagine you're trying to describe something as tasting a bit like kale.
That's true for the classless scum of the Central Belt but Venture up the West coast past virgin towns) or watch an old episode of Para Handy and you'll soon find someone adopting Soap's queer lilt.
We never really die.

ZenArcade

It did amaze me when I first visited Scotland the difference in accent. The Highland accent is incredibly similar to some Irish accents. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Fungus

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 July, 2014, 10:23:38 PM
I can resolve the whole argument.

You pronounce it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dphpDdfZUGw

Never any excuse for linking to this. And now you've made me quote it.

Trout

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 July, 2014, 10:22:02 PM

I agree. It isn't even spelled properly.

ZenArcade

You're right it isn't funny, I've drank some: it's awful. Z

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Trout on 25 July, 2014, 02:05:16 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 July, 2014, 10:22:02 PM

I agree. It isn't even spelled properly.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. But then what do the Irish know of proper whiskey? Next they'll be claiming they invented tartan.
Lock up your spoons!

ZenArcade

Ah, tarten as it's correctly spelt:  sure wasn't that invented by Mick and Pat Rafferty down in Carrickmacross? Z

I, Cosh

Quote from: ZenArcade on 24 July, 2014, 10:40:49 PM
It did amaze me when I first visited Scotland the difference in accent. The Highland accent is incredibly similar to some Irish accents. Z
I was seeing a Derry girl for a while and she assured me that people who lived along the top coast were considered to talk funny and sounded almost Scottish.
We never really die.

ZenArcade

Yes that's right. Ireland has 3 main divides in terms of accent (my southern boarders may correct me) along north west Donegall; north Derry; North Antrim and parts of Down around Kilkeel there is a strong Scots tinge to the accent. To the south of this as far as north Sligo; North Letrim; South Cavan; South Monaghan and through to Mid louth you have roughly the Ulster accent people are used to. Below that 'dipthong' line you have various gradations of the Southern Irish accent. Z