Main Menu

Sorry to hear About Nigel Dobbyn RIP

Started by strontium pup, 30 August, 2019, 11:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium pup

Great 2000ad artist

https://2000ad.com/post/5774

IndigoPrime

56? That's tough. I'd always hoped he'd come back to 2000 AD at some point, and get some decent scripts.

Dandontdare

Very sad  news and way too young. He didn't always get the best scripts, but his wonderful art elevated them.

Colin YNWA

Brilliant artist. Alas I don't think it was just this scripts his cleans clear style, while just fantastic to my eyes seemed to be out of fashion at the time he should have been lauded as real 2000ad gem.

Thoughts and love with his friends and family.

TordelBack

Oh feck no, that's awful news. Loved his utterly distinctive work from when i first saw it in old 80's fanzines right up to recent Ace Trucking one-offs. His art was a bright light on some subpar scripts, and a great boost to good ones. I'd always hoped to see a good long run from him in the Prog again, or maybe even a continuation of Medivac 318 elsewhere. I was lucky enough to have a few online fanboy interactions with him, and he was always a complete gent.

Sincere condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

broodblik

Sad news  :'(. My condolences to his family.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

o1s1n

Ah jeez, that's absolutely awful :(

I've had his original artwork to prog 937 hanging at the top of my stairs for years, was actually super special to me as an aunt who passed away bought me the comic years ago and kicked off my love for 2000AD.

Thoughts and love to his family and friends.

IndigoPrime

I kind of what to read Medivac 318 through again now. Did it appear anywhere outside of the Progs, bar that Dare Quality comic? (I know it was mired in copyright hell.)

Bolt-01

Not that I know of - maybe Rebellion and Hilary could sort it for a future release?

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry to hear that.  His work on Strontium  Dogs tended to far outshine the scripts. RIP Nigel.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Woolly

Cover artist for my first ever prog, and what a cover it was!
My condolences to all who knew him.

Trout

I'm so sad to hear this. I only met him once but thought he was a really nice guy. And that's far too young to go.

shaolin_monkey

Truly awful! So young! My condolences to his family.

He was such a lovely bloke. He always seemed very calm and gentle, and with an open welcoming smile. He was so pleasant to everyone at all the cons I met him at. He always had time to do a sketch.

I'll toast him tonight while next to an original page of his from Red Razors, which has been up on my wall for 5 years or more.

He will be sorely missed.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.