Main Menu

Publishing Work in 2000AD...

Started by Tindog, 09 May, 2009, 12:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tindog

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, although I have been an big comic enthusiast for years. When I was young artist a lot of my time was spent both reading and drawing comics, but my time doing this slowly dwindled as I got older and accumilated more resposiblities. I'm now a Graphic/Web Designer, but have recindled my interest in comic art and have started working again on some strong characters from when I was a teenager with a view to eventually publishing them (if they're good enough! ...lol)...

I'm going to set up a website to showcase this work, but does anyone have any advice on how, where or who to send artwork to get ultimately get published in 2000ad?

I appreciate I'm probably one in the millions of people out there trying to get published, but it's worth a shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated... ;-)

The Legendary Shark

Hi there, and welcome.

You could always try entering our monthly(ish) art competition on this very forum to see just what you're up against...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24949
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emperor

Definitely get a site up to show case your skills but it might also be worth having an account at Deviantart as people are always nosing around there looking for artists or just networking with other artists and it can help get people looking at your site too. There are a few people from here on there - the most obvious one I can think of is:

http://darkjimbo.deviantart.com

Also think about Comicspace - a good place to start is Bolt's space as his pimping skills are mighty:

http://www.comicspace.com/bolt01/

I'm sure some artdroids will be by with better advice but practice is always a good one - being able to tell a story through sequential art is a skill that needs developing and honing. Get some samples together, show them off here and see if there is any creative criticism that can help. Speak to some of the small press folks and have a crack at the sample scripts (I think Wake reposted the information that was previously on the site in another thread). Kevlev has been working on some of these and blogging the stages which is a good way to get people involved with your work:

http://kevlev.blogspot.com/search/label/Judge%20Dredd

So perhaps grab a blog too - Blogspot makes it all quick an easy.

You might be The Next Big Thing who editors would give their left nut (or ovary) for, although we won't know until you share some art :shock:
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

Blimey, I haven't seen Kevlev's work before. He's a bit good isn't he. Bolt and Dark Jimbo, well, goes without saying really. Awesome.

Nice post Emperor.

Show us yer stuff Tindog. This is a great place to gather opinion.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: "Kerrin"Blimey, I haven't seen Kevlev's work before. He's a bit good isn't he.
Yes he is! Coincidentally, I was looking at that blog of his just this morning. Cracking stuff. Surely only a matter of time before such dedication pays off.  8-)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Tindog

Top stuff. Thanks very, very much for all your very useful advice. It's kind of you all to take the time to reply to my thread...  ;)

(Kevlev's work is very good! Kerrin's right, I don't think it'll be long before someone notices his dedication...  :D )

Bolt-01

Kev is really good. He is already working on a piece for Zarjaz, and I have told him that I'll keep him as busy as I can to push his abilities.

Makes me sick.

Kev Levell

aww, :oops: thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate the encouraging comments from everyone above. They mean a lot to me.

Some pieces of advice I've been given by working professionals that I've found helpful:

• "You've got to be dedicated or you'll simply get fed up and give in."
  • "Always show your best and only your best."
  • "Be polite, listen carefully to the advice you are given and thank people for their time."
  • "2000AD is a funny thing, it's got to be bold and eye catching."
  • "There's no substitute for good story telling"
  • "If it ain't working, start again."
  • "Don't be disheartened, you're never going to get hired on the spot."
  • "Don't try to fake it. Care about the work you are doing."
There is plenty of great advice to be had on these boards and friendly helpful support too.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "kevlev"
  • "You've got to be dedicated or you'll simply get fed up and give in."
  • "Always show your best and only your best."
  • "Be polite, listen carefully to the advice you are given and thank people for their time."
  • "2000AD is a funny thing, it's got to be bold and eye catching."
  • "There's no substitute for good story telling"
  • "If it ain't working, start again."
  • "Don't be disheartened, you're never going to get hired on the spot."
  • "Don't try to fake it. Care about the work you are doing."

• "Send Jim all your money"

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.