Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Give Flight of the Navigator a shot again. I's no classic, but it's a lot better than you might think and IMHO far superior to the utterly boring The Gooonies.

TordelBack

Flight of the Navigator is excellent.  One of those films where you become so caught up in the plight of the protagonist that you can't stifle a cheer and/or tear when[spoiler] it all comes right in the end[/spoiler].

Goonies... I think you had to be the right age at the right time.  I wasn't.

willthemightyW

I love the Goonies.

Just watched Fritz Lang's M

Looks beautiful on blu-ray, and is a stunning film. It's so... different, even now. There is no main character, (as silly/pretentious as it sounds) society literally is the protagonist, and the antagonist, and it's full of great performances! I'm also surprised at how much it made me laugh, I find that in a lot of films from this era(especially really early german talkies!) the humour falls flat for me, but this has some great moments in it, whilst still managing to maintain a dark tone.

Up next I'll be watching Blast of Silence on the recommendation of Sean Phillips no less!

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

COMMANDO FORCES

Just watched White House Down, absolute bollocks but hugely entertaining bollocks :lol:

Mabs

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 December, 2013, 04:25:35 PM
Give Flight of the Navigator a shot again. I's no classic, but it's a lot better than you might think and IMHO far superior to the utterly boring The Gooonies.

Fucking right you are there, Mr. Hawkmonger!

I used to love The Flight of the Navigator as a kid, even moreso than The Goonies (but less than Star Wars!).

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 December, 2013, 04:28:31 PM
Flight of the Navigator is excellent.

I was the right age for neither of those which is why I've never seen Goonies and FotN was something I was brought to see knowing well I was too old not to cringe. After Time Bandits, Raiders, Star Wars, Tron, GhostBusters, Gremlins and Back to the Future, seeing 'pesky' kids in leading roles was just a no go (a reason why I've never fully watched Terminator II) though I gave Explorers a pass.

Mardroid

I'm not over keen on The Goonies (and I find the shouty stuff annoying too) but it wasn't bad.
I seem to remember Gremlins being around the same time and really loving that. Not that it's the same type of film but I tend to associate them for some reason.

Flight of the Navigator is another film which I should have taken to... yet never really did.

pictsy

I am just about to put The Goonies on for my late evening entertainment.  I feel apprehensive about it.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: pictsy on 10 December, 2013, 09:57:04 PM
I am just about to put The Goonies on for my late evening entertainment.  I feel apprehensive about it.

I tried to watch it on Sunday - but as others have said - it was waaaay too shouty...

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 December, 2013, 10:05:37 PM
I tried to watch it on Sunday - but as others have said - it was waaaay too shouty...

Try HIGHLANDER with the sound turned up. The very definition of cacophony (even if you like Queen).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 December, 2013, 10:10:03 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 December, 2013, 10:05:37 PM

Try HIGHLANDER with the sound turned up. The very definition of cacophony (even if you like Queen).

I think I may have expressed my general feelings of 'meh' towards Highlander previously. Part of that is 'cos if the Queen soundtrack. Such a shame, as their music for Flash remains a staple on my iPhone to this day.

shaolin_monkey

You can tell a band are getting a bit tired when their choruses become the same line repeated over and over again:

'Don't lose your head
Don't lose your head
Don't etc etc etc'

CrazyFoxMachine

12 Angry Men

Astonishing awe-inspiring film. Still shines as brightly as it did when I saw it seven years ago - and is even spellbinding at 56 years old. As a character drama you literally can't get bet, the principal cast don't even have names - and you spend 90 minutes or so in their company. Brilliant drama about morality, prejudice and personal doubt. Thank the gods we don't have a death sentence.

GrinningChimera

Chuecatown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHGqt_oPR5o

It's about a gay real estate guy who murders old ladies in order to make a gay paradise with no women. As a straight guy, I thought this was a pretty funny movie. I'd imagine gay guys would get an even bigger kick out of it with the "in" jokes that no doubt were over my head. A comedy for the whole family. Assuming the whole family is over 18.

sheldipez

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 December, 2013, 04:28:31 PM
Flight of the Navigator is excellent.  One of those films where you become so caught up in the plight of the protagonist that you can't stifle a cheer and/or tear when[spoiler] it all comes right in the end[/spoiler].

I feel the same at both! I missed Goonies when I was that age and couldn't get through much of it when it was on telly, I've always had to sit and eye roll through conversations when people claim it to be an "life changing" movie messiah like experience, guess you really had to be their at the time.

I've always thought Flight of the Navigator was the ultimate kids n aliens movie, better than that ET which I've never got when I was young (been a fair amount of years since I seen it); ET makes a mess, wears a dress and buggers off home. In Navigator the kid got to ride about on a spaceship, If I was the boy I would have sold ET to the FBI dudes. More trouble than he's worth that one.