Main Menu

Slaine: Lord of Misrule

Started by Ancient Otter, 01 April, 2011, 09:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Large48

And I never got my promised credit! Arse  >:(
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Emperor

Quote from: Large48 on 14 April, 2011, 08:39:44 PMAnd I never got my promised credit! Arse  >:(

What for? Providing some of the original art work?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

ghostpockets

All that beautiful linework, mutilated with the blur tool :( Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this looks a mess? Sure the original colouring wasn't mindblowing but at least you could see what was going on, tis not so clear underneath all this pixel vomit. I had never read this and freely admit I am not a fan of Clint's current oeuvre but having checked ut some piccas of this online was quite excity to get my mitts on this. I was definately seeing Locust's BWS comparison and was refreshing to see post-Bisley Slaine that didn't look as though it had been wrought using copro-paint. Ach tis a shame, but it has saved me $20 at least.

TordelBack

Quote from: ghostpockets on 15 April, 2011, 05:05:50 PM
I was definately seeing Locust's BWS comparison and was refreshing to see post-Bisley Slaine that didn't look as though it had been wrought using copro-paint. Ach tis a shame, but it has saved me $20 at least.

It looks great in the flesh!  Better than great, in fact.  The fabulously detailed linework is perfectly intact and visible, the colouring is just more subtle and complex.  The online examples of blur are very much the extreme end of the spectrum.  I'm not too familiar with the original, but the reworked Langley art is a real revelation, and still a huge change form the Bisley/Power/Staples axis.

Mangamax

Wow!  :o Lovely comparison site there.
Will be getting this soon, but Darkie's Mob is on the way and i can't justify it right now.
As improved as the colouring is though - sorry, but its stuck record time - i'd still like to see it B&W:

The perspective on that chairs all wrong

TordelBack

No argument there, Mangamax!  I do think the current colouring job  is excellent but B&W would have been ideal for the story and the work.  Given the return to paint for Treasures of Britain (IIRC), it does make me wonder what artistic direction the strip would have taken if Lord of Misrule had been B&W.

(Should say here that I was actually impressed with Dermot Power's brighter paints in Demon Killer).

Large48

Quote from: Emperor on 14 April, 2011, 08:46:10 PM
Quote from: Large48 on 14 April, 2011, 08:39:44 PMAnd I never got my promised credit! Arse  >:(

What for? Providing some of the original art work?

Lol, while the risk of transport, then leaving it (uninsured by Rebellion) and hoping someone doesn't just throw it all out by mistake is slightly worrying, I'm guessing it depends on whether you mind losing original artwork or not!

Mind you the larger size B&W artwork is lovely as well.
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

menno

Quote from: Emperor on 14 April, 2011, 06:01:23 PMIn addition, I know it is only a small touch but the extra panel border, with the last panel on the first page, does make a big improvement.

I think he did that to hide the line across the original panel, which is from the fact that the bottom part of the panel, the eyes, is a stat from another page. I have the original b&w page of this. Clint's used stats on a few Misrule pages, and on some it is hard to make out where the stats starts and end, as they have also been radically altered in some cases.

Whilst I prefer the colour palette of the new colouring, I think it's a shame it hides so much of the linework that I admire in the art.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteWhilst I prefer the colour palette of the new colouring, I think it's a shame it hides so much of the linework that I admire in the art.

Agreed. Would love to see him do some black and white stuff for the prog, though I fear we may have lost him to the yanks. In any case I prefer this linework, coloured or no, to his technically excellent but eye-watering photomanip stuff.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mangamax

Put this over on the original art thread, but seems a good time to do it here too - got me another of the pages:

ThryllSeekyr

I just looked for this one over in the 2000AD web shop and they don't have any :(

Wonder why?

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Mangamax on 16 April, 2011, 08:22:55 AM
Will be getting this soon, but Darkie's Mob is on the way and i can't justify it right now.
As improved as the colouring is though - sorry, but its stuck record time - i'd still like to see it B&W:

Wow!!! I've just seen these posts - and that artwork in B&W is astounding! I'd love to see a collected version in B&W. Langley's pen and ink work is incredible, and no slight to his computer work but I wish he would pick up the pencils now and then.

Robin Low

Quote from: Mangamax on 16 April, 2011, 08:22:55 AM

I'm a black and white fan too. And I'm a fan of the sort of detail that creates a real atmosphere around a piece of work, which most folk don't seem that interested in these days. Stuff like this really takes me back to 80's 2000AD, 80's gamebooks, and 80's Games Workshop, even though this example dates from the mid-90s!

I wasn't planning on getting any of the post-Horned God collections, but I might reconsider on this one.

Regards

Robin

Mangamax

Totally agree that nothing beats B&W for the old atmos.
And so pleased to see the likes of Leigh Gallagher:

and Dom Reardon:

have carried on the tradition of the master, Lopez:

Ignatzmonster

I'd like to see the full story in B&W myself. For me Slaine was at its best in the pre-color days. And I don't just mean the writing, I mean artwise. I'm glad tooth carries on the tradition of B&W comics, frequently if I like an artist's work in color I'll like it better in B&W.