Main Menu

2000 AD Online - Characters Feature Requests

Started by w3bz, 09 July, 2008, 11:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w3bz

Post all "Characters" section feature requests here

IndigoPrime

Ability to tie artwork/covers (etc.) to 'parents' or multiple IDs. For example, when I was figuring out the list for S/D 5 to send over to Jon, I almost missed one of the covers, since it was credited to 'Feral' rather than 'Strontium Dog'. This probably sounds very specific, but if a user wants to do a general series search for an item, more flexible tagging is a must.

Rio De Fideldo

This request will fall under the large amount of work category but I would love it if we could have an almost wiki for every character who's appeared in 2000ad ideally starting with Dredd's world ie Whitey aka WR Logan. It would include a picture of the character prog they appeared in, a brief blurb featuring biographical details and their current status.

This would also be helpful for other long running strips such as Dante, Sin Dex etc

IndigoPrime

A section of 2000 AD as a Wiki would make a whole lot of sense. 2000 AD has a rampant fan-base that could rapidly get a load of highly useful supplementary information online, Wikipedia-style.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"A section of 2000 AD as a Wiki would make a whole lot of sense. 2000 AD has a rampant fan-base that could rapidly get a load of highly useful supplementary information online, Wikipedia-style.

If there is space available on the website then thats a very very good idea.

Quote from: "Richard Field"This request will fall under the large amount of work category but I would love it if we could have an almost wiki for every character who's appeared in 2000ad ideally starting with Dredd's world ie Whitey aka WR Logan. It would include a picture of the character prog they appeared in, a brief blurb featuring biographical details and their current status.

This would also be helpful for other long running strips such as Dante, Sin Dex etc

Whoever submits the information has already done all the work.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

IndigoPrime

I think he might have meant work in terms of set-up and integration. Setting up a Wiki (or a blog, or whatever) takes about five minutes. Styling it and integrating it into an existing site can take days.

Rio De Fideldo

Yeah that is what I meant. I know nothing about website design etc but I assume it would take a lot of work incorporating a completely new item into the site's overall design. Still I think it would be really useful to have all the info together.

w3bz

You know, I'd have to agree, although I'm not sure exactly how the wiki functionality would work without leading to absolute chaos. Perhaps with some degree of moderation, but I'd be well up for that :)

Peter Wolf

If it was only accessible to board members then  would that reduce the chances of it being abused ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Gavin_Leahy_Block

I really like this idea and think it would be highly successful if treated respectfully, I'm sure most here would be able to fill in all the relevant data and remove any mistakes or errors.

w3bz

QuoteIf it was only accessible to board members then would that reduce the chances of it being abused ?

Seeing as it's easy to sign-up I doubt that, but if any submitted info has to get approval from a moderator or 2 then that might help.

Rio De Fideldo

Something that used to slightly bug me about the old site was that some of the artwork that used to accompany character info was by artists that had perhaps worked on the characters once and that other artists who were more associated with the characters weren't used.

Examples I can remember were Nemesis by Clint Langley (Surely this should have been Kev O'Neill or at a push Bryan Talbot), Dark Judges by Greg Staples (This has to be Brian Bolland), Dredd by Paul Marshall (Again no sleight to Marshall but Dredd has to be by Carlos/Mick/Brian or Ron)

Therefore can we see artwork by the artists who created the character or in rare cases are most associated with them (Millgate drew them first but S B Davis is THE Sin Dex artist as far as most people are concerned)

ALSO I assume that the old site's function of being able to search every appearance by a character/story (prog issue no etc) will be retained and if not then that's something I find very useful and so I would like to see it on the new site.

NoAlias

Quote from: "Richard Field"ALSO I assume that the old site's function of being able to search every appearance by a character/story (prog issue no etc) will be retained and if not then that's something I find very useful and so I would like to see it on the new site.

I second that.
I love searching through the database for appearances. Especially guest appearances by characters in different series.

Cheers.

Wake

Quote from: "Richard Field"Something that used to slightly bug me about the old site was that some of the artwork that used to accompany character info was by artists that had perhaps worked on the characters once and that other artists who were more associated with the characters weren't used.

Most of those images were chosen by myself or ukdane. Although we did try and go for the major artists where possible, we also wanted to use colour images which had fairly plain backgrounds.

ukdane

QuoteSomething that used to slightly bug me about the old site was that some of the artwork that used to accompany character info was by artists that had perhaps worked on the characters once and that other artists who were more associated with the characters weren't used...
...Dredd by Paul Marshall (Again no sleight to Marshall but Dredd has to be by Carlos/Mick/Brian or Ron)

The main image of Dredd was by Carlos (from the final page of Judgement Day).

The smaller icon image was by Paul Marshall, .
Not sure why this image of Dredd was chosen, but as Wake said, I tried where possible to get colour images, with backgrounds that were as plain as possible, as they all had to be "photoshopped" by hand, in my free time.
Where possible, I tried to take make the main image an image drawn by the main artist.

Another thing we talked about, was trying to get one image of each character by each of the artists that had drawn it, so that a mini character gallery was available. But in the end, we decided that this ultimately was going to be too difficult to do.
I still think a Dredd gallery would be cool.

Also be good to get ALL the images and logos for the profiles completed.
Cheers

-Daney