Main Menu

General Comics Writing Discussion

Started by Emperor, 08 August, 2009, 11:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Emperor on 15 February, 2010, 06:31:35 PM
Jason Aaron has dropped in a few notes on his writing technique:

Fascinating piece, big fan of Jason Aaron.

Quote– I write people throwing up a lot.

He does, you know. 

Lady Festina

Quote from: Krombasher on 30 September, 2009, 06:50:17 PM
I want to start creative writing again. But I am well rusty and the inner voice a mere hoarse whisper.

Krom - I'm probably about 9 months ahead of you on the "just starting again after too long not doing anything" curve. Advice is: QUANTITY NOT QUALITY. Just write every day, even if it's for five minutes, random thoughts, descriptions of things around you, anything to get you into the habit of writing.

The other thing with Quantity Not Quality is that you shouldn't judge it. If you've got the discipline to do it, write something every day then lock it up. Don't read it for a month.

Good luck and happy fingers :-)

Emperor

Some thoughts from the primary clone (or so he claims!!):

http://theprimaryclone.blogspot.com/2010/02/dear-ryan.html
http://theprimaryclone.blogspot.com/2010/02/dear-ryan-part-two.html
http://theprimaryclone.blogspot.com/2010/02/dear-ryan-part-three.html

He mentions the Guardian piece which I forgot to link to, leading off from Elmore Leonard's ten tips (which are classic) and including Neil Gaiman's (who only gives 8 and some of them might be seen as padding ;) ):

www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/20/ten-rules-for-writing-fiction-part-one
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Legendary Shark

John Wagner is in the Yap Shop right now...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mike Gloady

He's got a bunch of animals and a family to take care of, give the man a break.  Sides, we all need a bit more kip the older we get, eh?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

Lady Festina

I might have to print that out and put it on the wall...

Next to my signed publicity shot of Emperor and the Fractal Boys, of course  ;)

Emperor

Quote from: Lady Festina on 11 March, 2010, 09:18:55 PMNext to my signed publicity shot of Emperor and the Fractal Boys, of course  ;)

I think you might have us confused with Liquid Peter and the Shaved Boys, easy mistake to make - I don't resemble a lava lamp.

staticgirl

I have learned some great tips from this thread.  Although I got my degree in writing (many years ago) instead of art I always felt more confident in knowing how to improve the art (currently action poses, -and therefore anatomy - colouring and perspective are exercising my brain matter). 

Writing, however, I find difficult.  Plot seems really difficult.  One of the things I admire about 2000AD so much is the compressed writing style - how they get so much incident in 5/6 or less pages is amazing.  In my latest story, I decided to go for a simple alien invasion plot (I don't normally have any plot at all) and nick a few ideas from Peter F Hamilton to get me started. It's been a lot better but it's still been very uneven and I find bringing action in very difficult. I love to draw characters talking on and on and on....

I'm also slower than any artist you ever met which is why I do it as a hobby. Oh and I keep taking on more than I can handle re the comic version of Wuthering Heights.  *sigh*

The Legendary Shark

I've got a story about a cave man that needs developing/illustrating, if you fancy having a stab at it...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Lady Festina

Not sure if this the right thread but....

I'm building up a little collection of short stories (some of which are leaning towards being scripts) but aside from one or two very useful friends, I don't really have anyone reading them.

Having been welcomed here with open arms and only occasional criticism about being a notman, I thought I could throw myself on the mercy of the board and see if anyone would like to have a read from time to time.

I won't inundate (I'm not that productive) but it would be great to have some constructive criticism or downright slagging every now and then.

PM if you'd like to have a read. Am happy to do the same for other writers :-)

Emperor

Dirk Manning's column at Newsarama detailing his writing career which is jammed pack full of tips - it is still rolling and up to #52 but don't be daunted start at #1 and read one a week ;) :

www.newsarama.com/topic/Write%20or%20Wrong

Emperor

A piece from Martin Conaghan about the basics, includes:

QuoteLastly, realise that you are shit – you just don't know it yet. Everyone believes they can write until they realise they can't, and then they do something about it. If you don't do something about it, you will never improve.

When you've mastered the basics, the only other little gem of advice I've ever been given in my writing career so far is this:

"Omit needless words".

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/06/pond-life-by-martin-conaghan-3-put-it-on-the-page/