Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oddballuk

So the Facebook has announced the next two volumes officially now.

Crazy Town that we've seen and the other volume is the Judge Anderson: Dead End volume previously mentioned.

Perhaps Enceladus will make it's way into one of the Ultimate Collection Dredd books.

IndigoPrime

Is there any indication what's in War on the Streets?

oddballuk

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 May, 2018, 12:55:15 PM
Is there any indication what's in War on the Streets?

This is the cover Pye Parr posted on Twitter a while back.  He'd declared it now gone to print.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: oddballuk on 02 May, 2018, 12:58:05 PM
This is the cover Pye Parr posted on Twitter a while back.  He'd declared it now gone to print.

Ah, that fine artist CARLOS E2QUEAAA... :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tomwe

oddballuk

Magnetica

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 30 April, 2018, 10:08:40 PM
Okay, finished Aftermath last night, and that was a damned satisfying volume.  To put it nicely, Mega City One really is up the crapper and I get the distinct feeling that it's never going to be the same.  If anything the population will continue to fall as the judicial system is undermanned, and the citi-def that at one time would have been an auxiliary force is more likely to turn on the Judges.

Then you've got opportunists from abroad with scores to settle, whether it's Banana City, the Sov Block or whatever.

If you read the Dredd synopsis in the Nerve Centre you will see the population figure has slowly been creeping up. And apart from stories like those in Aftermath, Day of Chaos has been largely ignored really.

IndigoPrime

100 million now. That's... some rapid repopulation.

AlexF

Gotta imagine infant mortality in MC1 is functionally zero. Plus, with cloning technology and repopulating Cursed Earth mutants, you could bring the numbers up pretty fast if you need to.
Made up science is awesome!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: AlexF on 03 May, 2018, 10:02:16 AM
Gotta imagine infant mortality in MC1 is functionally zero.

Plus a high upper boundary on 'natural causes' mortality, with ages of 100+ being commonplace.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: AlexF on 03 May, 2018, 10:02:16 AMGotta imagine infant mortality in MC1 is functionally zero.
Although the population remained broadly static during huge chucks of the run regardless. I suppose you could argue the city's changing certain aspects of how it functions (no more offing people when they hit a certain age; judges being more likely to incarcerate than shoot to kill).

My take is they perhaps feel they cut things back too much. That initial 50 million was a bit: WHAT? When you've a place with the population of England in a city several times England's size, MC1 would be very odd indeed.

The Monarch

thank god kenny who made it into the ultimate collection

Arkady

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 May, 2018, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 03 May, 2018, 10:02:16 AMGotta imagine infant mortality in MC1 is functionally zero.
Although the population remained broadly static during huge chucks of the run regardless. I suppose you could argue the city's changing certain aspects of how it functions (no more offing people when they hit a certain age; judges being more likely to incarcerate than shoot to kill).

My take is they perhaps feel they cut things back too much. That initial 50 million was a bit: WHAT? When you've a place with the population of England in a city several times England's size, MC1 would be very odd indeed.

A few things don't make much sense. Only 4/10 of the judges were killed, but 7/8ths of the populace were killed. So there should be a much higher judge:citizen ratio than before, but that's never been reflected. Day of Chaos should also have freed up vast amounts of housing stock, even allowing for physical damage. They could have done some interesting things with that - the end of overcrowding, demolition of substandard blocks to raise living conditions and so on. And with the city mostly automated, a massive population die-off should mean that they have a vast production surplus; instead the city has been depicted as starving and short of resources - when the post-Chaos context is referred to at all. 

Some of this could be put down to the judges being good on security but crap at administration, but that would be an interesting story in itself. As much as I've loved some of the post-Chaos stories, I can't help but feel that there's been a massive missed opportunity.

Grumpy Andrew

It's almost as if no real planning went into anything post DOC.

Tjm86

Quote from: Grumpy Andrew on 04 May, 2018, 01:30:51 PM
It's almost as if no real planning went into anything post DOC.

See this is what I love about Dredd, how it so effectively satirises current political trends.