Main Menu

Marvel Superheroes hit Netflix

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 28 May, 2014, 04:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

It seems that Marvel are really going to push their characters on Netflix, starting with Daredevil

Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

The biggest, most recognizable series is "Daredevil," which previously was made into a much-maligned movie starring Ben Affleck. After the rights to the property lapsed at FOX, and returned to Marvel Studios, fans have been wondering where the blind lawyer by day, New York vigilante by night would show up next. And now they know the answer.

The other series are probably less well known, at least to fans outside the comic-book arena:

'Jessica Jones' This was previously announced in development by Marvel TV as "AKA Jessica Jones," based on the comic book by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Gaydos. The comic series was named "Alias," which was also the name of a TV show starring Jennifer Garner (interestingly, also a star of the "Daredevil" movie), hence the name change to "AKA Jessica Jones." Now it's just simply the character's name. Jones is a former superhero and member of the Avengers who hit on hard times and now works as a detective in New York.

'Luke Cage' One of the most eagerly requested Marvel properties by fans, Luke Cage is a street-smart hero with unbreakable skin. He tied in heavily in the "Alias" comic-book series, later marrying and having a child with Jessica Jones. He also frequently partnered with...

'Iron Fist' A mystically powered Kung Fu expert and playboy billionaire named Danny Rand, Iron Fist has had a number of iterations through the years — though his most popular was working with Luke Cage as "Heroes for Hire," a team that sold their heroic expertise for money.

'The Defenders' This is the street equivalent of "The Avengers." Traditionally in the comics, The Defenders have been called the "non-team," with their membership ranging from Ghost Rider, Hulk, and Dr. Strange.

Looks quite interesting and yet again a Brit takes a lead role as an American Superhero, as Daredevil will be played by Charlie Cox.

Charlie boy

I have largely ignored Agents of Shield but Daredevil would be one I'd watch but I'm guessing I'd have to wait for it to be released on DVD with it being on Netflix. Is Charlie Fox the lead from TV's Dexter ? I only ask because I read he was the most likely candidate for the role but I can't remember his name this early in the morning.

Theblazeuk

Better be darker than Agents of Shield with that line-up.

Defenders as a street team is a bit misleading though, the line-up is the Hulk, Ghost Rider, Dr Strange and Namor (and the Silver Surfer among many others) - more like Cosmic power team of loners. I wish they'd just go with Heroes for Hire.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Charlie boy on 28 May, 2014, 08:35:20 AM
I have largely ignored Agents of Shield but Daredevil would be one I'd watch but I'm guessing I'd have to wait for it to be released on DVD with it being on Netflix. Is Charlie Fox the lead from TV's Dexter ? I only ask because I read he was the most likely candidate for the role but I can't remember his name this early in the morning.

No, Charlie Cox is from Stardust (Tristan Thorn) & Boardwalk Empire (Owen Slater).
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Professor Bear

Daredevil and Iron Fist might be good because they've got great high concepts to wrap the show around, but Jessica Jones has already done the rounds with numerous networks and they all said "no" without seeing a single frame of the pilot, and considering the sheer amount of tv shows about "a strong single woman in a man's occupation doin it for herself etc" on tv in the last few years, few of which have been any good, the show pitched must have either been some other kind of awful, or network types thought the character to be bland/generic - and fair enough, she has actually been done several times over the years on tv to underwhelming success on shows such as Birds of Prey, Smallville (several times, often in the space of the same season), Dark Angel, etc, and those are just the genre shows (if we're including non-genre stuff like Covert Affairs, Against The Wall, State Of Affairs, Undercovers, Protector, Profiler, and so on, we'll be here all day.
Luke Cage I don't see faring much better, as nowadays the character is divested from the whole "Power Man" thing seeing as that's a separate character being pushed in Disney's animated superhero line, so the character would be a strong black man with a bald head and a goatee and a criminal past he's put behind him - not exactly exciting stuff.  Still, Daredevil and Iron Fist might be interesting.  It's just a shame that they have to be sold as a package deal with characters that Marvel couldn't shift on their own merits.  Fifty percent of this at least looks like it might be good.

Goaty

Here first images of new Daredevil! It was debut at NYCC.

Marvel used a panel at the New York Comic Con this weekend for the launch of its Netflix TV series "Daredevil". Two official photos and some concept art by Joe Quesada have been revealed, including a glimpse of star Charlie Cox in an early incarnation of the "Daredevil" outfit which his character will sport before he slips on the more developed and familiar main suit.

Several clips from the series were screened, one which sees Matt Murdoch (Charlie Cox) in the early version of the suit engaging in a fight with two men trying to get into the apartment of Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll). All the cast were on hand to discuss their roles and the tone of the show.

The biggest reveal is that of Rosario Dawson's character. Dawson's casting is old news, but her role was unknown until today - that role being Claire Temple who, in the comics, was romantically involved with Luke Cage. Dawson's character is a nurse who, in a clip shown, has her tending to an injured Matt Murdock and accepting of the fact he doesn't want to take his mask off. During the scene she also mentions an ex-boyfriend with secrets.

Also onboard in previously unannounced roles are Ayelet Zurer as Vanessa Marianna, Bob Gunton as Leland 'The Owl' Owlsley, Vondie Curtis-Hall as Ben Urich, and Toby Leonard Moore as Wesley. Producer Jeph Loeb also says that Marvel has yet to cast the titles roles in either of their proposed "Jessica Jones" and "Luke Cage" Netflix series, and everything heard so far about them are just rumors.

Cox says that due to the nature of the series being made for streaming service Netflix and with an audience of binge watchers in mind, the project is being shaped as one big story: "One thing I noticed when reading the script is that because there's not a week in between, because you don't have to remind people what happened and there isn't the need for a cliffhangers, you can tell real stories. Like nothing else, it's going to feel like a thirteen-hour movie." 

JOE SOAP

All 13 Daredevil episodes will drop at once on Netflix in April.

Goaty

Goaty

Professor Bear

So the first one was just the teaser for the teaser?

COMMANDO FORCES

I think I'll give that a go, the more grit the better for me :D

wedgeski

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bear (PhD) on 04 February, 2015, 02:31:22 PM
So the first one was just the teaser for the teaser?

Which of course is a teaser of the proper trailer... which of course is a teaser of the show (or movie) itself.

I'd say things have gone just about as far as they can... right?

Charlie boy

Sad to find myself disappointed. Seeing the suit in stills had me thinking the first series would be inspired by the Miller/Romita Jr Man Without Fear run (but then again it reminded a mate of Trial of the Incredible Hulk). That trailer just brought the 2004 film to mind a fair bit.

Professor Bear

The 2004 movie was alright.  I thought it was at least as good as the first Spidey flick, and it certainly made some coin or they wouldn't have made that dreadful spin-off.
I also thought of the Hulk tv movies when I saw the costume, but self-awareness is dead in modern media.  Best just crack on and see how it goes.