Main Menu

Years and Years

Started by pauljholden, 16 May, 2019, 12:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Anyone seen this?

I think it's incredible.

Professor Bear

I thought the bit where the bloke just ditched his spouse and drove like the clappers to bang some rando asylum seeker from a foot fetish scene earlier in the episode - because foot fetishism is something we can all relate to - was hilarious, but in retrospect I realise it was meant to be serious.

I found the "transhuman" stuff a bit cringe, creating a connection between body dysphoria and attention seeking that I am sure was not intentional, but it's hinted in the episode that the character also suffers from some sort of depression and/or mental health issues, which is basically Graham Linehan's whole justification for equating trans issues with mental illness.*  There's a strain of online TERF that's dismissive of young trans people and part of their schtick is to dismiss them as angry kids with anime avatars looking for attention, so the whole visual filter thing... I mean, I'm probably just reading too much into it.

Spoiler tags are here for a reason, so consider watching the show before continuing:[spoiler] RTD does Threads, then?  Be interesting to see how WARNING: RTD IN-JOKE INCOMING he imparts important plot points once the phones and tvs stop working, though a world without screens may be asking too much of a BBC audience so I suspect they'll remain a fixture and instead of Threads we'll get that Charlie Brooker sketch about Russell Brand being elected PM, only 6 hours long and without any jokes and yes I realise that's pretty much what watching any Charlie Brooker sketch is like these days.
Also a real danger of it just being a polemic about the working class being thick, but I suppose we'll see.[/spoiler]

* he pretty much posts about the supposed connection 24 hours a day from what I can see, and it just reminds me that until fairly recently it was the consensus of the medical profession - and they backed it up with science - that gay people were mentally ill.

Tiplodocus

I really enjoyed it. Took me an episode or two to warm to it but grand stuff even If the tone of chunks of the finale was at odds with the rest of the show. And yay, we got an RTD love and pixie dust ending/coda thrown in for good measure.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Quotean RTD love and pixie dust ending

I'll give it a miss :-\
DDT did a job on me

DrJomster

I thought this was pretty good. I agree that the ending was a bit of a wobble away from the rest of the episodes but overall.... Well worth a go. Much better than most of the stuff on Netflix!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Fungus

Fantastic.
But that final episode  :-\