Main Menu

Goodbye Carlos

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 01 October, 2018, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

THE 2000AD artist. Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Carlos

james newell

Yes , it is very sad news, my condolences to his family and friends.

I hope words expressed here by his fans will be of some comfort to them.

Pete Wells

My heart is broken. I met Carlos a fair few times and he was always generous to a fault, extremely friendly and very, very funny. I genuinely felt that he loved and appreciated the fans and would really go the extra mile to spend time with us.

He was incredible with my Covers blog, usually sending me images without me asking, long before publication and always quick to answer any questions I had.

I commissioned him to recreate the "Um... Synthi Sausage?" Cover of Prog 333, but with Dredd holding a pasty. He was very enthusiastic to do so, "One question though..." he asked "What is pasty?"

Goodbye my friend, and thank you for so very much.

Funt Solo

My regular collecting of 2000 AD started right here:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mabs

I'm absolutely gutted by the news. I knew he was ill, but it still doesn't lessen the shock. Carlos will be missed sorely by us all, but I take comfort in the fact that his work will live on forever. ❤
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dark Jimbo

I keep thinking about the final page/panels of his last Stront story - such a fitting way for King Carlos to bow out.
@jamesfeistdraws

DrRocka

You're SO right, Jimbo. If there's never any more Strontium Dog, then it's ended perfectly. Huge condolences, my friend.
Never ever bloody anything ever

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 01 October, 2018, 07:58:15 PM
An amazing talent lost, it's incredibly sad. Everything I've ever heard about Ezquerra paints him as an incredibly talented person that was a joy to be around. It's sad when anyone dies, but this is truly a heart breaker.
Just listening to you extolling The Stainless Steel Rat for President :-(

Krakajac

Being in law enforcement, I've (to my own detriment) become desensitised to many of the harsher things in life.  This news has brought me back to earth, so to speak.  On patrol at this very moment - my partner is talking - but I ain't listening.

I'm based in Oz - and will probably never attend a 2000AD con.  Carlos was the one and only creator I ever corresponded with.  A true gentleman and a massive loss.

sheridan

Quote from: Krakajac on 02 October, 2018, 12:55:02 AM
Being in law enforcement, I've (to my own detriment) become desensitised to many of the harsher things in life.  This news has brought me back to earth, so to speak.  On patrol at this very moment - my partner is talking - but I ain't listening.

Not in law enforcement, but I do talk to a few people a week who are recently bereaved, and some each month who are going through major life events such losing jobs, struggling to keep a roof over their heads, losing their families, suffering from terminal diseases and wanting to put their affairs in order.  You have to become somewhat desensitised, otherwise you'd spend all day every day shaken and dazed.

QuoteI'm based in Oz - and will probably never attend a 2000AD con.  Carlos was the one and only creator I ever corresponded with.  A true gentleman and a massive loss.

I think I saw that Mark Sexton attends your local cons, though don't know if there's any coming up.

SuperSurfer

Really upset to hear the sad news. I stood in the stairwell today at work in disbelief.

I also wish I met Carlos but I'm grateful to have had the pleasure of attending his and John Wagner's talk at the 2000AD 40th event.

I just took out my prog 1 to see the preview image of Dredd. TBH I'm not sure if Carlos drew that but as we all know, the design is his. It grabbed my attention 41 years ago... and all these years on it hasn't let go. Not only was Carlos one of the best comic artists in the history of the medium – when it came to character design, he was a genius. 

I was just reading his first full colour prog strip in the Case Files a few days ago.

For those not interested in comics it might be difficult to understand the impact some of these creators have on our lives.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

13school

Devastating news. I'm shattered.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Trout

Dash Decent

Gutted.

2018 has been a totally terrible year for me personally.  I already spend most days wanting to burst into tears and now I feel totally distraught.

My heart goes out to his family.

Thank you Carlos for your incredible artwork.  We are so fortunate to have had you in our lives for such a long time, and for the amazing volume and quality of your work.  You will be missed.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.