Main Menu

Another submission question!

Started by dedsmart, 02 December, 2011, 04:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedsmart

s been nearly 10 years since my one and only submission to 2000AD, I was 18 and on reflection it was a pretty crappy script that Tharg rather graciously said had 'perfunctory' dialogue!

All these years later I'm considering giving it all a go again and had a couple of questions that you guys might be able to help out with.

I've got a handful of ideas in my head that are ready to be scripted. If I do get round to writing them all, will it hinder my chances to send them in as each one each is ready, without waiting for a response for the previous script?

Also a few of my ideas I'm pretty certain I could write in two or three pages and would probably be more effective this way. Is it ok to be under the five page limit, or is Tharg specifically looking for five page Future Shocks?

Advanced thanks for the help!

Dan

The Legendary Shark

Hi Dan, and welcome.

Never send more than one script in at a time. I got told off by Tharg for submitting one script to 2000AD and then, about 8 months later (before I'd had the rejection of the first) sending another to the Megazine. (Yes, it can take that long - over a year sometimes. It's frustrating, but Tharg's minions have a lot of stuff to get through and submissions from us are of an understandably low priority. Sending letters asking if your script's been read or lost is a judgement call - but I say give it at least a year, probably closer to 18 months.)

Future Shocks have always (to my knowledge) been up to five pages, so two, three or four should be fine. There have been quite a few four-pagers quite recently, as I recall.

Also, I'd highly recommend writing scripts for the small press for four reasons. 1) It's the best kind of practice there is. 2) You get to work with some exceptional artists, letterers and editors.* 3) It gets your work seen. 4) It's jolly good fun!  There are lots of small-pressers on this very forum. Check out the Creative Commons section and you'll find some cracking stuff.

Some search terms that might help: Zarjaz, FutureQuake, Dogbreath, Jikan, Hallowscream, Paragon, Dr WTF?! and Vampire Vixens of the Wermacht.

That's my two penn'orth anyway - but I'm strictly an amateur (some would even say amateurish) so you should take what I say with a pinch of your favourite condiment. Whichever way you go, I wish you the best of luck!

*And if the cheque hadn't arrived in the post this morning, guys, there would only have been 3 reasons ;)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

dedsmart

Hi Leg,

Haha, I'll heed your advice, avoid the telling off and when I'm ready to submit to Tharg make sure I only send in one submission!

Thanks for the advice about cutting my teeth on the small presses. I'll definitely look into it and try that avenue first.

Cheers

Dan