Main Menu

tales of telguuth sample

Started by terrapin, 25 November, 2011, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrapin

Hello all, ive just signed up here and wanted to hear your opinions and critiques on a sample ive been working on. Its The Collosal Wealth of Karn Foul Eye. Ive posted it off to Tharg but have a feeling its in a huge pile of other samples so Id love to hear what everyone thinks. The script is available to read in 2000ad submission scripts. Cheers

El Chivo

terrapin

CrazyFoxMachine

Lovely to see your stuff Terrapin - welcome to the forum!

It's like a lovely mash-up between Davey Candlish and El Chivo - !

locustsofdeath!

Yeah man, lovely stuff. I really like the heavy blacks you've used. Great character designs and action sequences. This is my kind of art.

Neil McClements

Really beautiful work, nicely done. Is there anywhere we can go to take a closer look at this and more of your artwork?

terrapin

thanks for the kind comments, when you spend half your life drawing its nice to know that people like your work! Looking at it now ive finished it, I wish id done some better work on the backgrounds. Mostly they look a little sparce and dont really add to the story. I think some of the camera angles could be more varied too. I gave myself a limited amount of time to work on the pages so thats that. Im glad the pages have been well received.

terrapin

Thanks Archey! Follow the link to see some of the work i do - concept art, 3d stuff, etc. Theres no other sequential stuff up as I work traditionally and dont have a scanner currently but feel free to take a look.

http://terrapin-man.deviantart.com/

Pauul

Wow, really beautiful artwork.

And yeah, it's probably sat in a massive pile of other samples but your artwork is really great - so hopefully it'll stand out.

Are you working on anything else at the moment?

terrapin

Thanks Pauul, im working on some character designs in my sketchbook. I plan to ink scan and colour them, apart from that im taking a look around the forum. Ive only started posting recently, how do I change my avatar picture? - i dont see a profile option anywhere

terrapin

thanks for the note pauul - It seems you have to use the forum for a while before you become a fully fledged member

SuperSurfer

Thanks for showing us your work terrapin. Amazing stuff. Very accomplished.

Can I suggest you take a look at the blog of ex-Marvel Editor in Chief Jim Shooter. He makes some very interesting points about inking:
"Creating the illusion of depth. Depth is the key to clarity. Inkers control black, white and gray, that is, the extremes of VALUE, lightness and darkness, and to some extent, gray, the middle ground. Value—lightness and darkness—is THE most effective tool for creating the illusion of depth."

If I was to nitpick I think you could create more depth in some of the panels eg though varying inking line weights. I think that would take your work to an even higher level.

Jim Shooter's blog really contains a wealth of information and I advise anyone with even a passing interest in Marvel or the US comics scene to read it. A few months ago I was completely addicted to it and was reading it every day from the start like a book. Need to get back into reading it.
http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/05/inking-rant.html

terrapin

Yeah youre right, I think i need to work on this. I inked this work mainly using a number 2 brush, I have tried a few different dip pen nibs but can never get a decent flow of ink. Do you have any recommendations for dip pens/nibs? - thanks for the link surfer, ill take a look.

SuperSurfer

No probs terrapin. I am struggling myself regarding what to use for inking and I've asked that question myself here. I've tried all combinations of drawing and inking on paper/tracing paper/Photoshop and I haven't worked out what I am most comfortable with. I can't get used to brush pens – just feel unsatisfactory though I might try the more expensive refillable versions. Never got to grips with dip pens. I have a bag of markers and on the rare occasion I ink on paper I end up using roller pens. Sounds odd but I like the resistance.

I often end inking in Photoshop but this is far slower than on paper so I want to cut that out. I haven't tried Manga Studio.

There are a few folks round here who I am sure can give you some decent tips.

terrapin

yeah, if anyone has any tips for using dip pens/ nibs it'd be great to hear them. Cant seem to make them work for me.
Also is their a thread or link showing other earthlets Karn Foul Eye submissions? id love to see how other artists tackled the script.