Main Menu

2000AD characters with defined 'real' religious orientations

Started by Tordelbach, 07 March, 2005, 05:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tordelbach

Just reading the always interesting 'Fool Brittannia', where Reggie muses on the (fascinating) Radio 4 documentary on the 'Jewishness' of Superman, and asks about the whereabouts of characters with clearly-defined religions in comics.

To his informal shortlist, I could only add (IIRC) Kitty Pryde from 'X-Men', who is/was Jewish, and David from 'Strangers in Paradise', who is/was devoutly Christian. This got me thinking:  what about Tooth.  

Do we have many 2000AD characters with defined 'real' religious orientations?  

Link: http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/fool/" target="_blank">Reggie's religious experience

Funtwangle

slain is a pagan
cannon fodder is a christian priest
loads of em really

Richmond Clements

Tordelbach

Apologies to all about the lack of title in that post - no idea how to edit it retrospectively?  Wake?

I was wondering whether we are to believe that Devlin is actually Catholic, what with him working for the Vatican and all.  And what about Dante and all that business with the nuns?  Then I supose there's various Jewish characters in Cabalistics.

As to Nightcrawler, Reggie does mention him alright - other less well-known X-mutants now spring vaguely to mind too, Cannonball is/was pretty mid-west Christian (a Baptist?), I can't shake the feeling that Psyche (aka Xian/Shan) also of the New Mutants is/was Catholic.

Richmond Clements

I think that Devlin was a Catholic, but becoming a vampire resulted in him being excommunicated.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

LSDfish

Theres Missionary Man one of my all time fave chars - can't quite remember if he was a real priest or self-appointed

LSDfish

okay he's taken on the name of some chap called "Cain" from the bible,  and is either a christian reverend or "Jes' some mad ol' Tex-City judge"

Bico

Tyranny Rex is a catholic - you don't get much more catholic than a nun.

Also, 'pagan' is more of an umbrella title to a large group of pantheist religeons, rather than a specific theology of its own - kind of like 'christian' doesn't automatically mean catholic or protestant.

Oddboy

Yeah but deep down the differences between Catholic and Protestant is hardly worth fighting over.

Oh.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Funtwangle

all religions are bollocks anyway

Carlsborg Expert.

Does not the queen of the desert,McGruder have a new world faith she clings to in the Cursed earth?

Funt Solo

Yeah, she was a mentalist.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Endjinn

Well, if I'm aiming for obvious, isn't Verse from Caballistics under holy orders?

Erm...and there was that shitting vicar from Asylum?

Richmond Clements

And the guy who worshipped Jose.

Or was it Steve?

jont

Snow of Snow/Tiger was a a Muslim.