Main Menu

Watchmen certificate

Started by wrly_bird, 12 February, 2009, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

It's official, folks. Yesterday, Watchmen was passed by the BBFC with an uncut 18 certificate and a final running time of 161 mins and 54 seconds (at least eight minutes of which will be the end credits).

Goaty

wrly_bird

Perfect for us, maybe, but this certainly isn't good news for the distributors, who will have been pushing for the lowest possible cert in order to coup the widest possible audience. Given the certificate, the running time, and the likelihood that Joe Credit Crunch isn't going to want to sit through 161 minutes of "The-End-Is-Nigh", i really don't think Watchmen's going to make its money back in theatres, not unless it can find a substantial audience beyond the fanboys, which is unlikely. If you look at the production history of this project you'll see that it's been put into turnaround time and time again not because it's "unfilmable" (since when has that stopped Hollywood; do you think the producers of Pirates of the Caribbean balked at adapting a theme park ride?) - but because there's never been a mass audience for it. Hence the reduction in budget from $200 million to $120. I think I'm right in saying, a movie has to make three times what it cost to produce just to break even, which means Watchmen will have to put an awful lot of bums on seats. On DVD, however, I reckon it'll clear up - if the movie's any good that is.... (fingers crossed)
It'll be interesting to see which way the wind blows on this one, as the success of Watchmen will most likely dictate DC's comic-book slate for the foreseeable future.

JOE SOAP

since people won't have any jobs by March, they'll have nothing else to do except spend their dole money at the cinema watching longer films that affirm their serfdom.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: "wrly_bird"It's official, folks. Yesterday, Watchmen was passed by the BBFC with an uncut 18 certificate and a final running time of 161 mins and 54 seconds (at least eight minutes of which will be the end credits).
There's nothing yet on the BBFC's website.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Buttonman

I'm sure I had a Trivial Pursuit question about films grosses and the gist was that it needs to makes twice its production budget to 'make money'. 'V for Vendetta' certainly did good box office on  a potentially hard sell but that said I'd be surprised if Watchmen grosses anything north of $100 million at the US box office.

On the DC slate appears to be Jonah hex starring Josh Brolin - it'll be interesting to see how far the make up goes.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Buttonman"I'd be surprised if Watchmen grosses anything north of $100 million at the US box office.

I'd say that's a real underestimate.

Buttonman

$100 million is a benchmark for the success or failure of a lot of films. The current chart (link below) has some right old bobbins such as 'Paul Blart Mall Cop' at that level as well as 'Grand Torino' which although good would seem a hard sell also. Conversely stuff that you might have thought would do well such as Underworld seem to be relative misfires. Anyone want to guess up the opening week gross?

I'll pitch in with $55 million on the basis it'll be marketed like no ones business - the clincher will be whether the word of mouth brings people in on week 2.

//http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/boxoffice/;_ylt=AsJ4Xnn_.FTmnwbiCl53eIBfVXcA

JOE SOAP

I'd never expect Underworld to do well, it's more direct to video and it's the third of a weakening series. Grand Torino is old style Clint and everyone misses that.

wrly_bird

QuoteThere's nothing yet on the BBFC's website.
Knew I should have included a link. It was on their site this morning. Honest!

Roger Godpleton

My problem thus far has been that the promotion for this film has given no guarantee of female nudity.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Godpleton"My problem thus far has been that the promotion for this film has given no guarantee of female nudity.

Hint: she fucks him in the owl ship, it's in the second trailer.

TordelBack

Quote....the promotion for this film has given no guarantee of female nudity.

Ah yes, but the costumes make it better.  Well, Laurie's does at any rate.

Radbacker

I'm noticing my non-comic reading friends (i do have a couple but I'm constantly trying rectify it by getting them to read some Moore or Morrison) are seeing alot of the hype about this and asking me if I'd read the comic or heard of it at all so there is a chance that the marketing blitz they're doing is getting into the average cinema goers head.  Could be monster opening then peter off as people realize how dour it is.

Anyone seen this
http://www.minutemenarcade.com/uk/

its of the Minutemen Game that Adrien Viedts company released in the 70's (pretty advansed for the time but Watchmen universe was always ahead of ours technologicaly due to Manhattan
Love this Viral Stuff

the shutdown man

Quote from: "garageman"Hint: she fucks him in the owl ship

Is that a metaphor?
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.