Main Menu

Alan Moore

Started by ukdane, 26 September, 2005, 12:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Which reminds me... I've got the 49ers on my bookshelf still waiting to be read.
Better set your phaser to stun.

WoD

It's like someone has inner-knoweldge, gained either through some arcane ceremony or from transcribing an interview....

Something Fishy

probably a bit mean of me.  but he does seem a prickly old customer and not the total laid back hippy we see in the pictures.

philt

Would Alan Moore have got to where he is now without 2000ad?

Possibly. Before 2000ad how many British creators were working for American comics? er....

Would Warrior have existed? It's unlikely. IPC producing 2000AD proved that there was a demand. Warrior rode on the coat tails of the market 2000ad created. Dez Skinn was well known for this -  spotting a niche and filling it. That's all he did. He saw a gap and produced a comic (well occasionally) to exploit it.

As for 2000ad not getting the credit it deserves -I think you've missed the point I was trying to make...

Eric Plumrose

'Would Warrior have existed? It's unlikely.'

Why? Sure, Dez has been quoted as being a bit of rascal, but Warrior (to begin with at least) was always more mature than 2000 AD, not just its content but also its approach to creators. Okay, a lot of people didn't get paid but the intent was there. When Warrior first hit the stands, IPC was still cranking out whatever tosh it thought kids would buy. Who's to say they wouldn't have come up with summat else in 2000 AD's place? Back then, there was still an underground scene where a good few 2000 AD contributors first saw print. Yeah, of course, it might not have Warrior by name but there's no reason why there couldn't have been something similar, something else that was a showcase for British and Irish talent.

'I think you've missed the point I was trying to make . . .'

Maybe I did. Just like you seemed to miss the point I was making.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

malkymac

Hi folks. I haven't posted for a while so nice to speak to you all again.

Nothing major to report but I thought it worth mentioning that I once went to see a version of Halo Jones at the Edinburgh festival in 1987 and the great man Alan Moore was there to see it (along with about 20 other people).

I went and spoke to him and he told me that he had nothing to do with it and it was totally unofficial but he was really supportive of the project(although I imagine that he was not geting paid anything for it).

He was a top bloke and even signed my post card that I bought and had a chat over a drink for a good old while.

It was a great wee show btw!

Queen Firey-Bou

Blimey !   i was at that show, well maybe the one the night before or after... sadly in those days i wouldnt have known any squaxx, or an alan moore if i'd bumped into them. toby? the dogs costume was great.

malkymac

You couldnae miss him. He looked just like the droid cartoon you used to see once in a while in the nerve centre stories!

Except he was wearing normal clothes.

malkymac

IIRC it was in some converted church near the top of
Leith Walk.