Main Menu

Dredd, ?offence? and ?lenient? in the same sentence?

Started by -=D0nk3ySh4gT1me=-, 09 September, 2003, 02:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-=D0nk3ySh4gT1me=-

Mighty One, what?s going on?
I had to read it twice and then ask my wife to read it aloud for me.
I still don?t believe it!
In all my years of reading 2000ad (all the years you?ve been printing, other than my slight driftings as a teenager, but that?s another story) I have never heard the like.

I think of myself as one of your loyal majority, who have never written in, don?t know the inside leg measurement of your lowliest droid and is not ashamed of reading comics at 35, but doesn?t go to comic fairs dressed as a Klingon. Yet here I am putting finger to keyboard and to make it worse, COMPLAINING.

I?ve put up with a lot over the years, something?s not your fault (strikes and the like) something?s that are (BabeRace2000, Harry Potter or Kirby Kid or whatever you called it back then, etc) but I am not putting up with this.

When have you ever heard Dredd use the words ?offence? and ?lenient? in the same sentence?
Now I?m not gay or nutten and I can quite clearly see the perps have their jubblies out, but Dredd?s been tempted before, why give in now? They need a good seeing too with his day stick and throwing in the cubes. Same goes for Gordon Rennie.

CGI_squirrel

But ... but ... they hardly had any clothes on! Leave Dredd alone, and Tharg!

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

judge dreddd

Devons Daddy

i thought that. but since its a new boarder and seems to be genuinely annoyed i did not mention it.
lucky really its too cryptic to understand.

hi there DONk3y
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

paulvonscott

Well, Dredd was leniant because it was a relatively minor crime and they did it only in order to save lives.  I don't think it was the jubblies persuading him.

I reckon it would normally have got a fine or a warning anyway.  And of course Dredd could have just said 'No Citizen, remain clothed' and it seems he was willing to try the crazy plan.

I rest my case.

(at which point Rennie turns up and says 'I dunno, I wrote it because it seemed funny at the time, and it had jubblies'

The Amstor Computer

I thought it was quite funny, and entirely in character - Dredd is presented with a group of gorgeous naked women, and his reaction is to tell them to get covered up or do time.

GordonR

And, as if on cue...

As has been suggested, I think the original poster has missed the point somewhat.  Dredd's minor leniency wasn't because he was being swayed by the plethora of jubblies on offer, it was because the cits had stripped off in the first place to try and save him and the family in the car.  I think he's still remarkably grumpy, unimpressed and in-character in that last panel.

It was originally going to be a bus-load of male body builders.  It was only when Ian Gibson was confirmed as artist that it seemed a far better idea to make them female and come up with any old comedy excuse to make 'em get their kit off.

judge dreddd

narrrr. he has been infected by judge pansy from a different dimension... over the next few weeks he is going to give out more and more lenient sentances and then go awol to be found picking flowers in a park....its all TRUEEEEEEEEEEEE

Queen Firey-Bou

having now read the prog concerned i can understand what on earth mr Donkey was on about, definately 'SPOILER' category. i wonder had it been a bus load of male muscle men would the reaction be different.

anyway it made me giggle. one for the underwear thread.

paulvonscott

"i wonder had it been a bus load of male muscle men would the reaction be different."

More an 'Ewwww...' factor I suspect :)

CGI_squirrel