Main Menu

Best And Worst TV Series Endings

Started by GrinningChimera, 23 December, 2013, 07:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Woops :) I meant more in this microcosm of sitcom finale discussion

I, Cosh

NB I know it's my problem, not yours, theirs or whatever.

Nonetheless, it genuinely baffles me when people talk about watching a series of a comedy or buying a box set of Last of the.Summer Wine. Isn't comedy something you watch the odd episode of when it's on rather than set out to watch deliberately? Probably just me. I'd never choose to see a comedy at the pictures either, even though I like laughing and sometimes they are funny.

Seen a lot of  fb moaning about How I Met your Mother. Had to stop reading when a friend of a friend said it was the worst ending since Blake's Seven.

Best endings: Blake's 7, The Shield, Angel, Sunset Beach. Blackadder had a n okay ending but the whole last series was pretty dismal.

Worst: not sure. The Wire was a bit pooh but it had generated so much goodwill by then that i can't hold it against it.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 19 July, 2014, 09:44:08 AM
Nonetheless, it genuinely baffles me when people talk about watching a series of a comedy

Three of my most re-watched box-sets are Father Ted, The Office & Curb Your Enthusiasm.
In the latter case, barring one season, I've watched each series' episodes back-to-back on DVD.
But I take your point- it's the genre that most easily lends itself to sporadic / opportunistic viewing.

Frank

US sitcom seasons are dragged out for so long you'd have to be a masochist to stick with them all the way through, but stuff like Partridge, Blackadder, and Father Ted were appointment viewing for me and have been rewatched many times over on repeats. I eventually saw every episide of Friends and Frasier through repeats too, because they were on at a time when I needed something to eat while eating and I get locked into routine quite easily. Wouldn't watch them on video.

Bat King

Blake's Seven ending disappointed me. Though now I probably wouldn't like the ending I wanted at the time.

Worst endings of all are when a channel switch happens and I don't get the new channel. Annoying as I know the program still exists but for me it has ended.

I didn't see Firefly at the time. Seen it on DVD since and cannot understand why it didn't run at least 5 full seasons. Heck it could still be going... A very rich setting.

Survivors reboot. Had an ending with a conclusion. AND a cliff hanger for a third season or spin off. Good AND bad...

Best endings have me stumped right now. Must be one not mentioned yet but cannot think of one...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

von Boom

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 July, 2014, 10:34:17 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 19 July, 2014, 09:44:08 AM
Nonetheless, it genuinely baffles me when people talk about watching a series of a comedy

Three of my most re-watched box-sets are Father Ted, The Office & Curb Your Enthusiasm.
In the latter case, barring one season, I've watched each series' episodes back-to-back on DVD.
But I take your point- it's the genre that most easily lends itself to sporadic / opportunistic viewing.

I regularly re-watch Black Books, Chef, Father Ted and Black Adder. I laugh at the same things over and over.

Frank

Quote from: sauchie on 19 July, 2014, 11:01:18 AM
I eventually saw every episide of Friends and Frasier through repeats too, because they were on at a time when I needed something to eat while eating

You needed something to watch while eating, idiot.

GrinningChimera

Quote from: sauchie on 19 July, 2014, 12:59:13 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 19 July, 2014, 11:01:18 AM
I eventually saw every episide of Friends and Frasier through repeats too, because they were on at a time when I needed something to eat while eating

You needed something to watch while eating, idiot.

Eating without eating. That's some art of war stuff right there :P

Batman's Superior Cousin

TV - Being Human (UK), Psychoville, Blackadder Goes Forth, Merlin, Law & Order: UK
Movie - The Dark Knight Trilogy
Comic - Star Wars: Legacy-Volume One, Nikolai Dante
Computer Game - The Walking Dead: Season One, The Wolf Among Us, Syphon Filter Trilogy
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Theblazeuk

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 July, 2014, 04:58:58 PM
Wolf Among Us - worst endings.

Oh, is the last episode out? Best go play this, then
Lock up your spoons!

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 20 July, 2014, 01:58:39 PM
TV - Being Human (UK), Psychoville, Blackadder Goes Forth, Merlin, Law & Order: UK
Movie - The Dark Knight Trilogy
Comic - Star Wars: Legacy-Volume One, Nikolai Dante
Computer Game - The Walking Dead: Season One, The Wolf Among Us, Syphon Filter Trilogy

I should also point out that I'm looking forward to the endings to Boardwalk Empire, Fables & Falling Skies.

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 July, 2014, 04:58:58 PM
Wolf Among Us - worst endings.

It has one of the BEST endings if [spoiler]you didn't chase Faith/Narissa at the end[/spoiler].
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Theblazeuk

It still just [spoiler]cuts out[/spoiler] right?

The actual ending scene is ok I suppose I just don't really feel the final chapter had much to say in the end.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Hawkmumbler