Main Menu

The Batman (2021)

Started by Apestrife, 23 August, 2020, 08:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 24 August, 2020, 11:29:07 AM
We've had over 30 years years of DKR and Killing Joke setting the tone for Batman comics and adaptations. Can we please move on?

Yeah. I'm very bored with Armoured Riot Cop Batman™ — I'd very much like to see something more like Breyfogle's lithe, athetic Batman flitting around the rooftoops of Gotham, just for a change...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 August, 2020, 11:55:14 AMYeah. I'm very bored with Armoured Riot Cop Batman™ — I'd very much like to see something more like Breyfogle's lithe, athetic Batman flitting around the rooftoops of Gotham, just for a change...

It would be interesting to see something like that, but for some people it stretches credibility too much. With all the guns he'd be faced with, not to mention the unrelenting physical trauma, he wouldn't last. Cunning and shadows would only take him so far.

Obviously, people wanting credibility probably shouldn't be watching these movies anyway.

One of the reasons I'd like to see an animated Dredd is so we can have costumes and bikes that look like the comic, and we don't have to worry about the practical realities.

Regards,

Robin

CalHab

I'd be a lot more excited about an adaptation that took inspiration from Grant/Breyfogle.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: CalHab on 24 August, 2020, 12:39:06 PM
I'd be a lot more excited about an adaptation that took inspiration from Grant/Breyfogle.

Yes, you forget what a superb series of comics they produced together.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Robin Low on 24 August, 2020, 12:25:55 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 August, 2020, 11:55:14 AMYeah. I'm very bored with Armoured Riot Cop Batman™ — I'd very much like to see something more like Breyfogle's lithe, athetic Batman flitting around the rooftoops of Gotham, just for a change...

It would be interesting to see something like that, but for some people it stretches credibility too much. With all the guns he'd be faced with, not to mention the unrelenting physical trauma, he wouldn't last. Cunning and shadows would only take him so far.

Obviously, people wanting credibility probably shouldn't be watching these movies anyway.

One of the reasons I'd like to see an animated Dredd is so we can have costumes and bikes that look like the comic, and we don't have to worry about the practical realities.

Regards,

Robin

I did like kevlar-plated hulk Batman, but it's wearing a bit thin now.  It really, really worked for movie Dredd though; I never thought I'd say it but it got me wondering if the comics Dredd shouldn't get a bit more practical in his dress.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

I think the trailer is promising, my only problem is that I it seems overly violent.

I'd also like to see a more athletic, less armoured Batman. I think it could work if they approached it like a ninja/martial arts film.

Robin Low

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 August, 2020, 02:51:23 PMI did like kevlar-plated hulk Batman, but it's wearing a bit thin now.  It really, really worked for movie Dredd though; I never thought I'd say it but it got me wondering if the comics Dredd shouldn't get a bit more practical in his dress.

To be fair, with advances in material technology it's entirely reasonable to postulate reactive light-weight and flexible body armour that can harden in response to impact, dissipate heat and so forth. They've been doing it in SF for years and you can do it in Dredd easily, too.  With Batman it's not so easy if you want that gritty pretence at realism.

Regards,
Robin

Funt Solo

I enjoyed the trailer. I think lots of people have tried to do DKR Batman, but ultimately failed because they like the visuals but can't adopt the correct level of grimness, or the time frame.

This trailer made me think more of Rorschach than DKR, but I like that. I can't see how heroic Batman would be any different than all the MCU cheese on offer.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++