Main Menu

DREDDCEMBER!

Started by pauljholden, 06 December, 2018, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Could see an animated Dredd working (if mega city fails) but loving the "bonus"  - that's ma favourite so far as he pips Dredd as my favourite character. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

pauljholden

GET TO DE

Man, this is overworked as all heck. I googled some reference for ol' Marlon and this great Cam Kennedy drawing came up and I entirely unsuccessfully tried to channel it. But since I was already committed to the expression it was a pigs ear. Then I googled some headshots of pale skinned ginger men to use as a painting reference. That was no help. So as usual I just pissed about until I spent too long on it.

Mission was to try and produce something that didn't have the startling Dayglo of computer colouring. This is a miss, maybe. I'm not sure what it is about my computer colouring that makes it so.. so computer coloured. Maybe it's the over saturation or the general brightness of them. I gotta figure it out.

Anyway. There it is. Twitter has a video too... (can't figure out how to link the video to the message board, soz!)

maryanddavid

Great thread and great images! The last Hershey and Anime Dredd fav's so far. Keep up the good work!

pauljholden

Dredd head with red

Spent a big chunk of today wearing a VR headset and drawing head in VR for fun. Thought I'd exhausted myself on drawing dredd, then the idea of spot red in grey wash hit (because Jock) and so it was super fast.

Felt like I cheated though, someone else's idea, a lazy dredd sketch, not putting too much effort in. But it's been a long day.

I have an idea of a different way to approach painting tomorrow or so. I get frustrated at painting in lowered opacity if you paint over your paint it just makes it less opaque, which is sort of what you expect, but not want. So I'm gonna try a low opaque on top of textured stuff just to see if that produces what I want. Too knackered for that tonight. So you get this.

TordelBack

That Chopper is brill. How many styles do you have in you,  PJ!

pauljholden

On art styles: the late WR Logan (Stewart Perkins) would tell you too many. Way back when I redrew a strip class of 79 four or five times, each time I'm a radically different art style. I'm more settled now - my forms are more-or-less consistent, I'm just playing with rendering at the moment, and there you can steal form everywhere - so as many art styles as there are artist (but they all look like crude approximations)

This is a super fast inked sketch with a faux screen tone in Procreate. I wanted it to feel like aged paper but that would've required more time/tricks. (And nit the five minutes this took!)

Proudhuff

Loved that Chopper... don't count it as a fail, someone out here loves it!

The letratone Dredd should really be on that old toilet paper the Prog was printed on back in the day  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

Trooper McFad

Another day of Dreddcember and another great sketch will be sad to see it end as the board has had 2 great advents this year. I bet your wishing it over already PJ.
I've enjoyed every one you've put out even what you call your "failures" . Hope you've got enough inspiration left to get to the end 👍🏻.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

pauljholden

Anderson. Decided I'm bored of seeing the same dredd face, so time to figure out who else is in there. This, if I'd spent more time on it, might've worked. But I wasn't nearly as invested in getting it finished as some of the others (and it WOULD require a lot of work to get to a finished stage.

pauljholden

hate that Anderson so much I drew a different one. This one was faster but looks better because it's a quick ink sketch and they tend to be ok if drawn sloppy. The anderson colours look too ... plastic.

SIP

Really enjoying this thread PJ - great work!

pauljholden

Caption contest!
(winner gets to have their gag stolen for my digital Xmas card... though I already have one, so I might not pick a winner)

Pencils and inks in Procreate. A bit daffy but mostly happy with the inks on this. A little sitiff, a
And I start to lose interest towards the end. I'd like to get back to brush inking but my eyesight just isn't what it was - I couldn't even see the tip of a sapphire series 51 10/0 any more let alone ink with it, sadly.

pauljholden

Coloured this up. I'm Procreate. Slightly frustrating experience since it can give you true hard edges for flatting colour, and the select a bit messy and ... anyway. Largely happy with the results, but as an experiment in colouring it was informative.

pauljholden

BONUS!

There's a #spidersona tag on twitter, what you would look like as spider-man from the movie Spider-verse. Well, the nailed me already with pudgy-given-up-on-life Spidy, so thought a Dredd spider-verse would be cool. I WAS WRONG AND I ONLY ASK FORGIVENESS. IT IS AN ABOMINATION.

Mardroid