Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 February, 2012, 01:53:04 AM
As long as it feels like Dredd, I don't really care if we're looking at a film that could be set in the 2100s, or 2030, or, like Children of Men, a brutal near future. It's an adaptation of Dredd. On those shots, MC-1 looks horrible—an absolute shit-hole. There's a real 'on the brink' vibe coming off the snippets we've seen, which I'm really intrigued to see as a film. That certainly beats the '90s gloss of the last one.

My perception of Mega-City One has always been of a gargantuan insane asylum run by lunatics. A place exotic and dangerous as a tropical rainforest. This looks, so far, more like 1984, with a subdued terrorized population living in a squalid enviroment being ruled over by government thugs.

As Joe has pointed out already, and I'll reiterate, it's 3 seconds of one shot. Not much to make judgements on. Even so, it seems to be a film that's coming out of Bagdhad or Afghanistan, and it fits with the current economic disaster as well. So if the film makers are trying to tap into this it looks like they have succeeded.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Bat King

Quote from: bigjobs67 on 12 February, 2012, 11:33:07 AM
I'm gonna go all out.IMAX. Manchester. Slap bang in the middle but right @ the back in those posh seats. A little bit pissed and a little bit high and yeah, in 3D. (Not a big fan but It's filmed in it, soooo). :thumbsup:

I hadn't even considered our local Imax might be showing it...

Now I gotta wait to find out!!!
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

bigjobs67

Not entirely sure it'll been shown on the one in Manchester? But if it is, that's how I'm gonna see it.  :thumbsup:
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Danbo

You can see 3D in I-MAX ? I thought it was one or the other?
Myself  2D at the digital screen in Mannys Filmworks,won't be pissed though ;)
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

chuffsteruk

Regarding the 20th century van in the chase clip-perhaps it's a stand in van,pre-fx,much like the motorcycles in this behind the scenes clip from Terminator Salvation`?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrbYD32toM

Steve Green

No, you can have both, but IMAX is a bit of vague term anyway.

A lot of IMAX showings are just blown up to fill the screen, not filmed in IMAX. Exceptions to this are segments of The Dark Knight and Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol

Dredd wasn't filmed in IMAX, so it will just be a larger screen.

Steve Green

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 12 February, 2012, 12:11:21 PM
Regarding the 20th century van in the chase clip-perhaps it's a stand in van,pre-fx,much like the motorcycles in this behind the scenes clip from Terminator Salvation`?

No.

We've seen stills of Justice Dept vans, and they're contemporary.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Bat King on 12 February, 2012, 11:25:32 AM
Got to say it is a shame to see people actually arguing on the board.

Don't think anyone was really arguing, SBT (a man I have never had anything against or dislike -apart from his SW prequel love- and still respect) seemed more to be off-loading some film hate since most of his post was directed at it rather than attacking me, whom seemed merely a pretextual opener to said rant. I just thought it was funny that he ran off in a huff with such zeal all the while telling us he was doing so. He likes a show.

I really don't think it's a bad thing to point out now and again, simply, that we aren't looking at even finished shots or even full sequences let alone scenes.

As to the look of the film if you really want to rationalise their direction:

If there was a large THERMONUCLEAR WAR things may well look this way in a very best case scenario. With half the world a nuclear wasteland, resources would be limited and hard to find, production/manufacturing would be utilitarian, regulated with a high incidence of re-using old tech/old factories. A war like that could easily set a resource strangled city-state/world back a century, especially when the remains of the US are packed into a handful of over-populated city-states on the brink of chaos. That's why it needs to be run by the Judges.

There wasn't a whole heap of mass, advanced tech-innovation/manufacturing between the fall of the Roman Empire and the Industrial Revolution and certainly not of the exponential degree since the discovery of oil. THERMONUCLEAR WAR could set the world back to a new middle-ages -which is what Dredd's world basically is- a world of walled/protected city-states ruled by an elite and very reminiscient of how cities were constructed/governed in the middle-ages.

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 February, 2012, 11:22:02 AM
(I also have no doubt that if the film fails to deliver Joe will rip the guts out of it)

Those knives are being beveled as we speak.

JOE SOAP

As you can see in the T-S clip the bikes have FX/green tracking markers. There's nothing like that -at least visible- in the Dredd shots.

chuffsteruk

Danbo

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 February, 2012, 12:12:01 PM
No, you can have both, but IMAX is a bit of vague term anyway.

A lot of IMAX showings are just blown up to fill the screen, not filmed in IMAX. Exceptions to this are segments of The Dark Knight and Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol

Dredd wasn't filmed in IMAX, so it will just be a larger screen.
Ah,never knew that. Still going for the 2D though I think, imax almost square which i can't stand and 3D gives me a headache.

Steve Green

It depends on what's being shown - the main IMAX screens are square(ish) but unless the film has space to fill that, they'll usually show non-IMAX with space at the top and bottom.

I'm pretty sure the chain-IMAX screens are roughly 16:9 and they letterbox 2:35:1 films.

Danbo

TBH the IMAX screen at Manchesters filmworks didn't seem any larger than the digi screen when I watched Batman and Watchmen and I'm that age where i can be arsed going up 3 sets of stairs even if they are escalators.

2D with a bucket of Ben n Jerrys chocolate macadamia and I'm a happy bunny.

I will say though this is one of the few exceptions where I'm willing to see it twice in one day,IF it washes the Stallone stench from my Dredd memory banks.

Mardroid

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 February, 2012, 12:14:46 PM

No.

We've seen stills of Justice Dept vans, and they're contemporary.

They were different again to that white van, though weren't they? I.e. they were contemporary, but I could just about buy them in a near future scenario, although a bit of add on stuff would help. They're suitably shiny and utilitarian and fit law-enforcement very well.

I'm largely optimistic about this film. I like the judge uniforms, and while I'd like to see a city sprawl something like the comics (something the first film actually got right)  I'd accept a grimmer concrete block landscape over the lovely curves and phallic imagery we usually get, although I hope that's not done away with entirely.

That footage of the van chase did take me out of it though. What we're seeing may not be the finished product - and I hope they add more blocks in the background - but that white van looks old even in our time period. I'm not against 20th/21st century vehicles being used in that environment. People still drive older vehicles nowadays, and it makes sense that in a post war scenario (assuming the war is much more recent in the film time period than the comics) they'd utilise resources from the past rather than churning out new technology en masse, but I'd like to see a mixture of both and I think they could have come up with something better than that van. I hope it's just a stand in, although I take Joe's point:

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 February, 2012, 12:26:17 PM
As you can see in the T-S clip the bikes have FX/green tracking markers. There's nothing like that -at least visible- in the Dredd shots.

It could be rehearsal footage that had slipped over the wall, so to speak, rather final footage, but we'll see.

Misgivings aside, I'd like to add: in the end, context is everything. We really don't know how any of it will work until we see the final product. I'm still very much looking forward to that experience.

Steve Green

Yes, because that's they are the Justice Department, which are supposed to be the high end of the tech available in the near-future world they're going for in their version of Dredd.

Honestly, it is what it is.

People are kidding themselves if they think the van is going to be any different. They would not go to the effort of tracking in Digital Mattes and roto the background for rehearsals.

Shots do change, but all that may change IMO are tweaks to the background.