Main Menu

Top 100 Movies of the 2000AD forums!

Started by PsychoGoatee, 25 September, 2008, 05:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_askham

QuoteAnd why everyone picks Akira as their token manga i dont know, when films like Metropolis are sooooo much better.

Well speaking personally, Akira was the first anime I saw way back when, and it blew me away at the time like no other has since. It was groundbreaking animation, and far from 'token manga'.

Oh, and Fight Club repeats itself at 34 and 79.

Nice list though.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"The Ladykillers (that had better have been a vote for the Ealing version)

You'd better bloody believe it! What do you take me for?
@jamesfeistdraws

M.I.K.

Evil Dead 2
A Matter Of Life And Death
The Wicker Man
Pulp Fiction
Amelie
The Company Of Wolves
Quatermass And The Pit
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Edward Scissorhands
Bride Of Frankenstein

There. That'll do.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "M.I.K."Quatermass And The Pit

Oh, bravo!

Although I remain disappointed that the mooted Alex Proyas re-make never actually happened.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

ROBOCOP
Still as watchable today as it was twenty years ago.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
All in 100 minutes - Ford and Spielberg at the height of their powers.

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
The only Star Wars movie I don't feel a little bit ashamed about liking.

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
The others are good but had wince-inducing Elf and Dwarf moments that belittled them.  And this had my two favourite setpieces (Moria and the fight at the end).

APOCALYPSE NOW
A real journey to the darkside and about the only war movie that at no point throws you a wink as if to say "It'd be quite cool to be here being heroic wouldn't it?" (apart from Come and See)

STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT
I know there's not much love for TREK on the board and probably even less so for this plot-hole ridden movie but it's my favourite because a) it's so unlike Next Generation (even though I love Next Generation) and b) I nearly cry every time Picard explains that he can't leave the ship without his friend.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
Best. Western. Ever. And Claudia Cardinale surely plays the BEST. WHORE. WITH. HEART. OF. GOLD. EVER. And is weapons grade sexy.

THE RIGHT STUFF
It's a great book (very different in tone from the film) but Kauffman has you rooting for the mythical astronauts he has created.  "Who's the greatest pilot ever?"  cut to Chuck Yeager walking out of a plane crash...

UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING
Another one that makes me cry at the end.  Not that I often get to the end because Juliet Binoche and Lena Olin have normally done for me by then.

MONSTERS INC.
It was this or THE INCREDIBLES but this edges it because it has a lot of personally good memories for me and I think the ending is just absolutely perfect; logical yet suprising and, when Sully opens that door again, absolutely uplifting.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

MMM? Just realised I've posted nothing from before the sixties.

And not a single Bond.

That can't be entirely right.

Still at least it's not, as one amusing list program had it, "Star Wars, The Simpsons + whatever I saw last week".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TheEdge

Quote from: "chris_askham"Well speaking personally, Akira was the first anime I saw way back when, and it blew me away at the time like no other has since. It was groundbreaking animation, and far from 'token manga'.

Oh, and Fight Club repeats itself at 34 and 79.

Nice list though.

trust me Check out metropolis, Appleseed, Blood or Ninja Scroll.

Manga wise check out Battle Royale ( you can pick them up in english i believe tokoyopop) or freeman.

My favourite Anime is Devilman its a series and forever unfinished however afro samurai can be fun.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

The Legendary Shark

Jaws
Aliens
Saving Private Ryan
The Terminator
The City of Lost Children
Unforgiven
Sin City
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Bladerunner
Monty Python's Life of Brian
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Just out of curiosity, why is Fellowship of the Ring on there with one vote, when Return of the King isn't?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

satchmo

Dead of Night
King Kong
The Big Lebowski
The Thing
The Princess Bride
Vertigo
The Goonies
Escape From New York
Dawn of The Dead
A Canterbury Tale

Original Kong and Dead, Carpenter Thing obviously!
SO many others I had to miss out, I had to include 40 on my favourites on my facebook page!

Wake

There was an ongoing survery on the old 2000AD Online. It's not currently editable, but the top 20 films based on lists of up to 5 were:

1   Blade Runner    45
2   The Fellowship of the Ring    41
3   Star Wars    39
4   The Empire Strikes Back    39
5   The Matrix    32
6   Fight Club    26
7   Alien    23
8   Aliens    22
9   Pulp Fiction    19
10   Brazil    15
11   Judge Dredd    14
12   Goodfellas    12
13   The Wicker Man    10
14   Casablanca    10
15   Leon    10
16   Raiders of the Lost Ark    9
17   True Romance    9
18   Gladiator    9
19   Apocalypse Now    9
20   The Blues Brothers    9

Click HERE if you want to know more.

Kerrin

JamesC

My Top 10:

1.The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

2.Superman 2

3.Mad Max 2

4.Commando

5.Robocop

6.The Magnificent Seven

7.The Great Escape

8.Flash Gordon

9.Psycho

10.The Meaning of Life (Monty Python)

SmallBlueThing

1. The Wicker Man (proper version)
2. An American Werewolf in London
3. The Fog (original)
4. The Thing (Carp)
5. Day of the Dead (85)
6. Wendigo
7. Moulin Rouge! (Baz version)
8. Land of the Dead
9. Wendigo
10. Dagon

Steev

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"Just out of curiosity, why is Fellowship of the Ring on there with one vote, when Return of the King isn't?

Cheers!

Jim

I rank older votes above newer votes. I read through the pages, and whenever I see a new movie that hasn't been voted for I add it to the bottom of the list below all the other 1 vote titles. When a title gets 2 votes, I cut and paste it below the other 2 vote titles, etc. For the record, Return of the King is ranked at #147 right now.

It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.  :shock: