Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium71

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 March, 2020, 09:51:36 AM
People are really, really, losing their fucking minds.

Things we aren't going to run out of: milk, eggs, soap, toilet roll and baked beans.

Things we are going to run out of very soon: potatoes and tomatoes, which are largely imported at this time of year. Thanks to Just In Time supply chains, the stuff that would have been in the shops next week probably hasn't even been picked yet... and the places where they grow are all under lockdown.

As a bonus: remember all that flooding? The flooding that stopped UK farmers planting a wide variety of crops earlier this year...?

See , I'm thinking what people should start doing is , if they have gardens that is , to assign a patch of their back gardens to crop growing , and get those potatoes in now. Other basics like lettuce , tomatoes , peas. Get them planted now , and with any 'luck' , they'll be coming into their own when there could be shortages. Swap excess crops with neighbours. Your spare potatoes for their spare cabbage. Prepare now , it wouldn't hurt either way. You'll have free food regardless if the shops have enough veg for everyone. It's a war with the virus , so start having that blitz spirit mindset. I don't have a garden or any access to one , but god do I wish I did. I tell fellow workies to start this up in possible readiness , and I just get the usual meh 😕
...because I hate you.

von Boom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 March, 2020, 01:07:09 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 19 March, 2020, 01:01:02 PMhe said he'd have to think about it and come up with a suitable value if he did let me have one. Prick.

Unbefuckingleivable. Kill the twat. Take what you want. Y'know... if that's how he wants things to work.
Par for the course with this guy.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: strontium71 on 19 March, 2020, 01:23:54 PM

See , I'm thinking what people should start doing is , if they have gardens that is , to assign a patch of their back gardens to crop growing , and get those potatoes in now. Other basics like lettuce , tomatoes , peas. Get them planted now , and with any 'luck' , they'll be coming into their own when there could be shortages. Swap excess crops with neighbours. Your spare potatoes for their spare cabbage. Prepare now , it wouldn't hurt either way. You'll have free food regardless if the shops have enough veg for everyone. It's a war with the virus , so start having that blitz spirit mindset. I don't have a garden or any access to one , but god do I wish I did. I tell fellow workies to start this up in possible readiness , and I just get the usual meh 😕

Way ahead of you! (As are quite a few of my mates)

We've been setting up every spare bit of garden that isn't lawn (and some bits that are) to grow all kinds of veg and herbs. My partner went into full-on Brexit preparedness mode after the first leave date was set.

We've already enjoyed bumper crops of potatoes and onions, but we've gone into full production mode now!

Peas, carrots, potatoes, onions, spring onions, strawberries, blackberries, herbs of all shapes and sizes etc etc. She's even planted an apple tree and cherry tree for further down the line.

I was also considering chickens last year after discussing their cost, care and initial outlay (excuse the pun) with John Wagner at Lawless. Wish I had now, as I'm down to five eggs left and there's none in the shops.

strontium71

That is actually really great to see there! Good work , very good work  :) :)
...because I hate you.

IndigoPrime

We have whatever the opposite of green fingers are. Any growing tips — and advice for dealing with the seemingly infinite number of slugs in our garden — would be welcome. Perhaps that in itself could be a thread here.

shaolin_monkey

TordelBack

I knew all this felt familiar - I just re-read Issue 46 of Moore's Swamp Thing (it was my second one), and as usual the Magus puts his stained be-ringed finger on it:

"Everyone who's ever hoped to be long dead by doomsday looked up, and the feeling in their stomachs was just as they always knew it would be.  It seemed unfair, but then it had to happen in somebody's lifetime".

Now to dig out the relevant issues of Promethea to see how his views matured...

Leigh S

Obvious solution is to shit on his lawn.

Quote from: von Boom on 19 March, 2020, 01:01:02 PM
My wife's brother-in-law was bragging he had enough toilet roll to last them for at least a year. When I asked if I could get a package, just one mind, he said he'd have to think about it and come up with a suitable value if he did let me have one. Prick.

Hawkmumbler

My main concern is juggling what few hours I can parse from work (40-50 hour week reduced to as little as 12) and keeping home, desperately trying not to pass anything onto my elderly grandparents.

It's quiet frightening times right now lads, not going to lie at all.

Funt Solo

Run oot o' bog roll? Dinnae fash: get yersel' an erse gadget like wan o' these!

Ra full title is a bit much, though (and missin' an apostrophe, so it is): "Portable Travel Bidet, Personal Bidet Sprayer for Kids Ass Washing,Pregnant Women Cleansing, Postpartum Clean, Handheld Travel Bidet with 450ML Water Capacity and Angled Nozzle Spray"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

strontium71

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 March, 2020, 06:06:06 PM
My main concern is juggling what few hours I can parse from work (40-50 hour week reduced to as little as 12) and keeping home, desperately trying not to pass anything onto my elderly grandparents.

It's quiet frightening times right now lads, not going to lie at all.

Never thought I'd ever be telling someone I'm frightened, but when half the work staff get put on immediate 3 day week for THREE months , and knowing I'll be next within...dunno , then I , too , am genuinely emotional and a wreck right now. Started off as a not too bad day , considering. Then BAM , people are worrying about just trying to get through the next week , let alone 3 months. Minimum.
I always thought I was unempathic , that I didn't really care about people's lives , as they didn't affect me. Turns out I was very , very wrong.
...because I hate you.

moly

One of the worst things for me is how all this is going to affect people's mental health and the more than likely people committing suicide as the impact gets worse and worse

shaolin_monkey

One effect of all this is that we're seeing a whole bunch of conspiracy theories pop up on social media and the web. I won't go into what they are, but you can probably guess.

Dr. John Cook and Dr. Stephan Lewandowsky (Creator and contributor respectively to EDX course 'Denial 101x' - THE online course about understanding the psychology of climate change denial) had planned to release a handbook on conspiracy theories next month. However, they released it today as they could see its needed! It's a short pamphlet of about 10 pages, but a great look at the modus operandi and psychology of conspiracy theorists.

Here you go:

https://www.climatechangecommunication.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ConspiracyTheoryHandbook.pdf

Tjm86

I must be clearly doing something wrong.  I keep missing all these conspiracy theories. 

Maybe someone is deliberately hiding them from me to keep me ignorant?   ::)

That's a cracking document though.  Well worth the short read.

Thanks for that.

TordelBack