Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

Quote from: Old Tankie on 15 April, 2020, 09:22:49 AM
We live in extra care housing, approximately 100 of us, carers in and out all day. We have the virus in the building and we have had deaths but we are not sure what people have died from. There is no panic here, we are just doing our best to survive with the help of great staff.

My thoughts are with you, too, Tankie. Hope you and yours will all be okay.

My sister works in a Nursing Home back here in the Emerald Isle, so I'm always fearful of getting 'that call'. It would appear that they are at least on top of things there for the moment now, though no thanks to the arsehole management running the place. They initially didn't see the need for the provision of PPE, as there was no evidence that anyone in the home had the virus at the time. I strongly urged my Sis that she and her colleagues should insist on being provided with this equipment as, surely it made sense to take all precautions to limit the possibility of being infected in the first place. In any event, it would appear now that all necessary steps and precautions have been taken, full PPE is being provided, and all staff are having their temperature checked twice a day before entering and leaving the building. But given what inept shit-heads the so-called bosses running the place are like - and I know this from talking to her previously - the number of deaths happening in Nursing Homes comes as absolutely no surprise to me. The same dumb-fuck mind-set and refusal to listen is clearly replicated amongst management in other similar settings throughout the country.

Stay safe, Old Tankie and all the best.

TordelBack

Quote from: Rately on 15 April, 2020, 12:49:58 PM
Surely shaping up to be the greatest scandal in British history...

Is it, though?  In addition to almost certainly following Trump's anti-WHO line, I think the whole clusterfuck is going to be successfully spun into a tirade against EU 'Health Policy' (?) and open borders, and how if only Obama Corbyn and the treacherous remoaners hadn't frustrated the Will of the People for so long the the virus-riddled spics and wops could have been held at Calais in a latter-day Battle of Britain, but Boris was forbidden from unleashing the metaphorical 601st Squadron of Sovereignty Regained on Merkel and Barnier's unwashed zombie hordes, not to mention the NHS being short the £350 million a week that Europe stole, and this is the result.

Anyway more dead burdens people now means less future infections, so a stronger re-start for the economy and that's the Conservatives for you, the party of taking hard decisions in order to balance the books.

paddykafka

Just wanted to wish my best to yourself and your folks as well, Tordels. Cheers and fingers crossed for them both.

Rately

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 April, 2020, 02:58:08 PM
Quote from: Rately on 15 April, 2020, 12:49:58 PM
Surely shaping up to be the greatest scandal in British history...

Is it, though?  In addition to almost certainly following Trump's anti-WHO line, I think the whole clusterfuck is going to be successfully spun into a tirade against EU 'Health Policy' (?) and open borders, and how if only Obama Corbyn and the treacherous remoaners hadn't frustrated the Will of the People for so long the the virus-riddled spics and wops could have been held at Calais in a latter-day Battle of Britain, but Boris was forbidden from unleashing the metaphorical 601st Squadron of Sovereignty Regained on Merkel and Barnier's unwashed zombie hordes, not to mention the NHS being short the £350 million a week that Europe stole, and this is the result.

Anyway more dead burdens people now means less future infections, so a stronger re-start for the economy and that's the Conservatives for you, the party of taking hard decisions in order to balance the books.

They surely can't spin this, the dead, the mental health fallout, the long term effects on our Health and social care staff never mind the generation of kids who will grow up in circumstances the likes of which we only ever imagined or were witness to in fiction. At some point, you can't spin, and the hope would be an almighty reckoning for some of this Government. I have been let down before, I probably will again, but I won't forget or forgive the shambles, and those who were part of it, and those who chose to try and defend it.

TordelBack

Quote from: paddykafka on 15 April, 2020, 03:01:41 PM
Just wanted to wish my best to yourself and your folks as well, Tordels. Cheers and fingers crossed for them both.

Cheers Paddy I don't envy your missus - the nursing home gig is a rough one at the best of times, and these aren't those.

Anyway, just got good news (of a sort - well, I'll take what I can get) on that front: finally got through to someone (although nit the man himself), chemo postponed until June, apparently has been going well enough that a missed session or two is likely to be less of a risk than a visit to Virus Central.  It'll then be handled in the consultant's own office away from the active hospital.  So someone is thinking, at least.

von Boom

Stay well Tankie.

All the best to you and family, TB. I hope it goes well for you all.

I hope everyone on here is keeping as well as can be. Cheers all.

Rately

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 April, 2020, 03:08:30 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 15 April, 2020, 03:01:41 PM

Cheers Paddy I don't envy your missus - the nursing home gig is a rough one at the best of times, and these aren't those.

Anyway, just got good news (of a sort - well, I'll take what I can get) on that front: finally got through to someone (although nit the man himself), chemo postponed until June, apparently has been going well enough that a missed session or two is likely to be less of a risk than a visit to Virus Central.  It'll then be handled in the consultant's own office away from the active hospital.  So someone is thinking, at least.

That's great news! Hopefully alleviates some of the stress.

TordelBack

Quote from: Rately on 15 April, 2020, 03:05:46 PMI won't forget or forgive the shambles, and those who were part of it, and those who chose to try and defend it.

I really hope you're right, Rately, but there seems to be so much room for excuses from international comparisons and marketable blame.  Here in Ireland I hope to feck that it's the final wake-up call for reforming and resourcing our two-tier health service, but having just watched the two traditional parties manoeuvring happily back into bed together I have no optimism on that score.

Rately

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 April, 2020, 03:22:16 PM
Quote from: Rately on 15 April, 2020, 03:05:46 PMI won't forget or forgive the shambles, and those who were part of it, and those who chose to try and defend it.

I really hope you're right, Rately, but there seems to be so much room for excuses from international comparisons and marketable blame.  Here in Ireland I hope to feck that it's the final wake-up call for reforming and resourcing our two-tier health service, but having just watched the two traditional parties manoeuvring happily back into bed together I have no optimism on that score.

Couldn't agree with you more, lad. The Assembly needs a good boot up the hole.

Robin Swann just told the Assembly that the British Government did not make him aware of the European Procurement Scheme for PPE for frontline medical staff. Someone asked if he would have used it, and he said he would seek help from all sources.

Disgraceful. I think long past time NI approach the EU, and Unionist / Loyalist anger etc be damned, because lives are more important than squabbling over who we get help from, whether it be the EU or the British Army.

paddykafka

Glad to hear your good news, Tordelback. Cheers for now.

IndigoPrime

They will spin it. The right-wing press is already doubling down on the heroic Boris Johnson, and relegating the death count to a subhead, if it's even mentioned. The scandal is being ignored, as media parrots the UK government's line that the NHS is responsible for the problems in privatised care homes (?!). We're in a properly fucked state now AND in the future at this rate.

And be mindful the Tories now have a massive amount of wiggle room. They are polling 54% — with Labour on ~29 and the Lib Dems basically dead. For anything other than a Tory majority, we are going to need the kind of political shift that has never been seen in modern history, which will at the very least require the non-Con/BXP/DUP parties allying to some extent, the Lib Dems to regain some electoral heft, and probably an admission no-one's getting their claws into the SNP's Scottish seats.

Clearly, we aren't living in normal times. If we were, this government would have probably already fallen.

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 April, 2020, 03:36:54 PM
They will spin it. The right-wing press is already doubling down on the heroic Boris Johnson, and relegating the death count to a subhead, if it's even mentioned.

You sure about that?  Everything I'm seeing at the moment is exactly the opposite.  There seems a growing awareness of the discrepancy between hospital death rates and ONS figures (if you want to be really terrified, visit the ONS website and have a gander!).  Even Piers Morgan and LBC are getting in on the act.

The current emerging picture is that actually the government doesn't have a Scooby about the current state of the pandemic.  The speed with which they tried to shut down Starmer's suggestion that it might be some idea of how to get out of this mess is probably the best indication of current government 'thinking' about what is going on.

Remember how we once laughed at the idea of a Johnson led government?

Bolt-01

Speaking as someone who actually works with NHS stats - nobody really knows what is going on. The reporting is being revised almost daily leading to extremely limited comparisons being possible.

Tjm86

It's crazy isn't it.  I mean the UK is supposed to be one of the more advanced nations of the world (and I use that word highly advisedly!).  It is supposedly highly technocratic and data driven.  More than anything though this situation has revealed the reality of this myth.