Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I'm not an admin, but I will just remind everybody of the following from earlier in the thread...

Quote from: Molch-R on 24 March, 2020, 11:27:07 AM
I'm going to step in at this point and provide a little guidance on this thread.

Anyone posting misinformation, conspiracy theories, or scare-stories from dodgy sources will have their posts removed and bans may be handed out for repeat offenders. If you don't see where the line is drawn by my previous sentence, don't post.

A lot of people are scared and under extraordinary stress, this is not the time to spread misinformation that will stoke panic or fear. Please practice a little empathy and think about the safety and well-being of other human beings.

Emboldened for emphasis — IP

shaolin_monkey

U.K. folk -  Important reminder:

You can help Kings College London track and slow the virus!

Follow the link, download an app, and just log in once a day for a quick 30 second update on how you're feeling.

Go here:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 21 April, 2020, 11:46:40 AM
I'm not an admin, but I will just remind everybody of the following from earlier in the thread...

Cheers for the reminder, Sheridan!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 April, 2020, 12:15:35 PM

Cheers for the reminder, Sheridan!

Aye, fair enough!

sheridan

(I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but also like people not to be temp-banned).

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Molch-R on 24 March, 2020, 11:27:07 AM
I'm going to step in at this point and provide a little guidance on this thread.

Anyone posting misinformation, conspiracy theories, or scare-stories from dodgy sources will have their posts removed and bans may be handed out for repeat offenders. If you don't see where the line is drawn by my previous sentence, don't post.

A lot of people are scared and under extraordinary stress, this is not the time to spread misinformation that will stoke panic or fear. Please practice a little empathy and think about the safety and well-being of other human beings.

Emboldened for emphasis — IP

Sorry

Lock up your spoons!

shaolin_monkey

This FT analysis of available data is staggering.

So a more likely CURRENT figure for U.K. deaths is about 40,000. And we're not moving down yet.

If we have the same number of deaths on the way down as the way up, we could be looking at 80,000 deaths by the time we're through the first wave.

And don't forget there could be as many as ten waves.

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-3d05-43bc-ba03-e239799fa6ab

Professor Bear

Funt Solo

It's the equivalent of something like Donald Trump giving out medical advice!

---

In the article "Number 10" get into some fantastic double-think with their argument that being at and engaging in a group's meeting don't amount to being in the group.  Uh-huh.

Quote"It is not true that Mr Cummings or Dr Warner are 'on' or members of Sage. [They] have attended some Sage meetings ... they ask questions or offer help when scientists mention problems in Whitehall," a No 10 spokesman said.

No undue influence, then. Just "asking" and "offering". And we can all trust Dominic Cummings to remain agenda-free and not try to control things.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JOE SOAP

We've known he's part of SAGE since the Sunday Times reported it several weeks ago.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 March, 2020, 02:18:24 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 March, 2020, 10:00:13 AM
Just in case anyone was uncertain what actual honest-to-God evil looks like, here's a snippet from today's Sunday Times by Tim Shipman, their political editor:

The final paragraph implies worse.

Professor Bear

The Guardian is running it as an "exclusive", and it only seems to have blown up on Twitter right now, so it's possible that we just didn't notice at the time what other things.  Or there wasn't any other catastrophe going on to make us scared and/or angry so they're whipping one up for us to keep us amused during lockdown, which is very considerate of them.

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 April, 2020, 03:42:56 AM
It's the equivalent of something like Donald Trump giving out medical advice!

---

In the article "Number 10" get into some fantastic double-think with their argument that being at and engaging in a group's meeting don't amount to being in the group.  Uh-huh.

Quote"It is not true that Mr Cummings or Dr Warner are 'on' or members of Sage. [They] have attended some Sage meetings ... they ask questions or offer help when scientists mention problems in Whitehall," a No 10 spokesman said.

No undue influence, then. Just "asking" and "offering". And we can all trust Dominic Cummings to remain agenda-free and not try to control things.

MacabreMagpie

That thing about the fake NHS accounts, the guy making the claim (who has declined to share his workings) has a dodgy track record with providing evidence for such things.

"His was the first account we were able to find that shared a false quote that went viral during the 2019 election campaign. The quote (in a now-deleted tweet, still available on the Internet Archive) was claimed to be from the leaked US-UK trade documents, and supposedly said that the US reserved the right to "withdraw all trade" if the UK did not agree to discussions about "the sale of all assets within and partnered with the National Health Service".

No such quote appeared in the leaked text. When asked by a Twitter user where the quote appeared, Mr O'Connell gave a page reference that did not exist in any of the documents."

https://fullfact.org/online/evidence-network-fake-nhs-tweets/

shaolin_monkey

Another essential report COVID report, this time from the following:

Robert Hockett - Professor of Law at Cornell Law School in Ithaca, New York;

Helen Ward - Prof Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Director of Education, Imperial School of Public Health

Michael Jacobs -  director of the Commission on Economic Justice at the Institute for Public Policy Research and a visiting professor in the Department of Political Science and School of Public Policy, University College London.

Nisreen Alwan - Assoc. Prof. Epidemiology Public Health, University of Southampton

Topics discussed:

Exit strategies from lockdown, lack thereof
Test, trace, quarantine - absolute need for
Economy and public health
Economy and climate crisis
Government policy and failures thereof
Economic impact
Mortality rates
Huge risks to U.K. healthcare workers

https://youtu.be/KN0K0dgLwYE

Professor Bear

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 26 April, 2020, 08:33:47 AM
That thing about the fake NHS accounts, the guy making the claim (who has declined to share his workings) has a dodgy track record with providing evidence for such things.

There are questions to be asked about the source, but at the very least I'd expect most newspapers to be running stories about the far left fake news factory by now.