Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

As for episode 200 - it's so energising listening to a fresh take on the old progs.  Particularly as you're entering the era where I wouldn't have re-read them quite so often (if at all - adult life and all).  The enthusiasm and humour that you and Fox bring always cheer up a sometimes dreary day!

Also - on a more personal note, your archive of podcasts is a great goal for my own prog slog - I know that every four or five progs I'll have a new-old Space Spinner to listen to!  (I listen to them after doing my own blog, so as not to influence what I write too much)*.  This is vitally important when it comes to certain annuals and specials ;)

* though the Harry 20 collection will be fairly fresh when I get to it, in about a month or two *shrug*

WhizzBang

Congratulations on reaching the 200 mark! Do you remember the days when Conrad would announce you were on episode 43 or something and Fox would groan at how high the number was?  It's great that you have both stuck with it and we get to follow the highs and lows with you as you plough on forwards.
A special thanks to Conrad for the work and energy he puts into keeping the show going.

Eamonn Clarke

Bring on episode 200 and more power to your podcasting elbows.
Space Spinner 2000. The best thing to happen to thrill-power since the Mighty One himself!

Colin YNWA

Episode 200 - I DEMAND MORE. MORE MORE!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling TWO HUNDREDTH episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 621-624 of 2000AD, covering April of 1989. This episode Dredd is heading down south for justice, Anderson is in a psychic showdown, Medivac 318 comes down hard, and Rogue Trooper gets held up on his way to Cinnabar!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

And thanks so much to everyone on the forum for their support! Here's to many more episodes! Also if you're interested in looking at the breakdown of our top and bottom thrills you can find them here!

2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

Great work guys, and only right that Dredd and SD are the top thrills. Ant Wars is in Fox's bottom thrills chart but didn't he doa Mega City Book Club podcast on this? The highs must have outweighed the lows in the long run for him.

I know you were only joking but I can confirm that Danish is a language since I have been learning it for the last year. It is pretty hard aurally but not so bad to read.

Leigh S

The lure of stats is too strong... I am working my way through the episodes to weight your dislikes by appearance!  Just realised that DR and Quinch never got a top slot - heresy!!

Leigh S

Numbers Crunched!

If we look at appearances vs how many times a strip gets the top spot from Conrad and Fox, then deduct any bottom placings calculated using the same measure, a Thrill Percentage can be achieved.  The following strips rise to the top (excluding any that only appeared in 5 or less shows, arbitrarily!)

1: Halo Jones              70%
2: Skizz                      64%
3: ABC Warriors            58%
4: Harry 20                  42%
5: Strontium Dog          26%
6: Judge Dredd             23%
7: Anderson                 22%
8: Nemesis                  19%
9: Stainless Steel Rat    18%
10: Invasion                 14%
10: Zenith                    14%

Bottom Thrills by this measure:

1: The Mind of Wolfie Smith      -78%
2: Mean Arena                       -43%
3: Blackhawk                         -28%
3: Mean Team                       -28%
5: Rogue Trooper                   -27%
6: Ace Trucking                     -23%
7: Dan Dare                          -21%
8: Inferno                             -19%
9: Future Shocks                   -17%
10: MACH 1                           -17%

sheridan

Must keep telling myself - 'bottom thrill' does not mean it's bad, just that everything else is better...

Colin YNWA

Wow thats fantastic Leigh S - but poor old Wolfie Smith it wasn't that bad and I actively liked chunks of it - but he's such an outlier!

Leigh S

I remember at the time poor Wolfie getting a kicking week on week from Space Spinner.. to be fair I suspect if I read it again now, all Fox and Conrad's criiticisms  of Wolfie using his powers to be a dick would ring very true!

Harry 20 is also an unusual one to see so high, but I get that too - Schlock of the finest order!

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 April, 2020, 10:28:11 AM
Wow thats fantastic Leigh S - but poor old Wolfie Smith it wasn't that bad and I actively liked chunks of it - but he's such an outlier!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 April, 2020, 10:32:32 AM
I remember at the time poor Wolfie getting a kicking week on week from Space Spinner.. to be fair I suspect if I read it again now, all Fox and Conrad's criiticisms  of Wolfie using his powers to be a dick would ring very true!

To be fair though teenages can largely be dicks! I speak form lived experience.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 April, 2020, 11:59:01 AM
Quote from: Leigh S on 30 April, 2020, 10:32:32 AM

To be fair though teenages can largely be dicks! I speak form lived experience.

For every Ardeni Lakam there's an Ernest Patrick Smith...

Leigh S

[If you arbitarily move the number of episodes to a minimum of 10, the lists look like this:

2: ABC Warriors            58%
3: Strontium Dog          26%
4: Judge Dredd             23%
5: Anderson                 22%
6: Nemesis                  19%
7: Stainless Steel Rat    18%
8: Invasion                 14%
8: Zenith                    14%
10: Slaine                   10%

Bottom Thrills by this measure:

1: Mean Arena                       -43%
2: Rogue Trooper                   -27%
3: Ace Trucking                     -23%
4: Dan Dare                          -21%
5: Future Shocks                   -17%
6: MACH 1                           -17%
7: Robo-Hunter                     -16%
8: Tharg                              -14%
9: Meltdown Man                   -8%
9: Bad Company                    -8%

There are coincidentally only 21 stories to appear in 10 more episodes, with Sooner or Later the only one not appearing on either list (due to not being picked either way - including Swifty's Return in the episode count)

Leigh S

Fox's list look of positive thirlls looks like this:

2: ABC Warriors            58%
3: Stainless Steel Rat    36%
4: Strontium Dog          28%
5: Anderson                 19%
6: Nemesis                  18%
7: Zenith                    18%
8: Judge Dredd             14%
9: Slaine                   13%
10: Invasion                 9%