Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: blackmocco on 05 December, 2017, 01:44:54 AM
He LOVES TNG's 'Yesterday's Enterprise' and the dilemma at the heart of it.

So I guess the plot of the new film would be [spoiler]Everythings got fucked up, people fights, get killed, so much evil, so much deaths then it all reset at ending? [/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Goaty on 05 December, 2017, 10:12:43 AM

So I guess the plot of the new film would be [spoiler]Everythings got fucked up, people fights, get killed, so much evil, so much deaths then it all reset at ending? [/spoiler]

Two photon torpedo technicians talking about foot massages for twenty minutes while they wait for the order to motherfrakkin' fire, dammit!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 December, 2017, 10:17:42 AM
Two photon torpedo technicians talking about foot massages for twenty minutes while they wait for the order to motherfrakkin' fire, dammit!

Heh. What I love about Tarantino films, there will be scenes of that gubbins and I'll still listen to it, and be entertained.

TordelBack

The compelling dilemma in Yesterday's Enterprise is what constitutes a life of significance: fighting the good fight, or dying to prevent that fight ever starting. Only one thing is clear: being zapped by black goo is a waste.

blackmocco

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 05 December, 2017, 10:17:42 AM
Quote from: Goaty on 05 December, 2017, 10:12:43 AM

"Know what they call a Big Mac on Talos IV...?"
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

Tiplodocus

So I right enjoyed that.

Lorca is certifiable but I don't think [spoiler]he's from mirror universe[/spoiler] unless he is playing a long game and very good at acting.

And a shock death!

But good to see a [spoiler]mirror universe[/spoiler] episode that wasn't high camp.

Good to have it back. It's still not Star trek but some of the things the characters say are helping it get there.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

I'm undecided about this change. I need to think about it some more. There were elements I thought 'yes, that makes sense', but some of it didn't work for me, [spoiler]namely the murder and the agony booths[/spoiler]. I'm also coming to the realisation that Burnham is dull as dishwater and I don't care about her story in the least.

blackmocco

Maybe the break was the worst thing that happened here but ten minutes into this, I started asking myself do I actually like this show?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

All the characters are assholes, no-one trusts each other, and they haven't done a single original thing yet - what's not to like?

The Legendary Shark

I re-watched the first nine episodes in the hope that, now my disappointment has dissipated somewhat, I might actually enjoy it. I didn't.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

I really enjoyed that - I thought it was extremely entertaining and great fun.
There are plenty of questions but that's all part of the fun (Im intrigued to know what Burnham's history with the Vulcans is in the mirror universe).
I don't think it's fair to say the characters are all assholes and that they don't trust each other. Burnham is pretty sound and obviously trusts security bloke (probably wrongly so), Lorca certainly trusts Burnham etc.
I think the whole thing's ace.

Jim_Campbell

Yep. Really enjoyed this latest episode. Haven't enjoyed a ST series this much since DS9, although in a very different way (obviously).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bad City Blue

Nice switch to a "Dark Universe" alternate reality - very STar Trek!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!