Main Menu

Honest Opinion

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 05 July, 2017, 01:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

This pretty bad form on your part (and IANAL, but potentially illegal)

-pj

Steve Green

The Doctor Alt 8

How else can I find out how bad/ good they are? They knew I was filming them.

Steve Green

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 05 July, 2017, 02:39:24 PM
How else can I find out how bad/ good they are? They knew I was filming them.

'videos I made in secret'

Why does it matter to you?

JamesC

I wouldn't worry about it being bad form - it's not really that big a deal is it? And I'm almost certain it's not illegal.

As for the performance - they're well out of time as much as anything. If they want other people to enjoy their work it may be worth getting a tough professional in to tighten them up a bit and cull the no-hopers.

Sounds a bit cruel I know - if they're just doing this for their own amusement let them get on with it.

Banners

As someone with significant am-dram credentials—and as (I hope) a basically decent person—I find your posting of those videos quite reprehensible. I humbly suggest that in terms of respecting your colleagues and the sanctity of the rehearsal room, you take those videos down post-haste.

Tiplodocus

Sorry to have to also wade in and suggest you take them down but I'd suggest you take them down.  It will do no good. It will get back to them. Not sure what you are trying to achieve.

And for a lot of am-dram groups or local choirs, it doesn't matter if they are objectively bad.  They are doing it for fun. And a lot of people come see them to support their chums and family.  So quite often the audience don't care if they are bad.  They might if they were charging £20 a ticket but that's not often the case for am-dram groups.

I thought our last panto was objectively bad; really bad. It made not a lick of sense. Do you know what? Nobody cared. Everybody, audience included had a great time.

Though I did boycott the one before that because I thought it was racist and fed that back and we seem to be getting improvements in that area.

So if you don't like it, say so. And suggest your gang gets some person in to help with their singing.  If they don't care, fine. If they take up your suggestion, even better.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

pauljholden

Quote from: JamesC on 05 July, 2017, 03:07:33 PM
I wouldn't worry about it being bad form - it's not really that big a deal is it?

We differ very significantly on this point.

zombemybabynow

Honest answer: mixed bag - voices seemed strongest during chorus / unison

But, agree - bit odd with the sneaky-sneaky - esspecially as watched this directly after an episode of chance - feeling a tad paranoid and sleazy now!
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

JayzusB.Christ

Never been involved in the amdram scene, but I used to do amateur stand-up - I did some good slots and some bad ones, and generally liked being part of a little circle of amateur comedians who generally just enjoyed the practice and one another's company without being too big-headed or serious about things.

To get to the point, though, I wouldn't have been impressed to find that other members of the group were filming me so that strangers on the internet could assess my worth.  surely it would be better to suggest internet critiquing to the people being critiqued before you go and do it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

My honest opinion is that you should never have secretly filmed people without their consent in a semi-private location and that you certainly shouldn't have posted them online.  To be honest, if I did something like that and was discovered I'd fully expect to be beaten up by the people I'd been filming, if not taken to court.

Woolly

Do you have any videos of yourself singing that I can give my honest opinion of?

The Doctor Alt 8

No. I know that I can't sing. So I don't sing. I wouldn't do it. I know my strengths and weaknesses.
and how can it be sneaky when they produce their own videos of their performance? And all I wanted was an honest independent opinion of their performance. I want to know an I wrong? Call they sing and I can't appreciate it? I dont say who the group is. I haven't named any one. can they sing or not? Just answer that please. Then I'll take it down.

NapalmKev

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 07 July, 2017, 01:46:02 AM

Can they sing and I can't appreciate it?

Can Barney from Napalm Death sing? What about Mongolian throat singing? Opera? It's all about the passion and enjoying what you are doing. I don't consider myself to be a very good singer but that doesn't stop me trying.

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 07 July, 2017, 01:46:02 AM

and how can it be sneaky when they produce their own videos of their performance?

Which they are aware of at the time of filming. What you have  done, by your own admission, is video them in secret and then post the videos on social media platforms. It's not good form, IMO.

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"