Main Menu

How did you discover Judge Dredd?

Started by freedonadd, 27 July, 2016, 07:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

My mate had a copy of 181 and once seen, I bought my own. That was that.

It also meant my first Dredd was the final part of the Judge Child ("Part 26" ?!), and a Ron Smith centre-spread that blew my mind. Brian Bolland's centre-spread the following week continued the damage. McMahon's Aggro Dome punched me in the face the next week. Happy days.

Rogue Judge

Only about 8 months ago I discovered 2000AD. I watched the movie Dredd (2012) which led me to read a new Dredd comic (Judge Dredd: Mega City Zero #1 by IDW - I live in Canada). I enjoyed the character so I did some research and purchased Dredd Case Files #2 - the 2000AD Dredd was so good I was hooked (Cursed Earth and The Day the Law Died are my favorites). Ive been on a 2000AD binge ever since - been spending way too much money but its worth it!

Apestrife

Knew about the character since the Stallone's Judge Dredd film and him appearing in several comic magazines, but things picked up when I -a bit ironically- bought a friend (who kind of liked the character) an issue of Day the law died for his birthday. Book was too much great fun to not look up.

The Case files where up to 8 or so back then, and since I had a job and nothing better to spend my money on --Dredd it was.

A bit later I also realized that the comic was still ongoing. A bit like when I started to listen to The Stooges in 2001-2002 and then in 2004 realize that not only was Iggy Pop not dead (much thanks to Trainspotting I suppose) but The Stooges had also reformed, and was better than before. Much like I found Judge Dredd to be  around the time of Tour of duty and Day of Chaos.

ModsAndDrokkers

Quote from: Fungus on 09 August, 2016, 06:39:19 PM
My mate had a copy of 181 and once seen, I bought my own. That was that.

It also meant my first Dredd was the final part of the Judge Child ("Part 26" ?!), and a Ron Smith centre-spread that blew my mind. Brian Bolland's centre-spread the following week continued the damage. McMahon's Aggro Dome punched me in the face the next week. Happy days.

This was almost exactly the first actual prog I bought: mines was one issue earlier,  the second-last episode of Judge Child,  [the 25th] with the volcano erupting on Grunwald/ Xanadu, as the Grunwalder surveys his kingdom in the centrespread, around early Autumn, 1980.

I first saw Dredd about halfway through the Cursed Earth saga in summer 1978, in my mates' house and I just knew this was superior, hyper-quirky stuff. I never knew the artists' names then, but I remember thinking that Mc Mahons'  scratchy style looked like a souped -up, sci-fi version of David Laws' style [!] 'Dennis the Menace' out of Beano  original artist, early 50s-1970---I kid ye not!

I still regard the era around  Starlord merger period to be amongst the most memorable in the canon---'twas still good in the very early 80s, too.

Somewhat aptly, the large , decaying, detached house I saw my first 2000 AD comics in later on erupted then imploded after being engulfed in a raging fire which destroyed the building altogether:  a somewhat fitting scenario, taking into account the apocalyptic nature of many of Thargs' stories.

vzzbux

Getting  the free RotJ sticker album in prog 333. Never looked back.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Grugz

pretty sure it was prog with jigsaw man , don't remember being aware of him or 2000ad before that.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

jacob g

1993 with polish edition of Judgement of Gotham then I have to wait something like 5 years for another Dredd story to be published here (if I remember corectly this was reprint of "He came from outer space" in obscure Egmont monthly anthology magazine).
margaritas ante porcos