Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 31 May, 2017, 04:57:03 PM
The one thing that puzzles me though is why do they not set a series that post dates Voyager or Deep Space 9? Why is this series and the recent films back in the past of the Star Trek Universe?

Maybe they been everywhere, and ran of enemies with new peace etc.

Greg M.

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 31 May, 2017, 04:57:03 PM
The one thing that puzzles me though is why do they not set a series that post dates Voyager or Deep Space 9? Why is this series and the recent films back in the past of the Star Trek Universe?

Lack of imagination, I suspect. Or possibly the writers don't want to continue dealing with increasingly powerful Starfleet technology, which solves story problems too easily? Personally, I'd be much more interested in something set post-Voyager: to borrow a phrase Grant Morrison once used about the X-Men, Star Trek has become like an ingrown toenail.

Professor Bear

Bryan Fuller was refreshingly honest about the purely-financial motivations behind Discovery's setting.  It's arguably what has subsequently made the unrecogniseable aesthetic of Discovery a bone of contention.

Dreddzilla

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 31 May, 2017, 05:23:30 PMOr possibly the writers don't want to continue dealing with increasingly powerful Starfleet technology, which solves story problems too easily?

That issue was there from Day One, hence almost every adversary the Enterprise faced completely outclassed it, and its weekly conundrums were solved by tricking, moralising, snogging or double-handed punching - and often all four. At the other end of the chronology, re-watching Voyager, you'd swear they didn't even have a transporter the number of times they offer an excuse for why they can't use it, and the warp drive packs in almost daily. 

My point being, Star Trek stories usually start from the standpoint of neutralising all that tech, don't see why that couldn't continue into the 25th C.

The Legendary Shark

Pandering to focus groups?

Far future = confusing, scary, unrealistic.
Near future = simple, comforting, realistic.
Hats = suspicious.

Therefore, executive producers want a series set in the near future with a crew that doesn't wear hats.

Or something.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 May, 2017, 10:54:38 PM
My point being, Star Trek stories usually start from the standpoint of neutralising all that tech, don't see why that couldn't continue into the 25th C.

I do agree with your point - I just seemed to recall that prior to Star Trek: Enterprise being launched, there were various comments from the creators that they wanted to reintroduce limitations to the technological capabilities of the crew, and were concerned that this might prove harder to achieve with a post-Voyager or Voyager-contemporary setting. I suppose it's a bit like the problem comic writers sometimes face with Superman. As you say though, it's nothing that can't be solved at a script level, and shouldn't be a hurdle.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 June, 2017, 06:40:41 AM

Hats = suspicious.

Therefore, executive producers want a series set in the near future with a crew that doesn't wear hats.

Or something.

I forgot they used focus groups for everything these days. It's a form of insurance since the Execs know to some extent what hardcore ST fans want but what does the general viewing public like? By commissioning a focus group of twenty to thirty somethings, they can get a bead on their desires and dislikes and present it to their money Masters. 'Sure the fans like this but the focus group shat on it!' and the trouble is you inevitably play it safe, making a carbon copy of what went before just with new characters.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 June, 2017, 06:40:41 AM

Hats = suspicious.

Or something.

If they start shoving that hat-wearing agenda down my throat, I won't be watching. Kids shouldn't be brainwashed into wearing hats

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Yeah, I've had a team working on this over the past few weeks, and what we've come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts. One: People aren't wearing enough hats. Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this "soul" does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 01 June, 2017, 12:04:49 PM
Yeah, I've had a team working on this over the past few weeks, and what we've come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts. One: People aren't wearing enough hats. Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this "soul" does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

The Very Big Corporation of America Ltd, at the Companies House website.

Goaty

First pictures of Jason Isaacs as captain of the Discovery

TordelBack

There's something about that uniform that just screams Captain Link Hearthrob.

Michael Knight

Didn't know Jason Isaccs in this. Great actor as is Michelle Yeoh.

I know I'm gonna give this a go but it just don't feel like Star Trek from what ive seen so far. I actually enjoyed ST:Enterprise but another prequel doesn't really feel necessary.