Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

BBC/Netflix's Watership Down remake looks as if they subcontracted the CG to a bloke called Dave they got talking to down the pub, who swore his brother used to work for Pixar.

Tjm86

I know who you mean ... he did work for Pixar ... in the canteen!

Tiplodocus

Who read LES MISERABLES and thought "You know, this would make a CRACKING musical!"?

Handsomely mounted and cast but my it has some clunky dialogue.

It took me ages to clock that Felix from episode 1 was the same bloke from the in-house Cineworld advert. Well done mate, I've seen you twice and wanted to twat you on both occasions.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Did anyone think of "it pays to be mental" during this week's Fleabag? (the scene in the garden with the priest)  :lol:

Fungus

Didn't but you're right  :)

Jim_Campbell

Is none of you freakin' mothercrunchers watching Doom Patrol?! There's been a lot of variation from the Morrison/Case series but it's unmistakably based on that version. It's annoyingly hard to make sense of the timeline sometimes, and they've divorced Mr Nobody from the 'Painting That Ate Paris' plotline, but there are great raw slabs of that Morrison run chucked at the screen in a way I genuinely never thought I'd see. Seriously. SPOILERS-> [spoiler]Willoughby Kipling. The Decreator. Danny the Street. The Underground. Driver 8 and Black fucking Annis, fer chrissake.[/spoiler]

I will say that one area the series deviates from the Morrison version is with the Negative Man, but the Larry stuff has been excellent. I can't step back from the source material, so maybe this makes NO SENSE to everyone else, but I've shed genuine tears of joy at seeing comics that meant so much to me rendered faithfully as live action. Brendan Fraser just is Cliff Steele and Diane Guerrero fucking kills it as Crazy Jane.

Nine episodes in and I never expected to see this much Grant Morrison on my TV screen. And I have fuckin' S2 of Happy as well!

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Radbacker

Yes I'm enjoying Doom Patrol imensly, much more the Titans, Aloong with Cliff and Crazy Jane Mr Nobody is another highlight for me he also does a great job as the narrator in a wonderful Morrison meta way.   Danny the Street episode was just class.
Didn't know Happy season 2 had dropped my gut have to have a poke around see where it's at or when it might drop on Netflix.

CU Radbacker

Dandontdare

... waiting (impatiently) for it to arrive on netflix

Fungus

Mardroid

What We Do in the Shadows: TV series. 9:45 tonight on bbc2. I enjoyed the film a lot, so I'm looking forward to how the TV series format will do with it.

I'm kind of hoping it will be about other vampires in the same world rather than a State-side remake.

Theblazeuk

Pleasantly surprised by Years and Years on the Beeb, R.T.Davies traits are all over bits of it but generally, funny, interesting and a little close to home. The female Nigel Farage-a-like is spot on and spot on in the "She's great" "She's a monster" dichotomy of viewer reaction.

Link Prime

The finale for new BBC comedy Ghosts is on tonight.
I kinda stumbled across this a few weeks ago, and hit the record button on a whim.
Really glad I did - it takes a few minutes to adjust to the almost old school tone of comedy, but once you have there's a lot to enjoy.
Any scenes with Julian, the smarmy politician who literally died with his pants down, are particularity great.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 May, 2019, 05:59:28 PM
Full trailer for the new Swamp Thing TV series, about which I am cautiously optimistic.

First episode was pretty good. Opens up a bit of distance between this version and any of the comic book series that I've read, but that's OK. The production values are decent, and I'm hopeful they might swing back round to the Moore/Bissette/Totleben/Veitch/Alcala material later on, since they've left enough points of contact with the comics not to cut that off completely.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

I've only seen the trailer

It seems very dark in Louisiana - does nothing happen in daytime?