Main Menu

Hello - new to 2000AD - reading recommendations?

Started by Chancer, 20 January, 2009, 02:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

Apart from everything that is listed here [theres a lot of it i dont know either yet] i would say that the reading of 2000ad progs 1 to 500 is essential and unmissable and unputdownable and unforgetable plus any strip that was drawn by Massimo Belardinelli.Genius.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TheEdge

as long as you dont mind foul language sex and violence i suggest

The Boys.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Chancer

Thanks for all your input.  I picked up the first TPB of The Boys yesterday and it seems to be right up my street.  I've also ordered the first couple of Nikolai Dante TPB's and Judge Dredd: America - should get me started!  But I'll definitely be returning to this thread for future purchases.

Another question, and please excuse my ignorance.  I was looking at the Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog complete case files in Waterstones, and just wondered - were the original runs in black and white, or is it a cost saving measure for these collections?

And as suggested, some of my favourite movies:-

The Godfather
Fight Club
Pi
Memento
Oldboy

Books:-

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk or Bret Easton Ellis

TordelBack

Quotewere the original runs in black and white, or is it a cost saving measure for these collections?

Mostly.  Zero to two colour pages per episode were the norm for Dredd in the issues thus far case-filed, the only exceptions generally being stories from Annuals or Specials.  I think some early Strontium Dog may have been in colour over in Starlord before he came to 2000AD, and Journey into Hell had a colour centrespread, IIRC.  But basically you're getting it pretty much as it appeared in the 70's and 80's, at a slightly smaller size on marginally better paper.

Hoagy

QuoteAnything by Chuck Palahniuk or Bret Easton Ellis

Can I recommend Gutsville by Simon Spurrier?

He pointed out a Chuck Palahniuk short story to the board once is all.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: "Chancer"And as suggested, some of my favourite movies:-

The Godfather
Fight Club
Pi
Memento
Oldboy

Books:-

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk or Bret Easton Ellis

That's what I'm talking about! From your list of favorites I can tell you are a man that likes intelligent stories and decent characterization with your balls-out grotesque violence. My friend you have come to the right comic. Here are my other recommendations based on that criteria. Gonna get international

The Punisher MAX (Born and Vol 1-10) by Garth Ennis: About a heartless mass-murderer who happens to choose criminals as his victims.

MW by Osamu Tezuka: A Catholic priest attempts to prevent his serial killing lover from releasing neurotoxins on Tokyo.

Blackhole by Charles Burns: Explores the normal teen angst that occurs when the STD running through your high-school is turning your friends into mutants.

Son of a Gun by Jodorowsky and Bess: The rise of a Mexican gangster to the top of the food-chain and then sainthood. Has the only occasion of a transvestite midget hooker suicide bombing a Catholic church with a go-cart that I know of.

Beyond Palomar by Gilbert hernandez: The shockingly violent early years of a small town Mexican matriarch and stories of her children's lives in LA.

The Invisibles By Grant Morrison: Metaphysical revolutionaries take on the metaphysical status-quo.

Torpedo 1936 by Abuli and Bernet: A thoroughly reprehensible little hood's life in Chicago 1936. Out of print but sometimes you can find a copy at a used bookstore.

Eddie Current by Ted McKeever: An insane asylum inmate escapes and over the next twelve hours attempts to save the world from pernicious radio influences in his newly purchased Amazing Broccoli superhero costume. Punkrock in comic book form IMHO.

satchmo

Seeing as I'm going through a Mo' Better Manga phase, I'm nicking that Tezuka recommendation...

stront692

hello chancer, would recomd'

in 2000ad

the first skizz (classic and much better than ET) - i dare you not to feel compassion for Loz by the end of it
strontium dog - wanted is the best story and around prog 300 to 400 range when the strip was in its heyday and almost weekly
rogue trooper again pre 400 is teh period when teh strip was at its best

not in 2000ad

maus
bone (a must for all closet reds fans) jeff smith is the new walt disney and i await the bone animated feature film
new statesmen (a british superhero strip)
early warrior magazines

stront692

oh and zenith

mustnt forget zenith, book 3 is best