Main Menu

Happy Birthday......

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 09 December, 2015, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 December, 2015, 05:43:12 PM
I seriously doubt that Gordon knows anything more about your life than what you've told us all on the board, TS.

Indeed.

Michael, there are two possibilities here. The first, as you suggest, is that from here in Scotland I'm in touch with the legal authorities in whatever the hell part of Australia you live in, and they happily provided me with the priviliged information about your assault on your father.

The second is that you told us about this when it happened, and that's how I know it.

Which of these is more likely, and also suggests - as everyone keeps telling you - you need medical help to regain a better sense of what's actually happening around you?

sheridan

Happy birthday to TS, and to Spikes and anybody else whose birthday it's been!

ThryllSeekyr

I hope to get over my problems when I move out and start life afresh as I can even if I'm only moving to a suburb on the other side of town.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 14 December, 2015, 06:12:40 AM
I hope to get over my problems when I move out and start life afresh as I can even if I'm only moving to a suburb on the other side of town.

And we hope you do too. Happy Birthday.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 14 December, 2015, 06:12:40 AM

It's bound to help, mate -having control of your own space is great.  But as Buckaroo Banzai tells us, no matter where you go, there you are. So please don't dismiss the idea of getting help - I really think that if what you have been given in the past hasn't helped you, need to keep pushing for something else. You have to keep working at getting better, there's no pill or trick that'll sort you out once and for all, but you must never give up trying. And I'm being a complete hypocrite here, since asking for - and accepting - help is something I find almost impossible to do.

I think if you could get things sorted out in your head, you'd see the events and people in your life very differently. The picture your posts paint is of a family that wants the best for you (otherwise why would they care at all about where you, an adult, live?), even if it's not easy for you to see from where you are. I know that when I'm suffering from depression, my own mental problem, every little thing seems to be either my fault, or the result of some universal and justifiable contempt the rest of the world holds me in - even the most loving gesture seems like a patronising, controlling or sneering sleight. It's probably different for you, but there seem to be some similarities: while I'm in that state all this awful stuff is utterly true to me, indeed every other thing I've ever thought seems like a lie or a naive misconception. In that state I'm convinced that this is the only time I see the world and myself clearly for what they really are.  When it passes, it's equally hard to accept that I ever believed these terrible things so completely.  I would hope that if you could get the appropriate help that worked for you, you'd be able to get this kind of perspective that would allow you to see that they're really not all against you, and everything would be better.

Anyway, I wish you all the very best in your new place(s), and keep the chin up - new Slaine sometime next year, after all.

The Legendary Shark

This was a very difficult thread to read.
Before I say anything else, you should remember that I'm an opinionated dick who never saw the world the way most other people seem to. This led to a lot of frustration and anger on my part (sometimes it still does) and I understand how easy it can be to lash out in one way or another. To understand, though, is not to condone. That lashing out always left me feeling worthless and even evil.
Like you, I have a deep mistrust of pharmaceutical remedies but sometimes, like it or like it not, drugs are part of the answer.
Things changed for me after my heart attacks.
Now, I'm not suggesting you need a brush with death to help you change. One of the things that helped me start to leave all that shit behind was the realisation that although other people wound me up, it was also other people who cared enough to help me survive. The world is full of good people - and the proof of that statement is glaringly obvious from the concern shown for you by others on this very thread.
My humble suggestion is that you seek out those good people willing and keen to help you. Sure, those people can be annoying but I think it's more the fact of not wanting to admit you need other people that's annoying, not the people themselves. In the final analysis, human beings are social animals and, whether we like it or not, we need human contact to be well. I think you know this, otherwise why would you want to be part of the cosplay community and go to such lengths over creating the perfect Gandalf costume so that you can "fit in" to at least one small part of humanity? Cosplay, though, (again in my humble and dickish opinion) is not enough. You need to be around other people who understand, people who know what you're going through upon whom you can lean and who can also lean on you.
If I were you, I would consider reaching out to others who have experienced or are experiencing similar problems. To that end, I've found a few organisations that might help you work through your challenges:
Grow
Black Dog Institute
SANE Australia
Mental Health Foundation of Australia
Beyondblue
Mind Australia
Mental Health Association QLD
I hope you can find something in that lot to help you, TS. I don't think there is any better medicine than basic human contact.
My best wishes to you.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 December, 2015, 06:38:29 PM
This was a very difficult thread to read.
Before I say anything else, you should remember that I'm an opinionated dick who never saw the world the way most other people seem to.

I'm just going to respond with this from George Bernard Shaw:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 December, 2015, 06:38:29 PM

Like you, I have a deep mistrust of pharmaceutical remedies but sometimes, like it or like it not, drugs are part of the answer.

One of the things that helped me start to leave all that shit behind was the realisation that although other people wound me up, it was also other people who cared enough to help me survive. The world is full of good people - and the proof of that statement is glaringly obvious from the concern shown for you by others on this very thread.
My humble suggestion is that you seek out those good people willing and keen to help you.
If I were you, I would consider reaching out to others who have experienced or are experiencing similar problems. I don't think there is any better medicine than basic human contact.
My best wishes to you.

I know I'm not the only one on this board who manages mental health issues and like you Sharky, I'm distrustful of medication as a solution because of family experience.  I would back up you point about alternative support 100%.  Although it can be incredibly difficult to break down any fear of trust, it is worth it.  Having paid out of my own pocket for professional support to deal with issues I can honestly say that there are not only well meaning but also highly effective people out there to help make life better.  It has also helped to make difficult family relationships better.

I think we would all agree that life is hard at the best of times and even harder when you have to cope with baggage of any kind.  I sincerely hope that you find someone that helps you in a way that you feel comfortable with and that next birthday we can all celebrate the fact that you are in a far better place.

And to close with the immortal words of Dr Sidney Friedman:

"You know, I told you people something a long time ago, and it's just as pertinent today as it was then. Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice. "

Bolt-01