Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Woohoo. I have just finished my re-read of the Kindly Ones so I am just about keeping pace with you. Thanks for doing these, and hope the life stuff is all sorted.

Timothy

JayzusB.Christ

Cheers, Eamonn.  Hope your personal stuff is sorted.  Still the best prog-based podcast out there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eamonn Clarke

After 130 episodes it's finally time for Commando Forces John Burdis to join the book club. We talk about a collection of three Rico novels by Michael Carroll, the Cellar of Dredd, southern contingent gatherings, and that other podcast of his.

Listen in on your podcast app or at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2020/09/131-rico-dredd-titan-years.html

WhizzBang

Nice one Eammon and John. I don't think the novels get the attention they deserve but they are good, especially the ones set long before the comic continuity like this, Judges and Year 1, 2. Michael Carroll's name on the cover is practically a mark of quality too.

sheridan

Timothy

Eamonn, slight hijack, but I have a Handful of Dust query you may be able to help with. I have been reading along with the podcasts and know that you like the references to other comics characters who pop up. There were a few in The Wake that you referenced but one that went unmentioned and it is niggling me. It was the character in a top hat with a purple flower bud face. I seem to remember a short story where he fell in love and when he raised his hat the flower opened but I can't remember where from. It's not from earlier in The Sandman or it would have been fresh in my mind. Was it the prog? Can you help?

Eamonn Clarke

Hi, Timothy. We haven't been able to answer your question so far but we'll keep looking and mention it on an upcoming episode to see if any other listeners know the answer.

Timothy

Thanks, Eamonn. It's really bugging me. It's quite a distinctive character and he appears in a few panels. Of course the story I am partially remembering may well be something completely different and this will be an obscure DC character that I have never heard of. Really enjoying the podcasts.

Eamonn Clarke

Garry Hill is back with the dark side of superheroics from Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson.
In your podcasts app or at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2020/09/132-boys.html

Bostin!

Andy B

Another great show!

The Boys isn't top tier Ennis, but it's fun. However, it cannot be emphasized enough that, as the series goes on, it's not for the easily offended. If you did a 'Handful of Dust' style trigger warning, it would go on for several pages.

The TV series keeps the good stuff, dumps the not so good stuff, and adds more good stuff: For me, it's comprehensively better than the comic.

That said, for British readers of a certain age, the mini-series "Highland Laddie" is highly recommended. I'll be surprised if we see the Reverend Dandy on TV...

JayzusB.Christ

I'd take The Boys over Preacher any day of the week; both in the comics and on TV.  Looking forward to this podcast!  I have a particularly boring painting job to do tomorrow; that will get me through it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"