Main Menu

Marvel Superheroes hit Netflix

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 28 May, 2014, 04:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 30 November, 2018, 08:54:45 AM
At some point there will be an implosion, and this might be Netflix anticipating it.

But then why do a big money deal with Mark Millar?

I'm assuming that the Marvel thing is either coming from Disney, or is retaliation by Netflix for Disney's streaming plans. I imagine the Millar thing was, at least in part, a move to fill that part of their schedule that wasn't reliant on other people's IP and thus prone to this sort of thing.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Yeah I'm wondering what Disney/Marvel will do with the properties - even the series that have already been made.

Fisk mashing someones head in a car door doesn't seem like the kind of thing Disney would want on their streaming services.

Unless they set up a Touchstone equivalent for streaming, or the Netflix series already made stay there?

TordelBack

You'd imagine that the DC TV shows have a much wider potential audience - my own kids enjoy them, The Flash and Supergirl in particular,  whereas it'll be a while yet before I sanction their access to the brutality of many of the Defenders stable. Not that I object to that direction myself, but it must restrict family viewing options for what are, at the end of the day, Marvel Superhero TV shows, and might be expected to perform as such.

How the Millarerse fits in there is anyone's guess...

Steve Green

Yeah, it's a bit odd with an explicit link to the MCU as well.

DD season 2 was the last one I watched - there's just too much of it out there for me to keep up.

TordelBack

That's the real problem for me - there's just too many episodes. Everytime I make a dent in one show, twice as many episodes seem to have appeared across the rest. Given the way they are released in a chunk, shorter more concentrated seasons would have suited me better.

With the DC shows appearing on telly, and being relatively kid-friendly, I have no problem dipping in and out as they cross my path of a weekend or evening. With the Marvel stuff I feel obliged to watch every season from the start, and then resent the commitment and time, and either stop or never start.

There's no comparison in quality between say Arrow and Daredevil, but I bet I've watched (or at least been in the same room as) more episodes of Arrow.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 30 November, 2018, 10:56:38 AM
Yeah, it's a bit odd with an explicit link to the MCU as well.

DD season 2 was the last one I watched - there's just too much of it out there for me to keep up.

Well, if you feel like catching up from there...

Luke Cage S1 — I liked this more than some, and it lays a lot of groundwork for the significantly-better S2.

Iron Fist S1 — There's a good series in here trying to get out, but it never manages it. There's a fight sequence a few episodes in where they suddenly go split-screen and you think it's going to embrace the 1970s kung-fu vibe it should have been going for all along... but it doesn't. You can skip this completely if you already know who Danny/Iron Fist is, since that's all you need for...

Defenders S1 — I thought this was solidly entertaining. Elektra is substantially less annoying than in Daredevil S2 (which I thought suffered from being great except for all the bits with Daredevil in) and it sets up DD S3.

The Punisher S1 — I thought this was great. Perhaps not if you're a big fan of the comics... I'm not, so I can't really say, but this doesn't pretend to have any easy answers to the questions it poses, especially about the damage done to men who serve, and even manages some sly humour on the subject of male friendship. Quite a lot of wince-inducing violence.

Jessica Jones S2 — This is a weird one. I didn't hate any of the individual episodes, but somehow this seemed completely unsatisfying as a series. I'd argue that this is skippable, too.

Luke Cage S2 — A step up from S1. Worth a watch. Also, Misty Knight.

Iron Fist S2 — Much more like it. It's still a little po-faced, and they could have dialled it up a lot more, but Danny is about 80% less annoying. Also, Misty Knight. :-)

Daredevil S3 — Now more or less the gold standard for these. Tight, muscular plotting. Good acting throughout and D'Onofrio's Kingpin is magnificent. Possibly docked a point for lack of Misty Knight.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

dweezil2

Space left for a Judge Dredd TV show-result!!!  :D :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 November, 2018, 10:47:24 AM
You'd imagine that the DC TV shows have a much wider potential audience - my own kids enjoy them, The Flash and Supergirl in particular,  whereas it'll be a while yet before I sanction their access to the brutality of many of the Defenders stable.

I've found the DC shows just as brutal, if not more so because every episode of these shows features brutal murders and assaults despite their garish trappings and simplistic moralising.  All these meaningless deaths achieve is the desensitisation of the viewers until it doesn't even register that Green Arrow's superpower is his ability to stab people and he's now murdered more people than Israel.

IndigoPrime

Horses for courses with MCU on Netflix. My take's rather different from Jim's:

LC S1: Plodding, but quite nice. Should have been done in half the episode count. Good characters. Quite dull.
IF S1: Almost unwatchable. Danny Rand and his Glowing Hand is a first-order arsehole. Much of the rest of the cast appear to have forgotten how to act. The plotting varies between abysmal and pointless.
Def S1: Surprisingly OK, albeit in part because it's short. The characters mostly work well together. Some unnecessary sexism lobbed at JJ.
Pun S1: Perhaps the biggest surprise. Frank's a fuckwit, but it works, and although they should have trimmed the season by at least three episodes, it's coherent and watchable. It does feel like they don't really need to do any more, mind.
JJ S2: A mite disappointing to me, compare to the superb first season. Still watchable though, and for me among the best of the Netflix series.
LC S2: We're about a third of the way through and it's pretty slow. Mrs IP isn't really interested after [spoiler]a domestic violence incident that, yes, shows the male lead again to be a massive fuckwit[/spoiler]. It's like copy and paste sometimes...
IF S2: No way am I ever watching this.
DD S3: Ibid.

Bolt-01

IP; If you suffered through Iron fist S1, then you should make the effort for S2. After a slow start it really picks up and the final episode is, IMO, superb.

DDS3 is just superb from beginning to end. So much more focused.

As for the future- I'm hoping that the 3rd JJ season incorporates a resolution to Luke Cage S2- I don't like how Luke was left at the end of that show and would welcome a crossover that returned Luke to his state of grace position.

I think that Punisher S2 will be the finale for the shows, but Netflix have said these shows aren't going away.

I reckon Disney will fold them into its streaming alongside a lot of the ABC channel shows, maybe even absorbing the likes of the Gifted, Runaways and Cloak & Dagger.

IndigoPrime

I can't stomach any more Iron Fist. We very nearly abandoned S01 and I wish we had done that. It was just awful. From what I've read elsewhere, I know it ends well, but then given that it's not continuing, I'm not sure I want to put in the effort.

DD3: I hated the second season, bar the bits with Karen. Daredevil is just a prick. Mrs IP absolutely won't watch that, and I have very little time to watch TV on my own, so it's a no-go (or, at the very least, way down the queue for my telly time during exercise).

Netflix can say that it likes, but if Daredevil's cancelled, that's it. This strand is done. And given the horrible mess of ownership and the fact there's been no crossover of MCU and Netflix MCU, I won't be surprised if Disney just reboots the shots it thinks will work in a more conventional and family friendly set-up. (As in: don't expect to ever see JJ and Punisher again, and for some of the others to be heavily sanitised.)

broodblik

Punisher was great.

Yes, I am sure the whole superhero thing is going to implode on itself. I am already at this point that most of the Marvel movies I find like episodes of the A-team different villain different environment same basics story-line (and more of the same idiotic decisions made by the so-called heroes). It seams almost like these are the only movies that is making money so this is what we will get for the rest our lives. All originally is gone (thank you Disney for that one)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

I know this is a very common refrain, but I really don't see the "sameiness" of MCU movies. Recently: Thor 3, Antman 2, Black Panther, GotG 2, Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Infinity War. With the possible exception of elements from GotG and BP repeating in Infinity War, that's a pretty diverse range of films. I think it's a balancing act between cohesiveness and individuality that Marvel are handling very well.

Professor Bear

People keep saying it because CinemaSins keeps saying it in their fine, fine videos full of considered observations.
I've heard suggestions that people dismiss the MCU movies as "all the same" because it's a way to establish cool kid hipster cred by not being impressed with things that other people like, but it would be unfair of me to (subtle pause) dismiss a wide range of contributions by homogenising them.

These shows have been explicitly part of the MCU, so any reboots would have to be done with legacy characters or be set in their own self-contained universe, though I don't see there being any hurry to reboot middling successes and outright failures just for the sake of having the IPs in circulation.  If Disney/Marvel are that worried about keeping the brands out there, they'll just revive them in a show like Super Hero Squad (or whatever that thing with the bobbleheaded characters was).
I would be pretty surprised if there isn't a massive loophole for quietly rebooting elements of the MCU at the end of Avengers 4, mind.