Main Menu

Chief Judge Griffin

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 24 August, 2018, 05:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I can just about remember him being Chief Judge in 'real time' (well, plus 122 years, I suppose) but have just found out his first name was Jurgen (with an umlaut I don't know how to type). 

I don't remember this being his name, nor his first name ever being mentioned - surely this was a retcon in light of his being played by Jurgen Prochnow?

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Where did you see that?

I also don't remember him being named in the Prog.

Richard

His name appeared on bank notes on a Lenny Zero cover in 2012.

Richard

Richard

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 24 August, 2018, 05:39:30 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 24 August, 2018, 05:22:15 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 August, 2018, 05:17:20 PM
I can just about remember him being Chief Judge in 'real time' (well, plus 122 years, I suppose) but have just found out his first name was Jurgen (with an umlaut I don't know how to type). 

I don't remember this being his name, nor his first name ever being mentioned - surely this was a retcon in light of his being played by Jurgen Prochnow?

Where did you see that? I also don't remember him being named in the Prog.

His name appeared on bank notes on a Lenny Zero cover in 2012:

http://2000adcovers.blogspot.com/2012/07/ben-wilsher-art-of-lenny-who.html

Everyone's right!

Griffin was never given a forename in the strip, 'Jurgen' debuted on the cover of prog 1792, and it was a reference* to the casting of Prochnow in the misbegotten 1995 film. Seems to have stuck in fan circles, although I can't remember it being mentioned again in the comic.

*Ben Willsher's coinage, presumably. Willsher has demonstrated an ability to insert himself into the creative process and impose his personality on stories in a way few artists manage. Kev O'Neill, with his similar propensity for graffiti, is the obvious example; Brendan McCarthy and Simon Bisley, too, in different ways

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 24 August, 2018, 07:05:28 PM
Seems to have stuck in fan circles, although I can't remember it being mentioned again in the comic.

No reason it would be mentioned again in the comic - has Griffin actually been mentioned since in the comic?  Or Goodman, McGruder, Silver, et al?  Chief Judges don't tend to get mentioned all that often once they've been killed by Dredd (well, it's the most common cause of death for most of 'em, isn't it?) unless the story is specifically about the past.

Richard

Griffin had a cameo in Trifecta.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 25 August, 2018, 12:29:09 AM
No reason it would be mentioned again in the comic - has Griffin actually been mentioned since in the comic?  Or Goodman, McGruder, Silver, et al?  Chief Judges don't tend to get mentioned all that often once they've been killed by Dredd (well, it's the most common cause of death for most of 'em, isn't it?) unless the story is specifically about the past.

Not sure about that. McGruder's crazy schemes (weaponised Dune Sharks, for example) get regular airings, as do Volt's attempts to integrate Judges into the community through placing them in blocks and limiting sleep machines, and the general shoddiness of everything in the Sinfield era was a hot topic for a while. Hershey has been compared to Goodman in terms of longevity, and Cal of course is seldom far from anyone's thoughts.  And then there's Fargo.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Richard on 24 August, 2018, 06:05:37 PM
Actually ignore that, this is better:

Thanks! I saw the name 'Jürgen Griffin' on Wikipedia initially, and can add the umlaut when using my phone to type.  I like the retconned first name; it somehow suits him.

'Barbara Hershey' always seemed a bit odd, being a real person's name, and Margaret Hilda McGruder seemed to have been her name before it was Hilda Margaret.  But they're all good.

Only Cal should never have a retconned surname.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

I assumed Cal was his surname. I imagine his first name was something lengthy and exotic, like Hieronymous, or inappropriately normal, like Steve. Steve Cal, Chief Judge.

Richard

Cal is most definitely a surname!
I love "Hieronymous!"

Trout

Will someone please provide Judge Slocum with a first name? It's an open goal, really.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 August, 2018, 12:11:42 PM
Quote from: Richard on 24 August, 2018, 06:05:37 PM
Actually ignore that, this is better:

Thanks! I saw the name 'Jürgen Griffin' on Wikipedia initially, and can add the umlaut when using my phone to type.  I like the retconned first name; it somehow suits him.

'Barbara Hershey' always seemed a bit odd, being a real person's name, and Margaret Hilda McGruder seemed to have been her name before it was Hilda Margaret.  But they're all good.

Only Cal should never have a retconned surname.

Retconned first name, I meant!  Hieronymus works for me. Or something Roman, like Octavius or Tacitus or summat.

Richard