Main Menu

150 Car Pile-Up

Started by critter, 24 May, 2003, 05:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

critter

Local a stretch of about 30miles, sudden, dense fog settled in alon I-68. Several accidents occured, involving 100-150 cars, hundreds of injuries and 2 confirmed deaths.

Criter the Doomsayer

Devons Daddy

the states gets closer to Mega city one with every passing day.

did the locals go and salavage what they could from the wounded then critter? .
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Oddboy

Sheesh,

I hope no one you know was injured.
Better set your phaser to stun.

critter

I hope no one you know was injured.

Thankfully not. Though I live whee all the other traffic was devirted, so going anywhere last night was not an option. Though when I heard about the accident the amount of vehicles involved and the injuries were unconfirmed

Critter
http://www.angelfire.com/md/MegaCity1Links/images/wreck.jpg">

critter

What started with a five-car pileup in the eastbound lanes of I-68 between the 29 and 30 mile markers soon escalated to a massive collision course, causing closure of the highway from Grantsville to LaVale.

?We got the initial call at 1:15 p.m. for five vehicles involved. It grew from there, and it?s now both lanes. We?re hearing up to 100 to 150 vehicles, but that?s not confirmed,? said Brad Frantz, director of emergency management for Garrett County around 4 p.m.

Maryland State Police at McHenry responded to the second, larger accident reported at 2:15 p.m. in the westbound lanes of the interstate.

Foggy conditions apparently made it difficult to immediately determine the exact number of vehicles involved.

Frantz said four forensic investigators from Garrett County were either on the scene or en route.

?Fog conditions are extremely hazardous so people need to limit their travel. This is obviously a very dense fog area,? said Frantz.

State police later reported 85 vehicles in the accident, including a few tractor-trailers. Police said about 80 accident victims were transported to Memorial and Sacred Heart hospitals in Cumberland, although a spokeswoman for the Western Maryland Health System said 64 patients were treated.

State police confirmed two fatalities, although names were not available.

Eastern Garrett County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department in Finzel was set up to receive accident victims who were not injured and had no place to go.

?We do have uninjured people at our station until the state police can coordinate efforts to get their vehicles. Most of these vehicles were trapped in the accident, maybe not damaged, but cannot move in any direction because they?re bottlenecked in,? said Jim Raley, president of the fire company.

?I do not see anyone here who is injured, but there are people whose vehicles have been damaged,? he said.

Raley said weather conditions consisted of rain and drizzle and extremely dense fog as he was trying to get to the station to coordinate the efforts there.

?I saw the multiple vehicles that were in the westbound lane. I came up from LaVale and there was no traffic. There were multiple vehicles scattered throughout the road, most in the median,? said Raley, mentioning that he could only see the westbound lane.

Raley said numerous emergency medical technicians and first responders were on the scene from the Eastern Garrett company.

?We?re looking at some time to probably clean it up,? said Raley.

A state police officer also was at the Eastern Garrett fire station taking statements from victims.

The Garrett County Sheriff?s Office was taking most of the calls in the Garrett County area in place of state police officers who were busy with the accident.

Three ambulances from Cumberland Fire Department responded to the two accidents, according to Capt. Paul Parish.

?In addition to that, we had three other ambulance calls we answered during that particular time as well,? he said.

Maryland State Police at LaVale barrack said crash team investigators from Pikesville were at the scene.

State police rerouted traffic in LaVale onto U.S. Route 40 to Frostburg. Allegany County Fire Police and officers from the Allegany County Sheriff?s Office assisted with traffic control from I-68 at McDonald?s to U.S. 40.

Police expected I-68 to be closed until Saturday morning.

The Allegany County Department of Emergency Services and Communications said 30 ambulances were on the scene from Cumberland, LaVale, Frostburg, Valley Medical, Tri-Towns, Mount Savage, Cresaptown, Corriganville, Somerset County, Garrett County and Georges Creek.

Other fire companies on the scene included Shaft, Frostburg, Grantsville, Midland, Cresaptown and LaVale.

Queen Firey-Bou

That is a rescue personell logistical Nightmare !
one of my trainers tells the tale of the frost black ice morning where 40 cars got messed at a main roundabout by Inverness, even one of the fire engines attending slid into the pile. no-one too hurt tho. amazing only 2 fatalities, imagine if that had happened in Uk with the speeds folk go at ?

drive careful you all now.

Devons Daddy

this was on TV in singapore last night.
you posted here 12 hours before the local network picked up on it.
very impressive.

but i would like  all script driods to note
Other fire companies on the scene included ft, Frostburg, Grantsville, Midland, Cresaptown and LaVale

any of these names would  be better then LOBSTER, and several other dodgy characters we had to cringe about in recent years.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Proudhuff

Is Weather Control working again?
DDT did a job on me

critter

this was on TV in singapore last night.
you posted here 12 hours before the local network picked up on it. very impressive.

Wow, this story made it across the pond.

Critter

critter

Is Weather Control working again?

I wish the Techs would kick it into gear. Its been unseasonably cold and have had allot more rain than usual.

Critter