Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 12 February, 2012, 07:32:51 AM
What say we merge this thread with this one, hmm?

No, no no no. This ones means that the rediscovered thread keeps its old remit of being about music people have found or stumbled across again. This one one can take all the posts about what certain people happen to be listening to at the time out the way of that one.

Gonk

a lot of acid with my breakfast this morning. maybe I should stick to cornflakes and avoid tomatoes?
coming at a cinema near you soon

Devons Daddy

Adele 21 and Cold Play xylo mylo? i think is the name that i downloaded and have been enjoying lots this month.
with a dash of Cage the Elephant. whom has some rather catchy tunes.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

I, Cosh

Quote from: wonkychop on 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM
I thought maybe this thread could be a bit like one of Jessie's diets... you know... today I am listening mostly to.....

The Sisters of Mercy
It's strange. I used to adore The Sisters of Mercy but now I don't really have any feelings for them at all. I put on First & Last & Always a year or so ago and it left me completely cold. Not even Some Kind of Stranger. I suppose this sort of thing is perfectly natural but I've never really noticed it happening before.  The evolution of my favouritest band in the world went something like ABBA -> Eurythmics → U2 → Sisters of Mercy → Pixies → my bloody valentine → whatever. I still really like at least some parts of the others' back catalogue.

Right now I'm listening to the classic sounds of Sharkboy's The Valentine Tapes (I wonder whatever  happened to them) but I've been listening to this quite a bit this week: A Place to Bury Strangers - Onwards to the Wall. It has a real feel of the echoey production sound of the post punk era and is all the better for it.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 February, 2012, 07:38:09 AM
Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 12 February, 2012, 07:32:51 AM
What say we merge this thread with this one, hmm?
No, no no no. This ones means that the rediscovered thread keeps its old remit of being about music people have found or stumbled across again. This one one can take all the posts about what certain people happen to be listening to at the time out the way of that one.
I'm very much fighting with YNWA block here.
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing

I dont listen to very much music if im honest, but talk of the sisters leads me to remember ive been going through a fair bit of their old stuff of late, along with the dreadful shadows, a euro band who obviously once wrote a 'dear jim, please will you fix it for us to sound like the sisters' letter, and had it answered. Oddly, despite the lack of patricia morrison (a name im entirely unable to type without seeing the video for dominion in my head and sighing with sexual pleasure) ive actually been preferring the german* clones this week.

SBT

*or norwegian, or whatever.

Gonk

Alright Cosh, SBT, yeah Floodland. Produced by Jim Steinman so it has a BIG sound to it. I have to be in the mood for it, otherwise I can't enjoy it. The track Marian, however, always puts a tingle up my spine.
ATOM HEART MOTHER

by Pink Floyd

I love Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast! oh what?

SmallBlueThing

Floodland was the first goth album i bought, and is directly responsible for most of my life up to this point, including meeting my wife and having children. And yet i dont own a copy of it anymore; the tape having snapped decades ago and all of my sisters stuff being cd singles, cd EPs and vinyl. Which doesnt help much as i dont own a record player.

SBT

bigjobs67

'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

DoomBot

Quote from: wonkychop on 11 February, 2012, 11:41:45 PM
evidence of a misspent youth

Now there's a welcome sight. Hawkwind. Best band in the multiverse. Hope they never ever stop and that Dave Brock is immortal. Given that he's 71 this year and was in fine form on tour last december I think he just might be... :)

Van Dom

Electric Six's newest album Heartbeats and Brainwaves. Wonderful stuff. This is their 8th album release in 8 years and they seem to come up with something new and diverse for each and every one. This latest one is a lot more electronic than previous offerings such as as Kill and Zodiac (which were more guitar heavy) but it works brilliantly all the same. Have had it on repeat on my ipod for about 2 weeks and just can't get bored of it.

I really need to see these guys in concert.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Gonk

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 February, 2012, 02:46:31 PM
Right now I'm listening to the classic sounds of Sharkboy's The Valentine Tapes (I wonder whatever  happened to them) but I've been listening to this quite a bit this week: A Place to Bury Strangers - Onwards to the Wall. It has a real feel of the echoey production sound of the post punk era and is all the better for it./quote]

Sounds a bit like Venus Fly Trap, good stuff.

Quote from: DoomBot on 12 February, 2012, 08:09:08 PM
Now there's a welcome sight. Hawkwind. Best band in the multiverse. Hope they never ever stop and that Dave Brock is immortal. Given that he's 71 this year and was in fine form on tour last december I think he just might be... :)

If you like the Sonic Assassins you'll probably love this album. Totally anarchic:

Gonk

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 February, 2012, 06:53:39 PM
Floodland was the first goth album i bought, and is directly responsible for most of my life up to this point, including meeting my wife and having children. And yet i dont own a copy of it anymore; the tape having snapped decades ago and all of my sisters stuff being cd singles, cd EPs and vinyl. Which doesnt help much as i dont own a record player.

SBT

This is just to remind people what a record player looks like, in case you've forgotten.
Steve Jobs, who bought us iPods to listen to, always listened to his music on vinyl.

Mudcrab

Steve Jobs always listened to vinyl? He he, he's just gone up in my estimations as evil genius. "Let the fools give me all their money buying my shitty iPods. Eeeeexcellent"  :lol:

Yes, I realise that was Mr Burns' voice  :D

I just bought my first "new" record deck not long ago, so glad I did. Aside from my old one dying a death, been getting quite a few things on vinyl again recently, so much better than CDs, never mind ripoff low quality mp3s!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Gonk

Hi Mudcrab, It was Neil Young in a recent interveiw who mentioned this.

James Stacey

Did Patricia Morrison ever actually record with the sisters ? I seem to remember reading somewhere AE only had her round to look good in photos / videos and didn't actually play on Floodland?